PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to pull the cluster panel out?

Rob
05-09-2006, 03:33 AM
Howzit guys.

How hard or easy is it to pull the cluster panel out? my temp gauge doesn't light up everything else does. I've just replaced the OBC bulbs. It lights up again. The fan and temp controls don't light up, should they?

Thanks guys!

SRR2
05-09-2006, 03:38 AM
Try a search. It's been covered many times.

Rob
05-09-2006, 03:45 AM
Ya, sure.

Thanks, SRR2. Haven't seen you around. Nice to hear from you.

Rob.

Felixdacat
05-09-2006, 03:46 AM
Its pretty easy.. 2 screws at top at the top of the cluster, and you will need to remove steering wheel if you don't have tilt. To do this you will need to disconnect neg side of battery, Needing to know radio code if you have BMW radio, and there are 2 star bit screw on back side of wheel if you have have air bag. This will remove airbag. You will need to remove lower knee panel under the wheel so you can disconnect airbag connector. Use I believe a 22mm socket and remove wheel hold down nut. Turn the ignition to the 2 position, and wheel will come off with ease. Need some more info?

Bill R.
05-09-2006, 03:53 AM
an airbag equipped car. Its very easy. (http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/airBagAndBulbs_files/airBagAndBulbs.html)

Howzit guys.

How hard or easy is it to pull the cluster panel out? my temp gauge doesn't light up everything else does. I've just replaced the OBC bulbs. It lights up again. The fan and temp controls don't light up, should they?

Thanks guys!

Rob
05-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Wow, thanks guys. :)

No, the car doesn't have an air bag system. My steering wheel doesn't have tilt, however it can be pull outwards or push inwards, does that make a difference. Also are my fan and temp controls next to the OBC clock meant to light up as well or not?

Thanks guys, appericate this a lot!

Bill R.
05-09-2006, 04:11 AM
but since yours comes off so easy , it makes the job alot easier and your far less likely to scratch or damage the cluster trying to work it out from behind the wheel. Its still a very good idea to disconnect the battery first before removing the cluster. Less chance of damaging any sensitive electronic components.

No, the car doesn't have an air bag system. My steering wheel doesn't have tilt, however it can be pull outwards or push inwards, does that make a difference. Also are my fan and temp controls next to the OBC clock meant to light up as well or not?

Rob
05-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Thanks Bill, you're a great help! :) One more thing, is the bulb by the temp gauge easy to replace or is it a specialunit?

Thank you.

Bill R.
05-09-2006, 04:30 AM
here, each one of these 3 provides a third of the general lighting for the cluster when the headlights are on.http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/0988dashcluster1%20copy.jpg

Thanks Bill, you're a great help! :) One more thing, is the bulb by the temp gauge easy to replace or is it a specialunit?

Thank you.

Rob
05-09-2006, 04:38 AM
Right, I think it's the top, left, one that has blown.
Thank you Bill, will check it out this weekend.

Great help! :)

Ross
05-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Definately disconnect the battery!
I made the mistake of powering up the car with the cluster out trying to diagnose something once and when back together had an SRS indicator on that I couldn't reset without a trip to the dealer. The car was an E32 but I'm guessing the same consequences on an E34.

Bill R.
05-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Bruno's site and the page on changing the fan and temp control lights..

(http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/panel_lights.htm)

Rob
05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Once again, very helpfull there, Bill. Thanks a lot pal, appercaite it!