PDA

View Full Version : Headlight adjustment gone wrong

Felixdacat
05-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Whats up everyone? Today i went to get lights adjusted, and that went well. This is where it went wrong....The tech backed the car up so the bumper hanges over the curb and grass. When I pull away, I hear a terrible noise at the rear. got out, and found my bumper skirt hanging over my tailpipes. It seems that when the car was put in drive it likes to squat. Inturn catching the curb and tearing the bumper. I am pissed. They won't cover the damage, and I even offered to just get a used cover and do the work myself, and they will need to pay just for cover. WRONG They say its the cars fault for squatting when going into drive, and that I was the person pulling out of the parking spot. Any suggestions? suck it up and take one for the team, or bust out some Peckers windows?

angrypancake
05-09-2006, 09:25 AM
your supplies are as follows: one bottle Patron Silver tequila, one 20lb sledge hammer, 4 bricks, and a wheelman....

Torque
05-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Small claims court.

632 Regal
05-09-2006, 10:09 AM
dude that really sucks!
It's not their fault, turn it around like you owned the shop, it's just a really unfortunate incident. This should be covered under comprehensive since its nobodys fault. Talk to your insurance guy.

Gearhead
05-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Man, that really sucks. I've found that mine has the very same "squat" when I put it in gear. As to learn from your misfortune, what the hell causes that? Worn rear sub-frame bushings?

Anyone?

Alexlind123
05-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Your car is trying to move a bit when in drive, even with the brake on. With the rear brakes locked, some of the power gets transferred to the suspension. Because of the trailing arm suspension design, it causes the rear end to squat to some degree. Or something like that. Correct me if im wrong.

califblue
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM
fire bomb the place and shoot them as they are running out...oops:D did i just say that:p

angrypancake
05-09-2006, 01:21 PM
oh snap i forgot about this one. supplies are as follows:
(1) brown paper bag, small, lunch type.
(1) massive pile of ****
(1) lighter
(1) shovel
(2) people
(24) beers

use shovel to put **** in bag. let it hang out for the afternoon.
drink beer.
go to offending shop.
place bag on front steps.
use lighter, light bag on fire.
choose the more sober friend to ring doorbell.
laugh like 12 year olds when shop owner stomps on the bag to put it out.

Zeuk in Oz
05-09-2006, 01:39 PM
dude that really sucks!
It's not their fault, turn it around like you owned the shop, it's just a really unfortunate incident. This should be covered under comprehensive since its nobodys fault. Talk to your insurance guy.

Wouldn't it make you say "golly gosh" ! ;)

Technically this might be correct Jeff, however were I the owner of the shop I would think that repairing a relatively low cost E34 and getting rid of the offending curb was a sensible option and a lesson learnt.

The next car to do it might be a Ferrari owned by a famous litigation lawyer.

Did they shop's tech position the car ?

If so I think they might have some legal responsibility.

I would suggest trying to reason with them calmly.

Otherwise mount a campaign to black-list them and tell everyone you know and meet never to go there. :D

How about walking up and down in front of the shop for a day with a sandwhich board saying how disreputable they are ?

rob101
05-09-2006, 01:44 PM
oh snap i forgot about this one. supplies are as follows:
(1) brown paper bag, small, lunch type.
(1) massive pile of ****
(1) lighter
(1) shovel

use shovel to put **** in bag. place bag on front steps. use lighter, light bag on fire. laugh when shop owner stomps on the bag to put it out.
you forgot to list, door bell ringer/door knocker that is sobre enough to run without tripping over.

angrypancake
05-09-2006, 01:50 PM
^editted :) thanks rob

Kalevera
05-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Patron....that's good stuff.

What's the name of the shop and where are they?

Alexlind123
05-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Wouldn't it make you say "golly gosh" ! ;)

Technically this might be correct Jeff, however were I the owner of the shop I would think that repairing a relatively low cost E34 and getting rid of the offending curb was a sensible option and a lesson learnt.

The next car to do it might be a Ferrari owned by a famous litigation lawyer.

Did they shop's tech position the car ?

If so I think they might have some legal responsibility.

I would suggest trying to reason with them calmly.

Otherwise mount a campaign to black-list them and tell everyone you know and meet never to go there. :D

How about walking up and down in front of the shop for a day with a sandwhich board saying how disreputable they are ?

I think that the tech who parked it was at fault, but not due to intention or neglect. The tech could not have predicted what happened. As such, i think it would be logical for the shop to pay for the part, or meet him halfway with the repair. Its what i would do if i owned the shop.

Felixdacat
05-09-2006, 06:37 PM
You guys are great. I know its not a huge amount of body damage, but it's the principle. The tech did park the car, and he has been an ASE certified tech for about 12 years. Any tech knows that a rear wheel vehicle when put in drive will squat when brake is applied. I was a mechanic for about 6 years, and got tired of smelling and tasting grease. The name of the Co. is Edgewater tire and Goodyear. They are located in Edgewater maryland. Also one of the guys there owns a 98 740i. When he told the owner that it would cost almost a $1000 to replace cover, thats when he said no he will not cover it. The ****ed up thing about this is I used to work for the guy. I Left the Co. on good terms.

632 Regal
05-09-2006, 06:40 PM
he obviously doesnt respect you then. Maybe go there as suggested and talk with him "as old friends"

You guys are great. I know its not a huge amount of body damage, but it's the principle. The tech did park the car, and he has been an ASE certified tech for about 12 years. Any tech knows that a rear wheel vehicle when put in drive will squat when brake is applied. I was a mechanic for about 6 years, and got tired of smelling and tasting grease. The name of the Co. is Edgewater tire and Goodyear. They are located in Edgewater maryland. Also one of the guys there owns a 98 740i. When he told the owner that it would cost almost a $1000 to replace cover, thats when he said no he will not cover it. The ****ed up thing about this is I used to work for the guy. I Left the Co. on good terms.

Felixdacat
05-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I agree. I will see what he will do. Thanks again guys

Incantation
05-09-2006, 10:38 PM
+1

that fuken moron parked it wrong forget the squatting thing it's obvious they are at fault