PDA

View Full Version : What is this hole for?

clhorton
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
This is an image of a 4hp22 I am putting in my e34 and I saw this empty hole. Is something supposed to be here?

http://geocities.com/chorton39553/Image016.jpg

Traian
05-06-2006, 11:06 AM
I read the topic and was going to make a wise remark, but then decided not to.

632 Regal
05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
mine wouldnt fit.

Don
05-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Too small huh

tnt525i
05-06-2006, 11:30 AM
lmao

clhorton
05-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Dammit cmon somebody tell me what it's for beside dealing with sexual frustration. :D

Paul in NZ
05-06-2006, 12:55 PM
all i can suggest is you look at the transmission that comes out of your car?

632 Regal
05-06-2006, 01:54 PM
dont look like anything could bolt to it. is it threaded?

632 Regal
05-06-2006, 01:55 PM
quite the opposite.
Too small huh

clhorton
05-06-2006, 01:56 PM
The one that came out has a plastic tube in it that seems to goto nothing. Kinda confusing. Not threaded or anything.

angrypancake
05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Too small huh

thats what she said.

Kalevera
05-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Corey, it's a vent on the earlier transmissions -- I don't recall there being a vent installed on that trans when it was new and can't find reference to the existence of it on later 4hp22s.

best, whit

Rustam
05-06-2006, 04:31 PM

very wise of you to not have made it...

Rustam
05-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi Corey, it's a vent on the earlier transmissions -- I don't recall there being a vent installed on that trans when it was new and can't find reference to the existence of it on later 4hp22s.

best, whit

Now I wanted to mention same thing.
Additionally, I came across a comment once that "One should not rev the engine in 'park' or 'neutral' as it may damage the transmission. Later 4hp22 had a vent hole that precluded the damaging effect"

Now regarding 4hp22 - I looked at mine a few days ago and found it saying "4hp22" missing the expected "eh" at the end. What does that mean? The connector is still there. Did ZF simply change the designation finding "EH" superficial?

Kalevera
05-06-2006, 05:07 PM
The pictured subject is a different vent hole than the one drilled in the A clutch basket to bleed off fluid pressure -- still not a good idea to rev the car in park or neutral, regardless of that retrofit.

All 4hp22s have a ZF sticker on the side of the unit identifying it as such. EH is superfluous in and of itself. The physical difference between the hydraulic and electrically controlled hydraulic versions is the existence of the 8 or 7 pin barrel connector on the LHS of the unit or kick down select, accordingly. There's no other indication in print on them to my knowledge, aside from a different part number. The EH transmissions have been around since '82 or '83 in four different BMW specific variations in myriad cars, so determining what you're looking at can get confusing.

best, whit

Rustam
05-06-2006, 05:47 PM
The pictured subject is a different vent hole than the one drilled in the A clutch basket to bleed off fluid pressure -- still not a good idea to rev the car in park or neutral, regardless of that retrofit.

All 4hp22s have a ZF sticker on the side of the unit identifying it as such. EH is superfluous in and of itself. The physical difference between the hydraulic and electrically controlled hydraulic versions is the existence of the 8 or 7 pin barrel connector on the LHS of the unit or kick down select, accordingly. There's no other indication in print on them to my knowledge, aside from a different part number. The EH transmissions have been around since '82 or '83 in four different BMW specific variations in myriad cars, so determining what you're looking at can get confusing.

best, whit

Thank you, Whit. The transmission that I looked at was claimed to be brand new by a company that I sent my transmission for a rebuilt last year. They sent the brand new transmission becasue the old one they "could not rebuild even if they wanted to"...
I realized that the shape of the top of the transmission was a bit different at the point of the connection of top cooling line. I guess it is the same 4hp22eh but naturally evolved over the years to feature slight superficial differences.