PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problem

owneynapp
05-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I just had the tranny replace in a 92 525i, as I drive the car, it develops a problem shifting into third gear, then seems to get stuck, at this point the transmission program pops up on the dash. Can anyone tell me what the problem could possibly be, the guy who replaced the tranny doesn't seem to have a clue

joshua43214
05-07-2006, 05:35 PM
you got a bad used part. you got a bad new part. you got a bad reman part. you paid for a bad install. you got a free bad install. you didnt need a trans in the first place.

you may want to include a few minor details and a description a bit more detailed than "it has a problem" so we can help.

Good idea to update you info so we have a clue as to what part of the planet you are on too.

BillionPa
05-07-2006, 07:53 PM
if its only 3rd (out of 4?) i would think its a planetary gear clutch, you would need to rip the tranny apart and look at all the pieces, then if one piece of a "set" is fried, replace the entire set.

zygoteer
05-08-2006, 09:41 AM
develops a problem shifting into third gear, then seems to get stuck ............ the guy who replaced the tranny doesn't seem to have a clue.

you got a bad used part. you got a bad new part. you got a bad reman part. you paid for a bad install. you got a free bad install. you "PROBABLY ?" didnt need a trans in the first place ...

hmmm ... sorry that this doesn't help, but the above seems to fit !

Didn't I read somewhere that 3rd is the default 'safe' gear in the event of a hydraulic valving problem ?