PDA

View Full Version : Megasquirt install is almost done.

bjl4776
05-07-2006, 01:38 PM
So its been over a month since i was last able to get home to work on my 325is between work, school, and autox. I finally was able to get a free day to drive home to work on my car and my project is nearing completion. I finished up the wiring harness and have tried to hide it as much as possible and try to make it look like a clean install. The two pictures of a brass fiting are my IAT and CLT. My CLT is placed the same place as JonK since I did an EFE delete I just put T in the bypass line. As for the IAT i also deleted my PCV and just put the IAT in place of were the PCV hose ran into the TB boot. Both of these systems are emissions related, and im not concerned bout those sa away they went. I also installed the wideband 02 and calibrated it. As Jonk said there is slots around the shifter that you can punch out to run wires from under the car to the cabin. The relay box is all wired and ready to go. All I have to do from here is wait for my MS to get back from being fixed, and hook it up and see how it goes. Hopefully well.

bjl4776
05-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Wideband

bjl4776
05-07-2006, 02:31 PM
This is were all of the wires come together.

Jon K
05-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Good to see you making progress brandyn -

Your motor is doing good - all stripped everything looks great gonna start cleaning it up and rebuilding once finals end, this next week.

As for my megasquirt - I ordered 5 VB921's and an additional heatsink and have an excellent idea of how i am going to do 6 COP wasted spark. Is that what you decided to go with? I was thinking about running 6 COP sequential spark w/ 2nd trigger cam input, but once I delete the motronic I am probably going to strip the cam sensor out just to ease wiring. Additionally, i know you did the PCM idle control valve circuit but I am thinking about just using a throttle plate adjustment with ICV delete - I am blowing that hose out (since I epoxied the connector in) with around 7 psi of boost :( keep me updated.

I am currently building another MegaSquirt ECU V3 for jjdickm. I will happily entertain other requests for these awesome ECUs if anyone is interested - good work brandyn.

s_ribbens
05-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Nice work! It looks like I may be doing this to the E34 after I add one on my M3. Keep us updated on how it's working out.

joshua43214
05-07-2006, 05:21 PM
just out of curiosity, since you are deleting the pcv, how do plan to deal with crankcase ventilation?

bjl4776
05-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Yea, im doing the 6 VB921s with two on each of three spark outputs. I messed something up when i was trying to modify the board so I have to send it out to Peter. Im going to try to use the ICV, but if I cant get it working im just going to do what your doing. The only thing that isnt wired now is the Vanos, but im not going to worry about it till I get the car running. Im gonna need your setup your running for wheel decoder. But im happy with the progress i made this weekend, and with how the harness looks in the engine compartment. It almost looks cleaner than the stock harness did.

bjl4776
05-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Crankcase ventilation is not a serious issue. All the PCV is designed to do is to capture unburned HC that blew by the rings during combustion. Well since this things is going to be nowhere nere street legal as far as the state is going to know, im not gonna worry bout it. Ill probably put a filter inplace of the PCV line and vent it to atmosphere. If you've ever seen a car from the 60s or earlier you'll notice thats what they do, but the filter is mainly used to keep oil off of your pretty engine.

Jon K
05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Crankcase ventilation is not a serious issue. All the PCV is designed to do is to capture unburned HC that blew by the rings during combustion. Well since this things is going to be nowhere nere street legal as far as the state is going to know, im not gonna worry bout it. Ill probably put a filter inplace of the PCV line and vent it to atmosphere. If you've ever seen a car from the 60s or earlier you'll notice thats what they do, but the filter is mainly used to keep oil off of your pretty engine.

Thats what I have done - K&N breather valve on the crank case top. The filter is actually just to filter air that might get drawn in, otherwise you can just leave it open.

I am still not sure my 60-2 settings are perfect. I will be finding out soon :)

I have a good idea for my mounting of hte 6 VB921s - youre doing it the same way I am, 6 COP WS :) So, we'll have identical setups so hopefully between the two of us we can iron out issues. Are you running the 029q firmware? I am, its really nice. I can't wait to set up launch control and nitrous... did I say that out loud?

Rustam
05-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I finally was able to get a free day to drive home to work on my car and my project is nearing completion.

What made you decide to use MS in your car?
How is it beneficial?

Rustam
05-07-2006, 09:17 PM

I rerouted pcv hose into airfilter box just above the filter.
Vacuum problems solved...

Jon K
05-08-2006, 05:32 AM
I rerouted pcv hose into airfilter box just above the filter.
Vacuum problems solved...

Why would you do that - with it routed to the intake hose its under vacuum, with it routed to the airbox you are now spraying your paper air filter with oil vapor.

bjl4776
05-08-2006, 05:37 AM
I decided to use you MS for several reasons. One reason is I needed to get my project car running and I didnt feel like spendinng a bunch of money on a stock harness and DME. Second is MS is extremely cost effective. The whole system costs thousands less than any other standalone system you can do. And now that im running standalone I can do whatever engine mods I want and be able to tune the fuel injection and ignition accordingly.

Jon K
05-08-2006, 05:44 AM
I decided to use you MS for several reasons. One reason is I needed to get my project car running and I didnt feel like spendinng a bunch of money on a stock harness and DME. Second is MS is extremely cost effective. The whole system costs thousands less than any other standalone system you can do. And now that im running standalone I can do whatever engine mods I want and be able to tune the fuel injection and ignition accordingly.

Not to mention features like custom rev limit, launch control, traction control, water injection, nitrous, shift lights, etc etc etc etc etc... $for under $500

azale
05-08-2006, 05:56 AM
Why would you do that - with it routed to the intake hose its under vacuum, with it routed to the airbox you are now spraying your paper air filter with oil vapor.
I'm going to have to agree with Jon K here. The only thing worse than spraying oil vapor all over your filter in my mind is placing that vacuum hose between the filter and the intake like on my '03 Discovery. The experts on Discoweb.org say this is normal:
http://www.andyzale.com/album/albums/userpics/10002/normal_landrover%20021.jpg
Needless to say, I'm not impressed with that little engineering marvel.

Ill probably put a filter inplace of the PCV line and vent it to atmosphere. If you've ever seen a car from the 60s or earlier you'll notice thats what they do, but the filter is mainly used to keep oil off of your pretty engine.
Just last night I was checking out my buddy’s new car. He put together an A/C Cobra Kit with a Ford 351 bored to 390. He had a little filter about the size of a tuna can stuck on his engine. It wasn’t even screwed in, just plugged into the hole. Seems easier and safer for your engine than sucking in oil vapor.

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 06:08 AM
I can't wait until I get my megasquirt to get this beast running!!! I am getting closer and closer to completion I am startting to do all the building now that I've bought most of the parts.

DueyT
05-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Azale, that's nothing...PCV is worse when mixed with diesel EGR!

before cleaning (1.9L VW TDI)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/EGRbefor.JPG

after cleaning:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/EGRafter.JPG

FWIW, I would hook PCV AFTER the filter element but as far ahead of hot surfaces (like intake manifold) as possible.

Cheers,
Duey

Jon K
05-08-2006, 11:00 AM
I can't wait until I get my megasquirt to get this beast running!!! I am getting closer and closer to completion I am startting to do all the building now that I've bought most of the parts.

Jonathon - I have contacted my wholesaler in regards to a GT42R... let me know what compressor wheel ARs you want, I will get you the best price possible.

Ok details : V-band exhaust side, 1.15A/R, T4 flange, compressor is .80 A/R wheel is like 82mm, very big turbo, dual ball bearing a 3.5L will have no issue spooling it. Good for about 850 - 950 hp. Let me know, PM me we'll talk details.

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Jonathon - I have contacted my wholesaler in regards to a GT42R... let me know what compressor wheel ARs you want, I will get you the best price possible.
im not really sure on exactly what I want but what would you recomend?

Jon K
05-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Jonathon - check my post above i editted. That's the one I recommend for you.

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 11:08 AM

Ok details : V-band exhaust side, 1.15A/R, T4 flange, compressor is .80 A/R wheel is like 82mm, very big turbo, dual ball bearing a 3.5L will have no issue spooling it. Good for about 850 - 950 hp. Let me know, PM me we'll talk details.
if you could check the price I would apeciate it. im sorry I can't be more specific im new to the turbo world.

Jon K
05-08-2006, 11:18 AM
if you could check the price I would apeciate it. im sorry I can't be more specific im new to the turbo world.

I have a price but I'd rather give it via email or PM

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
I have a price but I'd rather give it via email or PM
im on aim right now or you can email me at bimmerboye34@hotmail.com

jjdickm
05-08-2006, 08:53 PM
jon what was the name of that headgasket? also a good place for head studs

Jon K
05-08-2006, 09:09 PM
http://vacmotorsports.com/

azale
05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Azale, that's nothing...PCV is worse when mixed with diesel EGR!

before cleaning (1.9L VW TDI)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/EGRbefor.JPG

after cleaning:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/EGRafter.JPG

Ugly. Who is designing these engines?

jjdickm, Good luck with the turbo.

Jon K, what kind of power are you really putting down to the tires, and how long will than engine last under the strain?

Jon K
05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Azale:

Haven't dyno'd yet as the car is constantly under the knife. I should know probably by the end of summer.

Rustam
05-15-2006, 03:41 AM

Is injection timing software provided by the makers of MS of you have to program the computer yourself?
How are you planning to do that if so?

genphreak
05-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Is injection timing software provided by the makers of MS of you have to program the computer yourself? How are you planning to do that if so?www.megasquirt.org, check it out for yourself. IP is freely distributed including the software as a community project. All those that like or use it should donate to the community, imagine how happy they would be if the good people over at bimmer.info were to give them such a compliment and encourgement to keep working on it. I will send them $50 once I get mine.

Jon K
05-15-2006, 09:22 AM
www.megasquirt.org, check it out for yourself. IP is freely distributed including the software as a community project. All those that like or use it should donate to the community, imagine how happy they would be if the good people over at bimmer.info were to give them such a compliment and encourgement to keep working on it. I will send them $50 once I get mine.

Its open source - constant development, more important than the software to tune it is the firmware that runs it. MSnS-E is constantly developed - i watched it go from 025 to 029 in version number in about 2 months with MANY improvements.

Rustam
05-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Jon K am I right at guessing that you have replied to my statement above? Well if that is so - I've put you on ignore list, along with rob101 - you can save time and effort of typing to me...

Jon K
05-15-2006, 11:39 AM
LOL - how would you know whether or not I replied if I am on your ignore list - wow wow idiot poophead asswipe. (I'm being ignored so you can't see this).