PDA

View Full Version : New fuel

mamilapon
05-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I just filled up with 'unleaded 95 plus' with 10% Ethanol. Supposed to be good for the engine. I'm in sydney so its all pretty new to us. BTW it was $1.24 a litre.

BillionPa
05-05-2006, 06:10 PM
supposed to = isnt.

ethanol + older bmw engines dont play well, especially if you have a nikasil engine.

ethanol is corrosive to engine parts, has lower energy than gasoline, and lowers both horsepower and gas mileage.

your car will still run, just not the way you want it to.

Alexlind123
05-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Stay away from ethanol, if at all possible.

Rustam
05-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Stay away from ethanol, if at all possible.

what's wrong?

Alexlind123
05-05-2006, 08:20 PM
what's wrong?

I wont pretend to be an expert on the subject, but from what i understand ethanol gives your engine less power and makes the exhaust smell bad.

mamilapon
05-06-2006, 04:04 PM
I can relate. It's exactly what happens to me after a few beers!!

jjdickm
05-06-2006, 04:14 PM
doesn't the ethanol allow the engine to have more a complete burn also doen't it cool your engine? I have never heard that ethanol is corrosive.

onewhippedpuppy
05-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I have heard that ethanol can have a negative effect on engines not designed for them, i.e. older cars. It makes sense, when E34s were designed ethanol wasn't used in gasoline. It's like the older cars that leak when synthetic oil is used in them, it's just not part of the design. Why take a chance?

Rustam
05-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I have heard that ethanol can have a negative effect on engines not designed for them, i.e. older cars. It makes sense, when E34s were designed ethanol wasn't used in gasoline. It's like the older cars that leak when synthetic oil is used in them, it's just not part of the design. Why take a chance?

I heard that an upgrade to regular system for usage of ethanol gas would entail changing to stainless steel fuel lines...

BillionPa
05-06-2006, 06:16 PM
a 10% concentration in ethanol reduces gas mileage by about 20% in all E34 engines, making you use more foreign oil and spend more on gas.

ethanol is supposed to reduce carbon oxides when the engine is running rich, by allowing the non burned fuel to "burn" on its way to the cats using the ethanol as an oxygen substitute.

HOWEVER.. motronic 3 cant compensate for the lower energy content of the ethanol through ignition timing modification because it "appears" to the engine sensors to be running fine.

the engine management system in the Nissan 350Z and Murano run totally fine with 10% ethanol, but ours runs pretty rough and pathetic.

Alexlind123
05-06-2006, 06:29 PM
In my area, all gasoline is 10% ethanol throughout the winter.

BillionPa
05-06-2006, 07:10 PM
i have no idea why the hell they would put ethanol in there only during the winter, it allows the gasoline to attract more water than normal.

the ONLY reason i can fathom is they want peoples fuel lines freezing?

Bill R.
05-06-2006, 08:09 PM
winter temperature inversion it holds carbon monoxide near the ground in the city and won't let it dissipate like during the summer. By using an oxygenate such as ethanol, the combustion process is more complete producing less carbon monoxide. And as i stated before with first hand knowledge on mine and on many customers cars the average drop in mileage with 10% ethanol is right around 10%. 10% ethanol is approved for all bmw's but it certainly won't make it run better. There's a performance and mileage hit using it.

i have no idea why the hell they would put ethanol in there only during the winter, it allows the gasoline to attract more water than normal.

the ONLY reason i can fathom is they want peoples fuel lines freezing?

Qube
05-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Was filling up the tank at Sunoco near the Shannonville track. 94 Octane and a big sticker that declared "Enhanced with Ethanol". Yeah. Thanks :|

BillionPa
05-07-2006, 11:45 AM
a better chemical to "enhance" the gas with is Acetone.

it lowers exhaust pollutants, increases power, cleans the injectors, keeps water out of the gas, increases mileage, and makes the exhaust smell better!

i use a mix of Acetone, FP60, and Techron (3 gallon treatment for every 12 gallons) and my car runs a lot better on it.

HOWEVER... acetone + ethanol dont play nice, so dont add it to ethanolated gasoline. MTBE oxygenated gas is fine though.

mamilapon
05-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Aren't Ketones carcinogenic?

BillionPa
05-07-2006, 12:44 PM
yes.

about as much as gasoline is.

gasonline contains large concentrations of xylene and toulene, which are more carcinogenic than acetone and MEK.