PDA

View Full Version : the oil smell like gasoline

amerjubran
05-08-2006, 05:19 AM
Hi,

Own: BMW '93 520i Auto

The oil is mixed with gasoline on the dipstick! (Gasoline in the oil)
any help?

shogun
05-08-2006, 05:29 AM
Do you only drive short distances so that the engine hardly gets warm to operating temperature?
Maybe you drive a longer distances so that the engine get's really to operating temperature and then check it again.
I assume that it is gone then.

joshua43214
05-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Any starting or running problems? smoke on start up? Check engine light come on?

3 most common causes are leaky injectors, faulty O2 sensor, faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Search foum for "stomp test" and check the codes. this needs to be diagnosed asap and the oil changed, gas is very bad for bearings.

post with further details please.

azale
05-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Do you only drive short distances so that the engine hardly gets warm to operating temperature?
Maybe you drive a longer distances so that the engine get's really to operating temperature and then check it again.
I assume that it is gone then.
This is true for just about all engines I believe. When starting, a little gas will slip by the rings and into the crankcase. Once the engine oil gets up to temperature, the gasoline will evaporate.

Are there other problems you are not telling us about? Cylinder misfire, etc.

amerjubran
05-08-2006, 06:35 AM
there is no running problems nor smoke on start up
but I can here sound (tick tick) from air regulator even after turning the switch off
and high gas consumption

ThoreauHD
05-08-2006, 07:37 AM
You need a leakdown test.

BillionPa
05-08-2006, 07:59 AM
the tick tick thing is the air ventilation control flaps and indicates a failing AC control unit.

.. you need a leakdown test.

joshua43214
05-08-2006, 08:17 AM
I would start with diagnosing the poor economy. It could be something as simple as the plugs are totaly worn out.

Start with the basics. check the tune up even if you put plugs in recently, escpecialy if you used bosch platinums.

Check the codes, it may have a O2 sensor code. If it is running rich and you have no code, the sensor is probably bad. If it has a code, it may be bad plugs, bad regulator, bad sensor, or other less common problem.

Somehow the gas is getting into the oil past the rings, either you have bad rings(not common) or you have too much fuel or poor combustion(common).

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 09:30 AM
i bet the pcv valve is bad.

Bill R.
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
i bet the pcv valve is bad.

Bill R.
05-08-2006, 09:44 AM
its a failing control unit. AND you don't need a leakdown test at this point.

Check the basics as Joshua stated, check plugs , state of tuneup, air filter, tps, mass air flow sensor, O2 sensor, and check for leaking injectors which is the most likely thing if you actually do have a problem. Short duration trips and lotsa cold starts will cause it as well and are far more likely to be the cause. Do an oil change and then check it in a couple of days, monitor the oil level in the crankcase carefully and see if its actually rising some over a period of weeks to try and determine if your actually getting enough gas in there to dilute the oil or if you just have a sensitive nose. All dipsticks will smell like gasoline to a small degree.

the tick tick thing is the air ventilation control flaps and indicates a failing AC control unit.

.. you need a leakdown test.

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 11:00 AM
what does bmw use to crank case ventilation?

shogun
05-08-2006, 04:10 PM
I depends on the engine type.
If you would have completed your profile, I could have told you what your car has.
But as you did not, I can only refer to this

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20424&highlight=answer+shogun

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I have a 1990 525i m20 and i am making it into a 535i turbo with the m30

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 04:22 PM
ok I updated

shogun
05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
From the profile I still cannot see if it is M20 or M50 engine.
You see, how important even the production month is? Because in that year there was a change. Just play a bit with production months in 1990
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?vin=&kind=P&series=E34&body=Lim&model=525i&zone=USA&prod=19900800&arch=0
and you can see the differences.
BTW: the exact production month you can find on my website under VIN decoder, and there is also the complete engine type and other things to be seen which might be of interest to you.
From realoem you can see what kind of crankcase ventilation your car has. My 750 has CPV, but an M60 or an M62 engine for example has a diaphragm instead of a CPV.