PDA

View Full Version : OT: Does anyone know about (small) lawn-mowers?

genphreak
05-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Need to get one for my mum- she's 70, and I need one that she can use- (she's too fiercely independent to let anyone mow the place for her) so it mustn't be too heavy and cumbersome.

I want to get her a 4-stroke (are there any bimmer drivers that'd buy a 2-stroke??) and ideally it should be cheap... was going to get something second hand and overhaul it- new is way too pricey and she really needs something that is self-propelled (but as small as possible, most of these are large and heavy).

If I get an 'oldie but a goodie' i want something that I can repair properly.

Any suggestions on a good unit? Her lawn is large but well-kept and flat. I am more concerned that maneuvering it around corners and flower beds, etc. will be hard for her.

Cheers, Nick

SRR2
05-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I like two-stroke lawn mowers. You can't buy them here any more because of pollution restrictions, unfortunately. They're nice because they're considerably lighter than four-stroke types, they aren't as noisy, they develop torque like an electric motor, and they're usually cheaper. I've had two of them over the years and have always been happy with their performance. I buy the absolute cheapest push rotary mower and just throw them away when they're worn out, or rust through, or the wheels fall off after five or six seasons. Both of the two-strokes I had, the decks eventually rotted through, the engines were fine. Mixing gas is no big deal, you buy the small 50:1 bottles of oil that make a gallon of mix. Just dump the oil in a gallon can and fill with gas -- nothing to measure, no mess. It's as easy as filling the gas tank, and you do it once or twice a season. Mixing the gas is less hassle, IMO, than changing oil in the engine crankcase, which is usually a messy PITA.

Yep, a lightweight two-stroke is just the ticket.

angrypancake
05-05-2006, 08:25 PM
a two stroke self propelled would work nicely for her.

BillionPa
05-05-2006, 08:26 PM
http://www.lawn-boy.com/productinfo/mowers/Insight/flash/feature.html

BillionPa
05-05-2006, 08:28 PM
specifically the 10696 which has "electric start", sensaspeed, and a honda motor.

wingman
05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
My lawn 'ride' (push actually) has a Briggs & Stratton 375 4-stroke and it is bullet proof. Starts first time every time and uses minimum oil. A mate bought a Honda and in his opinion it's crap. He's going back to the Briggs & Stratton.

mamilapon
05-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Mate, you need to buy a 4 stroke self propelled B&S. Is quieter and uses less fuel than a 2 stroke; and you don't want mum to be mixing oil and stuff!It will last forever too. Good second hand 4strokes are not expensive.

Paul in NZ
05-06-2006, 01:18 AM
isnt there an Aussie rechargeable electric one.Ideal, no petrol to buy, no oil to change/check, no starting hassles just charge and go....ideal for a flat lawn

enviromower (http://www.enviromower.com.au/index.shtml)

fujioko
05-06-2006, 02:27 AM
Mr. Fujioko likes the utility version of the lawnboy . Its two stroke, light weight , no extra junk. The X-Mrs Fujioko liked the fully optioned lawnboy with self propelled and electric start.
Since I booted her ass to the curb, her lawnboy now collects dust in the shed, and that’s fine with me.

ryan roopnarine
05-06-2006, 04:06 AM
you live in a "commonwealth" country, so i doubt you'd have trouble finding an electric. if her lawn isn't too big, the only way i'd go for my mother (and she isn't even that old) is electric or cordless electric. they make some very, very small electrics that would negate the effects of the self-propelled so long as the grass isn't too high. if the lot is kinda big, the wireless electric works ok. i think that you are likely overestimating an old lady's ability to pull start a gas motored lawnmower. i'd suggest that, if you are married, drying out (so it isn;t primed) your gas mower and letting your wife/so play the pull/prime game. most women types will give up on it if it is too hard, and more importantly, end up with sore shoulders/injuries while trying.

Zeuk in Oz
05-06-2006, 04:25 AM
If you are getting a petrol mower, avoid Briggs & Stratton like the plague.

Honda 4 strokes are what all the contractors use.

But surely there is a 15 year old boy close by who needs some pocket money ! Much better option.

kyleN20
05-06-2006, 04:35 AM
for a ton of info on the topic, got to LawnServiceForum.com, and use the search button just like here. i run a small lawn service, and have some good equipment, honda mowers are great, but heavy if you dont have self propeled, but on the other hand, very easy to start. another good mower, that i have personal experiance with is a johndeere, not to heave, starts every time, ect. but like i said the guys on that forum have loads of info for you

632 Regal
05-06-2006, 05:43 AM
good man, one more to go to catch up.

The X-Mrs Fujioko, Since I booted her ass to the curb

SRR2
05-06-2006, 05:49 AM
And weighs four tons.

SRR2
05-06-2006, 05:50 AM
Mixing oil is much easier, quicker, and less messy than having to change crankcase oil.

joshua43214
05-06-2006, 05:54 AM
I hate mowing the lawn more than almost anything else in the world. My exwife loved to mow, seemed like a match made in heaven.

Well my exwife tore her rotator cuf. So I bought her a used Lawnboy 2stroke electric start, selfpropelled rig from my Snap On dealer. And she was able to happily mow even with a dislocated shoulder.

After we separated, I was left with this PoS. It won't self propell when the grass is wet, and the offset wheel causes it to tip. The speed is preset to too fast on dry grass and too slow on wet grass.

Meanwhile, my nextdoor neighbor of 84 years had a Toro 2 stroke self propelled rig. One day my battery goes dead, so I borrow his. The thing is a masterpiece, it moves at the speed you move, cuts flawlessly, and doesn't tip.

Moral of the story; Buy and Toro, and don't marry a woman that loves to push so much she will insist on mowing with a torn rotator cuf.

kyleN20
05-06-2006, 10:13 AM
so you looking to get rid of that commerical lawnboy?

mamilapon
05-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Thats when genphreak steps in!

genphreak
05-07-2006, 03:13 AM
If you are getting a petrol mower, avoid Briggs & Stratton like the plague. Honda 4 strokes are what all the contractors use. But surely there is a 15 year old boy close by who needs some pocket money ! Much better option. Yea I noticed that the contractors prefer them. I like the Hondas except I'd like something affordable.. or less ugly. That enviromower looks the business, okay, petrol heads would prefer a real engine, but if it does what they claim- for Mum it'd be ideal.

I recently rebuilt my gf's mum's Victa, it runs just great but I was not impressed by a 2-stroke w a plastic carburettor- It seemed like the thing was bastardised by accountants, not improved by engineers with each new release. Nor do I like the fumes it blows around me; noise is no problem, but the neighbours wouldn't be ignoring it like I can.

I wonder whether the Asian imports will kill the Local manufacturers this year (or next)... :( Nick

genphreak
05-07-2006, 03:20 AM
isnt there an Aussie rechargeable electric one.Ideal, no petrol to buy, no oil to change/check, no starting hassles just charge and go....ideal for a flat lawn- enviromower (http://www.enviromower.com.au/index.shtml) Paul thanks a heap. I never saw the thing. That sure looks the business- not cheap, but it really looks half decent- and I could avoid yet another machine, driven by one of the many insistent females in my life that needs constant maintenance...

genphreak
05-07-2006, 03:24 AM
...i'd suggest that, if you are married, drying out (so it isn;t primed) your gas mower and letting your wife/so play the pull/prime game. most women types will give up on it if it is too hard, and more importantly, end up with sore shoulders/injuries while trying.LOL yes that's plainly clear just reading that- Ryan. My mum is pretty good, she'd be fine with one now (with a careful procedure detailed out)- but she won't have the patience for it this time next year- and this is something I want her to be able to do and feel good about. She does all the other gardening tasks- and is very competent. You are dead right. what she needs is a simple machine to cut the grass, not a complicated one. Thanks, :) nick

genphreak
05-07-2006, 03:27 AM
I hate mowing the lawn more than almost anything else in the world. My exwife loved to mow, seemed like a match made in heaven... Moral; Buy and Toro, and don't marry a woman that loves to push so much she will insist on mowing with a torn rotator cuf.:D Thanks- I was checking the Toros... impressive machines they are. :) Nick

genphreak
05-07-2006, 03:31 AM
And weighs four tons.Thanks fellas... it's definately the best lawmowing equipment website I have every seen. It looks like good stuff too. It's beyond my proce range tho. One can buy so many Asian imports for half the price of a cheap MTD... but I'd rather an older, better design than a new one that goes wrong and can't be fixed easily. THe Real problem is there is n lawboy vendor I can find in Australia... :(

Gene in NC
05-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Starting is the key. Teach Mom to use starter fluid. Prime with the push button, hit the airfilter "in" with a little shot of ether and it will fire on the first rotation which makes the start very easy. Grandma turns 70 in July but she couldn't start mower to save her life.