PDA

View Full Version : Any precautions before Arc/MIG welding on car.......

Chris'91'525i
05-09-2006, 05:39 PM
besides just disconnecting the Neg. battery cable ?

Thought I read in the Bentley manual you should disconnect the ABS electronics too.
I left my manual at my brothers house, and cannot find it in the PDF manual on the computer.

Also, is it BMW safe to use one of those computer memory saving devises you plug into the cigarette lighter outlet, when you disconnect the cars battery ?
Can you use it while welding on a new muffler too ?

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?sourceid=NO+SOURCE&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=71759&mscssid=VQL952EBLP0D8J95AQWRBDPSWCR4FB53

Scored a cherry OEM Boysen muffler on eBay for $9.99........Good thing it was local pickup. Otherwise it would have had $104. added for shipping.
According to the Bentley manual and realOEM.com I have the same muffler in my '91 525i M50 thats in the 535i M30, & 530i/540i M60 style cars.
It looks all original and nothing in the service records indicating a muffler replacement.
Maybe they mix and match parts on the early E34's ??

632 Regal
05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
I dont know for sure so for safetys sake id unplug the computers. Probably wont do anything but like I said, safety. Someone will know for sure though.

winfred
05-09-2006, 06:48 PM
welding on the exhaust will be fine without disconnecting anything, i wouldn't go near ac components or airbag components but the rest will be ok

Kalevera
05-09-2006, 06:54 PM
The biggest concern is setting something on fire. As long as the battery is disconnected, electronics should be fine.

About a year ago, we had a guy welding an exhaust into an E30 convert that belongs to the shop. The car was up on a lift at the guy's garage, the trunk was full. Something caught fire in the trunk. By the time the fire was recognized, the car lowered, the trunk opened (it was locked), and a fire extinguisher found and used, everything back there was destroyed. I spent days putting it back together.

best, whit

jjw
05-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Should be ok, I have resently mig welded the brake backing plate back together on the car.

joshua43214
05-09-2006, 08:04 PM
For what its worth, you may as well leave the battery connected if you are going to use a memory saver on any car. taking 1 battery out and putting another in in a diferent location doesnt acomplish anything.

Keep the welder away from computors and you should be fine.