PDA

View Full Version : How should I re-glue the door vinyl/panel?

Picatavi
05-06-2006, 10:23 AM
The vinyl on top of the arm-rest has pulled away from the backing on all four doors so it no longer lays flat on the arm-rest. This has caused the section of the door panel above the arm-rest to pop off (on all four doors). What's the best way to fix this?

I'm thinking of cutting a slit in the vinyl behind the panel so I can get some glue onto the armrest and door, then somehow holding the vinyl in place until the glue sets. After that dries I would glue the panel back on which would cover the slit. Has anyone had this probelm? -Rich

Gayle
05-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Here is a link to an M5 site that suggests one way to approach this problem.

http://bmwe34m5.com/faqs/?theme=1&level=4&question_id_select=138&chapitre_id_select=21&document_id_select=3

2fast
05-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Yip it's a common problem,I had a go with all diffirent sorts of glue and in the end all I made was a mess:D

The rear door panells were easy.

But the drivers door is all warped and have given up on that one,have a go and let us know how you get on.
Cheers

ElNormo
05-06-2006, 12:30 PM
What's the best way to fix this?

I tried a few types of glue, then found (from a tip on this board) that Gorilla Glue works well. It's available at Home Depot/Lowes/etc. Sure enough, it sticks beautifully.

Make sure that when you apply the glue, smear it around so that there are no "clumps" when it dries. If I run my finger along the vinyl, I can feel a few places where the glue dried to form a solid mass.

I applied the glue, then stacked and leaned some heavy books against the trim to hold it overnight. If you press too hard, the glue can ooze through the vinyl and out the perforations.

But it's been 6-8 months and the trim is still firmly attached to the door.

Good luck,

Norman

ElNormo
05-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh wait... I'm talking about the perforated trim that is adhered to the door panel. That may not be what you're talking about, sorry! :)

Dave M
05-06-2006, 03:15 PM
This is how I solved it on my rear panels. I hope you've got those winter wheels off by now ;)

door panel fixit (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9301&highlight=door+panel+fix)

KenB
05-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, worked pretty good without removing panel. Got it at Pepboys for $3.

wingman
05-06-2006, 10:13 PM
I am going to try Dave M's cut and staple method for a longer lasting fix to this single most annoying thing about my car. Getting the staple through the fibre board will be tough though.

onewhippedpuppy
05-07-2006, 02:47 AM
For any sort of fabric/leather etc, try 3M spray contact adhesive. Obviously to spray it has to be out of the car, but it's fast, easy, and sticks very well. Just make sure you spray both sides, let it set up, then put it together correctly the first time (trust me). It's the same stuff used for gluing down Formica countertops, so it lays very nice and flat. I've had great luck with it on a variety of stuff, just make sure the surface is clean first.