PDA

View Full Version : Air con probs.....help please

Jake Casson
05-09-2006, 06:29 AM
My condenser is leaking green dye when car is running. I was recommended some stuff called air con leak stop, but someone else is saying this could cause more damage to the other componants??

The AC mobile tech bloke (business called Chilly Willies) is due out on thurs but think Ive got too cancel as away.

The system is still on R12 gas which im keeping that way. Couple of questions - My AC fan never runs on its on and I get loss of power and sometime stooling if parking etc. Its as if its taking too much power from the engine. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance

By the way im in england so system may be different....?

joshua43214
05-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Never, ever put a leak sealer in an AC system that uses an expansion valve or a capilary tube. If your condensor is leaking dye, you need a condensor.

Follow this link to learn every thing you never wanted to know about ac systems
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21506&highlight=factoid

If you auxiliary fan does not run, dont waste your money fixing the ac until its fixed, your r12 will just leak out 5 times faster and the ac wont cool anyway unless you are moving.

As for it stalling, search for ICV and stalling.

Jake Casson
05-09-2006, 07:24 AM
Interesting read, thank you. Few questions though:

I have a basic knowledge of my car and carry out most work on it. What do you think is up with the fan then, solanoid? Do you think I could do this as DIY? Is the fan meant to run all the time the AC is on?

So you really think I need to go for a new condenser, simple to fit? Maybe I could just patch it up with something that works really well on rads?

Its still blowing cold but leaking loads.

Cheers

joshua43214
05-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Only way to fix a condensor is to weld it. Even sweating a patch on tends to fail unless very expertly done, there is just too much pressure on the high side.

I believe than Aux fan on '92 is pressure controlled, so it will only come on when you have adequate pressure. Uness the system is almost empty, it will normaly still create enough high side pressure to operate the fan. Diagnosing and replacing the Aux fan is straight forward electrical stuff, not too comlicated as these things go. there should be a wiring diagram here somewhere, look for the climate and aux fan diagrams.
http://www.e38.org/e34/

The condensor itself is simple enough to replace, but you will need to remove the old r12 and then the system must be placed under a vacuum before it is recharged. So you will need your ac guy to come arround and do that at the very least. Make sure he knows you replaced the condensor and that it was leaking heavily so he can add the proper amount of oil, deciding how much oil to add after a leak repair takes experience.

bmwman1973
05-09-2006, 08:36 AM
My air temp sensor reads -37 degrees on the obc i found two plug sockets tied up , looked on the net for piccies of the sensors and they match the connections!!! so now i'm asking why would the external air temp sensor and the intake air temp sensor have been removed????...and would this be the reason for me getting no air through my vents even though the fan is on position4 and working and the compressor seems to be running????

Bill R.
05-09-2006, 08:56 AM
plugged up pollen filter or cabin filter, whichever term you prefer. The fan will sound like its blowing its little guts out but not much air will come out. The air temp sensor on the obc is unrelated to the climate control system.

My air temp sensor reads -37 degrees on the obc i found two plug sockets tied up , looked on the net for piccies of the sensors and they match the connections!!! so now i'm asking why would the external air temp sensor and the intake air temp sensor have been removed????...and would this be the reason for me getting no air through my vents even though the fan is on position4 and working and the compressor seems to be running????

Jake Casson
05-09-2006, 09:04 AM
My air temp sensor read that until I replaced the sensor in the bumper.

Where are the cabin filters on E34s?

SchnellE34
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Cabin filter replacement compliments of Don Gale:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_4.htm

bmwman1973
05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
plugged up pollen filter or cabin filter, whichever term you prefer. The fan will sound like its blowing its little guts out but not much air will come out. The air temp sensor on the obc is unrelated to the climate control system.
ok cool...can you tell me where i can find this cabin or pollen filter?...your help is much appreciated:D

SchnellE34
05-09-2006, 09:55 AM
do you have me blocked?

Jake Casson
05-09-2006, 10:16 AM
What do you mean?

SchnellE34
05-09-2006, 10:19 AM
he asked where the cabin filter was after I posted a link on where it was haha. I was just wondering if he read my post.

bmwman1973
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
not got you blocked...just get the email to say theres a new post

bmwman1973
05-09-2006, 11:15 AM
what about the air intake sensor...would that shut the vent off if the sensor had been removed cos it seems both temp sansors (external air for obc and air intake) have been removed

joshua43214
05-09-2006, 11:31 AM
what about the air intake sensor...would that shut the vent off if the sensor had been removed cos it seems both temp sansors (external air for obc and air intake) have been removed

Ahhh, the art of thead hi jacking. start a new thread about this and some folks will reply