PDA

View Full Version : Coil spring spacers on my e34?

nicholas.solutions
05-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Just put on some 16x7.5 Itallia rims w/ 225/55/16 Michelin Pilots. The rear wheel extends into the well nearly an inch. I don't like the way it looks and am wondering if I can put a coil-spring spacer in there. What are my other options to raise my rear end a little? Any good ideas guys?

Dave M
05-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Are you running the stock suspension? I only ask because worn rear shocks/springs will allow the rear end to sag, lifting the front end to exagerate the gap up front. This is how my car sat before I did the sachs lowering thing. I believe this is why many (including myself) see a greater than 'advertised' lowering in the front end, and even a rise in the rear (which is why I post this for you). My ass sagged :) before the operation and was lifted noticabely after.

By firming up the suspension, it may even out your stance and solve the problem.

Dave M

nicholas.solutions
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, stock, probably original, suspension. I figured worn shocks were part of the problem. Still curious about spacers though, might be sweet to sit a little high in the rear end, a slight slope down from back to front. Saw a 740i once that looked like that, looked nice.

Russell
05-09-2006, 02:09 PM
IMO it would really hamper the handling and ride.

Dave M
05-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah, stock, probably original, suspension. I figured worn shocks were part of the problem. Still curious about spacers though, might be sweet to sit a little high in the rear end, a slight slope down from back to front. Saw a 740i once that looked like that, looked nice.

I think the consensus here would be to replace your original suspension (get a sachs kit or equivalent), see how that feels/looks, then toy with other measures. I have a feeling you'll be satisfied with the results and forget about spacres and such.

This is my 525 with eibachs and boges, 3mm spring pads up front.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Misc/Apr182006003.jpg

Dave M

genphreak
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah, stock, probably original, suspension. I figured worn shocks were part of the problem. Still curious about spacers though, might be sweet to sit a little high in the rear end, a slight slope down from back to front. Saw a 740i once that looked like that, looked nice.Replacing your rear shocks can raise the car an inch or two. Pilots are a waste on shocks that dead, but when they go they don't go like a normal shock; my theory is that they must stop returning to the original high point and keep what pressure they still have across a shorter (lower) throw, so you don't notice them chipping about in normal driving. A lot of people think the car has been lowered when the shock gets this bad. People like to freshen the springs, but how much an autos spring screws up over time I don't know- they don't seem to sag or elongate on our cars much, and most people that change them out replace them with a sport spring or something else so the comparisons are mostly useless.

But then again, DaveM is right as a Sashs kit is really something all e34s need...

SchnellE34
05-09-2006, 05:42 PM
This is my 525 with eibachs and boges, 3mm spring pads up front

Dave M

Dave those are different wheels than in your sig. Did you just put those on?

632 Regal
05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
you may have drop springs in there right now! Look at the front spring, note color and if theres any names imprinted into it and post back.

Just put on some 16x7.5 Itallia rims w/ 225/55/16 Michelin Pilots. The rear wheel extends into the well nearly an inch. I don't like the way it looks and am wondering if I can put a coil-spring spacer in there. What are my other options to raise my rear end a little? Any good ideas guys?

nicholas.solutions
05-09-2006, 08:17 PM
All good advice, thanks. No drop springs in the rear. Need to do a little research on the sachs kits. And I realise that a spacer will not enhance my handling or ride at all, quite the oposite. I used to put alot of coil-spring spacers on Jeeps and Landrovers with body and suspension lifts to soak up the differences. Still wondering if someone makes some for an e34 or anyone knows of an application. It's also a budget thing. I know I need to redo the suspension but I just bought tires I can't afford (great advice tho) and some rims so I want a cheap, temp fix for my cosmetic concerns. Then I can start saving for the bilstiens

632 Regal
05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Bilsteins huh....

Dave M
05-10-2006, 02:22 AM
Dave those are different wheels than in your sig. Did you just put those on?

Yep, those were a wedding gift from a friend in the states. 16" baskets.

I'll be selling the 15" racing dynamics 'cheap' if someone wants a nice set of winter wheels.

Dave M