PDA

View Full Version : squeaky pedal

GoldenOne
05-09-2006, 06:55 AM
well after 185+ miles my accelerator pedal seems to have develop a squeak when ever you depress it, my question to you guys is what type of lubricant is the safest, non messy, minimal smellyness to use?

good ol' wd-40, or a white lithium spray, etc....

onewhippedpuppy
05-09-2006, 07:08 AM
I use silicone for most stuff, the pure silicone spray seems to last longer.

632 Regal
05-09-2006, 07:11 AM
I used PB Blaster cause I like that smell.

joshua43214
05-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I like the high pressure spray lube that goes on like water and thickens up in a couple minutes. Its great for door locks, hinges, etc where you want good penitration but a heavy lube.

Just toss a rag on the floormat, spray the pivots and bushings, let it penitrate for a moment, and wipe off any exposed lube.

careful you don't break off the pedal if you start to take things appart.

GoldenOne
05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
thanks for the advice guys!

joshua - what exactly is this high pressure lube you talk about, brand, price range, and can I find it at any parts store?

joshua43214
05-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Wurth HHS2000 is the stuff I like, not available to non professionals, but someone may be ebaying it. http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/leftnavi/catalog/product.php?path=04.0110.jpg Stuff is the best all arround car lube I have ever used. A rep told me the "2000" meant that it could withstand 2000psi, but that may have been a sales trip. I just know it works well.

You can also get similar products from any place that sells shop suplies for industrial equipment, and some hardware stores will sell it. NAPA sells a fair amount of indusrtrial suplies and they should carry something similar as well.

Scott H
05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
as well as motorsports and foreign car part shops that carry any quality products like:

Pentosin
ATE Super Blue
Wurth anythingyounameitweprobablygotit

I have two cans on my shelf and use it for a LOT of crap on the car and at home. It worked wonders on my squeaky pedal. Take the black underpanel off and spray the rubber grommets that act as bushings for the pedal linkage. This is where I found my squeak. The rubber had dried up. I found the most squeaking to come when the area was warm from running the heater, etc.

Wurth HHS2000 is the stuff I like, not available to non professionals, but someone may be ebaying it.

dacoyote
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Turn up the radio

Craig Wright
05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
...they cary it and a wide variety of other Wurth products. I really like their glass cleaner.

http://www.carcareonline.com/

Craig Wright

laguner
05-10-2006, 04:23 PM
This thread is great. The gas pedal squeak has been annoying the crap outta me but it's just one of those things I never get around to. I'm inspired to get it done now. Thanks.

GoldenOne
05-10-2006, 08:39 PM
haha, no problem laguner, glad to know I wasnt the only one with this problem!

Chowchilla Skunkwerks
05-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Same problem but only once and awhile. Now that I've seen it in print..great reminder for a project on sat. Thanks
Rob

Speeder 553
05-11-2006, 12:59 AM
I have a squeaky pedal too. Going to try some 3 in 1 oil and see if that does it.

BillionPa
05-11-2006, 01:11 AM
3 in 1 oil is too watery

you need a molydbdenum disulfide in lithium grease.

thats the good stuff.

Alexlind123
05-11-2006, 01:58 AM
This thread is silly. Something squeaks so you oil it. Who didnt know this??

Scott H
05-11-2006, 08:21 AM
what to lubricate with and where may the squeak be coming from.

there are enough idiots around this joint that would probably lubricate the face of the pedal unless specifically told not to.

there is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb consequences when one fails to ask a question in the first place.

This thread is silly. Something squeaks so you oil it. Who didnt know this??

Gene in NC
05-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Wurth product is available directly from Wurth. Min Qty is 2, Maybe that indicates that you are a professional. Coop with a buddy or give one to a friend.

Mine saved me several hundred $ on e28. E28 has separate blower for A/C. It is buried down in the console and requires disassembly of part of the AC system.

At first indication of squealling I carefully directed a small amount of the spray onto the bushings on both ends of the blower. Problem solved. Warning, for blowers and other electric motors be careful not to over lube which can interfere with brush contact.

Seems reasonable that same process could increase life of e34 heater blower.

joshua43214
05-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Wurth HHS2000 is the stuff I like, not available to non professionals.

Well, it seems that it is available to anyone, so you have no excuse for not useing it =). They also make by far and away the best copper anti seize in the world. Cu1100 is the stuff