PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions...leather...locks...bleeding

bullitt
05-07-2006, 11:50 AM
OK, I have owned a '90 535iM for a month now - loving it.
I have some questions:

1) It is red on black. The black leather has some scratches that have turned gray over time. Rubbing with leather conditioner obviously does not cover the scratches with black. Is there some sort of black leather dye that anyone has used to remove scratches?

2) There are currently only 2 electrical problems with the car:

--One is that the passenger fog light does not work. I have tested the bulb - it is ok. I tested the bulb connector, and it is not receiving power. I'll probably have to follow the wire to find a short. Fuses are OK.
--The other problem is the passenger door lock. From outside the car, I can use the passenger door to lock all doors, but it will not unlock any doors. What would that be?
And what if this happened to the drivers side, how would i get into the car?

3) I recently changed all cooling hoses (7 or so). All coolant was drained. I have read about all of the bleeding that must occur. I have been bleeding every couple days for a couple weeks now, and air still comes out. Will it ever stop? If it doesn't stop, does that mean that air is somehow getting into the system? When the temp guage goes above half way, i bleed and it goes back down to a hair below half way. A couple days later, it is above half way and I bleed again...

Thanks for the comments.

Alexlind123
05-07-2006, 01:59 PM
The wires on the plug going into your foglight might not be making a connection properly. I had the same problem and wiggled the plug and they have worked ever since.

Bruce Kennett
05-07-2006, 02:09 PM
The black leather has some scratches that have turned gray over time. Rubbing with leather conditioner obviously does not cover the scratches with black. Is there some sort of black leather dye that anyone has used to remove scratches?

http://www.leatherique.com

fairly effective but don't expect miracles.

bruce

Javier
05-07-2006, 03:02 PM
2.Fogs: Search the forum under LKM. You'll find tons of info regarding LKM soldering issues that include Fog not getting power.

2.Locks: I guess you have a dirty door lock switch (the one operated by the key). If you can not unlock nor double lock from passenger's side, it also may be the Blue/Red wire going from that door switch to the General module (or a connector in between).

I'd try to check that the Blue/Red wire coming from that door switch is getting 12 Vdc when measured to ground, when the key is operated to Unlock. You can also check for this voltage directly at X255 pin 16 at General Module.

Look at this thread (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10519)for connector pin identification.

Javier

onewhippedpuppy
05-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Leatherique is awesome stuff. Try the cleaner and conditioner first, it really brought back the color on my discolored 951 seats. If that doesn't work, I've read really good things about their dye products on Porsche forums.

632 Regal
05-07-2006, 07:01 PM
3) there can be residual air in the system. If you have a tiny heatercore leak it can suck air into the system while cooling down and cause the exact symptom your experiencing.

mamilapon
05-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Mate, a fly's ball bag's hair above half way is quite normal.

fujioko
05-08-2006, 04:07 AM
Sounds like an S&M question. LOL