PDA

View Full Version : Valve Problem?

Vic_316i
05-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Hi!
Im having problem with a knocking noise of my engine i have a 316i E36 97 model, I add some engine oil, but the same problem, From cold start, engine runs smoother, but when after an hour running, you can hear knocking sound @ 850prm, @1500rpm the knoking sounds little bit reduced, it's a ticking sound.

I opend cylinder head to check valve clearance, but i don't know the spec of my engine, also I attached some pictures, also where can I adjust the valve clearance?

joshua43214
05-09-2006, 05:10 AM
I very strongly suggest you buy a bentleys manual before you do any more repairs.

Engines make many different noises, some are normal some are not. You need to gather information as to when the noise occors and changes. Does it get louder or softer when hot or cold. change under load? change when you rev and no load? change on decel? comes from top or bottom?

is it a tick or or a knock? is the tick tinny or clicky? is the knock deep or hollow?

If you have doubts about a noise, run it by an experienced tech and have him listen to it and advise you.

If you look closely at the left hand picture you posted you will see a spring. To the right of the spring is a round "tower" that is under the rocker. The smaller round thing on the top of the tower under the rocker is a hydrolic lifter. You do not have adjustable valves.