PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline smell at first starting

Al Gray
03-25-2004, 08:07 PM
I have requested help on this before and initially solved the problem by replacing the short fuel bar hoses and installing new hose clamps. However the problem has surfaced again!! The smell is strongest just after the car has been started but goes away after running for about 5 - 10 minutes. I know their are other hoses to check, a bad fuel pressure requlator could leak back throught the diaphragm and let raw gas into the manifold or the injector bodies could be bad and have cracks or the o-rings for the injectors could be bad. Based on the fact that this fuel smell dissipates after running for a bit, what do you think might be the problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Unregistered
03-26-2004, 08:57 AM
I have requested help on this before and initially solved the problem by replacing the short fuel bar hoses and installing new hose clamps. However the problem has surfaced again!! The smell is strongest just after the car has been started but goes away after running for about 5 - 10 minutes. I know their are other hoses to check, a bad fuel pressure requlator could leak back throught the diaphragm and let raw gas into the manifold or the injector bodies could be bad and have cracks or the o-rings for the injectors could be bad. Based on the fact that this fuel smell dissipates after running for a bit, what do you think might be the problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Had the same prb on one Rover and one Volvo, same prb one bouth, CHECK THE O-RINGS!!!

John S Busby
02-05-2006, 02:38 PM

Hi Al,

I have a 1992 525i/M50 on 102K miles with the same symptoms you experienced 2 years back, viz strong smell of fuel from a cold start that disappears once the engine is fully warmed up. I also have a lumpy tickover that may or may not be associated. Haven't checked fuels lines, injectors, fuel pressure, filter etc. yet. Did you ever pin down your problem?

Regards,

JB