Gonna be like another mortgage. :(

misfortune
05-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Gonna be like another mortgage. :(
I know right. Maybe I'll just do the bushings and brakes and sachs kit

RobPatt
05-05-2006, 08:29 PM
...safety then performance....

yeah, lots of days when i've got a million things on my plate and then some screwy window won't go down I'm like "F" this I'm getting another car I don't have time for this B.S..... then a few days go by being angry at the car... things settle a bit and I'm like, ok for one afternoon I can fix that window, or I can spend thousands of dollars for a new car that won't drive as nice but all the little nit-noy (Noi's the name of an old Thai girlfirend....) pain-in-the-rears if I fix myself I can save literally thousands....

so then a week or so goes by, I get the car on the twisties, fall in love again... and only wish she had more cajones... then I think OK I'm on the market for the M-3 engine/tranny for like $5K or something and make 'er into a 533i or something... supercharged....

moral - unless u have a total POS stick w/it....

ThoreauHD
05-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I expected to have to replace a good bit when I bought the car. I would expect it of any car. Now I can honestly say that my car runs perfectly. It's taken 3 months of hitting the shops but it's done.

Only thing left are superficial items like a brand new $3500.00 paint job or replacing the seats($1200.00) because they're old. Luxury stuff I can deal with later, and don't really care about yet. Among the luxury stuff are the wheels and skirts and HID's and whatever else that doesn't make the car work better or go faster.

If they sold a bulletproof kevlar lining or paint that keeps the car cool, that may be useful, but cosmetically I don't care. I like that it just works and that the style is what I would call a perfect classic. Women like that it's a BMW. That's all I wanted when I bought this thing. The women I meet won't give me crap for driving an econo point A to point B car. And I get to go from point A to point B. Symmetry.

I actually wanted to get a Mercedes instead, but the style wasn't as attractive as this particular one and neither was the fact that they've made them in Mexico for awhile now. Mercedes seemed to be for the more mature and older crowd. Since I hang out with mostly older(45-55) people, I was looking hard at it. But then the folks I talked to reported mistakes/problems that only an amateur car company would make. I think their(Mercedes) quality has gone to hell, in a nutshell. It is no longer German but shareholder only driven. So they use Mexican slaves to lower labor costs.

BMW seems to be for the younger crowd, but the quality has remained German. As I'm German by origin, I prefer it because I know it will work and that it will last. If you visit a household in Germany and then in Mexico, you will have an idea of what I mean. You can eat off the floor in any home in Germany.

As it is now, amazing as it sounds, everything works perfectly and if it ain't broke- I won't mess with it. Maybe we need to start a thread of people who aren't having any problems. Best to learn from success if you ask me. OK, my rant is done.

Traian
05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
In Mexico, you can't eat a damn thing no matter where it is.

You lost me right there. I should take you to some good eats in Mexico.

ThoreauHD
05-05-2006, 09:54 PM
You're right. Let me restate. I'll just let everyone's experience fill in the blank.

misfortune
05-17-2006, 01:33 PM
lol rape. I got everything done, F%&$& nearly 2000. I'll post the list later on, but yeah.

Jzza4
05-17-2006, 02:22 PM
I know how you feel.

I purchased a '95 525i from a family friend over a month ago. Car was fine (except for MAF acceleration problem and needing a valve cover gasket), bought it for $3000. After the Sachs kit, EAT chip, new brakes, slotted rotors, steering components, wheel bearings, aftermarket stereo and rims, euro clear lenses, euro bumper trim, and installation fees, the total cost of the car was $10,000.

Once the items were installed, I felt better putting the money into a car I would want to keep for as long as possible instead of the same money towards a lease or something else.

Yes, it does feel like a NEW car.

Rustam
05-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Now Im out of money :( :( Just realized I'm going out of town soon

Anyhow the laundry list of stuff to get while I'm down there is:

Brakes
Rotors
Bushings (750il?)
Dogbones (aka pitman arms right?)
Upper/Lower control arms
Wheels for my e38 basketweaves

Its gonna be like another car!

Save your money and wait for something to break... Becasue something will break...