PDA

View Full Version : Generic vs. Model specific koni sport?

saluki540i
05-07-2006, 10:08 AM
All you folks running koni sports on their 540i's - Did your fronts have the correct swaybar link bracket attached, as do the OEM's? Did they have to be modified. The part #'s I received show to be correct according to the Koni website, but are a standard (generic) case with not way of locating the links. Any help would be great because as soon as the crossmembers come back from the powder coater, the car needs to be re-assembled pronto. Car was built Sept. 25th of 1995, and is a 6 spd.
Thanks everyone-
Christophe

632 Regal
05-07-2006, 12:21 PM
what are you talking about? The strut housing, shock insert or what?

All you folks running koni sports on their 540i's - Did your fronts have the correct swaybar link bracket attached, as do the OEM's? Did they have to be modified. The part #'s I received show to be correct according to the Koni website, but are a standard (generic) case with not way of locating the links. Any help would be great because as soon as the crossmembers come back from the powder coater, the car needs to be re-assembled pronto. Car was built Sept. 25th of 1995, and is a 6 spd.
Thanks everyone-
Christophe

saluki540i
05-07-2006, 01:03 PM
on the original strut, there is a bracket which the sway bar link attaches to. The other end attaches to the sway bar blade. The koni fronts that were sent to me have no such bracket.

joshua43214
05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
take the spring off of the spring off of the strut. place the strut in a vice. Using a large wrench or pipe wrench, turn the great big nut that the shiny piston part comes out of. remove the nut. pull the shock out. pour in 1/2 cup of antifreeze. place new shock in strut body and pump it several times up and down to remove excess antifreeze. aply anti seize to the threads on strut, install and tighten big nut. replace spring.

Voila, now you have a strut with all the atachments.

632 Regal
05-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I dont think this is whats happening, altho still lost.

Can you add links to what you have now or pictures or something? Im thinking you might be talking about the strut housing being new and not having the link bracket welded on....but only guessing. You should be able to instal the strut (shock) as joshua mentions in the old strut (shock) housing. But again im just guessing.

take the spring off of the spring off of the strut. place the strut in a vice. Using a large wrench or pipe wrench, turn the great big nut that the shiny piston part comes out of. remove the nut. pull the shock out. pour in 1/2 cup of antifreeze. place new shock in strut body and pump it several times up and down to remove excess antifreeze. aply anti seize to the threads on strut, install and tighten big nut. replace spring.

Voila, now you have a strut with all the atachments.

632 Regal
05-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Okay, i did your work for you, I think you got the sport kit whick includes shocks springs and the strut housing. If there isnt a spot for the sway bar link you should call them ASAP so you can get the project going. You can use the stock housing if the distance from the spring perches are the same, but only need the springs and shocks.

They failed to provide a sway bar link bracket rendering the swaybar useless.

I hope I know what your talking about... sounds like a sucky situation to me.