PDA

View Full Version : Powersteering Contamination

tasman
05-08-2006, 07:39 AM
I bought my vehicle a couple of weeks ago and it looks like someone put the incorrect fluid in the power steering. I read the basics on how to flush system and did search. I have two questions. 1) does anybody have any thoughts if Auto-Rx would be of bennefit to clean out system and 2) has anyone tried taking off return hose off of resevoir and flushed system that way?
Thanks for any positive input in advanced:D .
TasMan

joshua43214
05-08-2006, 08:05 AM
I used to flush PS systems by removing the return hose and then pouring parts washer solvent into it while the engine is running. Then the EPA took away my parts washer.

It is best to flush the system with either the correct fluid or a solvent that is safe for the system. If you are lucky to use ATF, just unhook the return hose, have an assistant fire up the engine and pour in several quarts of ATF. be careful, it comes out hard and makes a mess. Stick the end of the return hose inside of a big piece of heater hose and route it to a big pan on the floor.

If you use the mineral oil stuff, I don't have anything responsible to recomend aside from running $20.00 a quart oil through. It is safe to run the system dry for a brief moment. So you can remove the return hose and have someone start the car and shut it off instantly when you scream at them to shut the car off when it runs dry.

If the wrong fluid was used, most of the damage is already done. the best you can hope for is to get the bulk of the contaminates out and hope for the best.

If your system uses the mineral oil, don't put any kind of additive or conditioner in that does not clearly state its safe for it.

632 Regal
05-08-2006, 08:30 AM
flush it like the Bently says, when I did mine i turned the wheel with the engine runing all the way left and right to get as much as I could out. A couple flushes and it should be clean again

tasman
05-08-2006, 09:10 AM
flush it like the Bently says, when I did mine i turned the wheel with the engine runing all the way left and right to get as much as I could out. A couple flushes and it should be clean again

Did you have any problems with leaks?? If I remember right, it says to take the line off at the pump?? If so, do I need new washers?

Thanks
TasMan