PDA

View Full Version : What did I Do!!! ?? Help !!! Tire Question.

theurig
05-04-2006, 04:41 PM
My tires both front and back, especially the back were in dire need of replacement. Today I replaced them with 4 Fulda Z rated tires that were the exact same size as the Dunlops that were on 225/60/15. I got them all balanced and saw the guy at the shop balance all the wheels to 00. I get on the highway and whoo aaaa ooo aaa!!! Dreadfull Shake ... feels like it is coming from the right front, so anyway I go back to the shop and tell them to rebalance the wheels , they go ahead and do so, all the rims are fine, no bends or anything..but still dreadfull shake. Somebody help me!! I can't stand driving the E-34 like this!!! This shaking started immediately after these new tires wer put on. I had a slight shake at about 60-65 mph on the previous tires. Is it an alignment I need to do ?

Dave M
05-04-2006, 04:49 PM
wierd.

I wish I had something meaningful to say, but all I can think is that an already worn front end component has found a friend in the new tires. These cars are really picky in the front end. I can drive around with clay packed into my work trucks wheels and barely feel a thing (greater rolling mass), where as dog **** on my old Fuldas would cause a shimmy.

I dunno if an alignment would help. Someone will hlep :)

Dave M

theurig
05-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Forgot to point out that entire front end was redone by PO.

SharkmanBMW
05-04-2006, 04:59 PM
what is a Fulda?

PO redid what with what parts? Lemforder?

did you watch the wheels balance? no hops in the tire or wheel?
obviously something is wrong:(
I have an attachment to this post with a pdf on shimmy... but it does not show up in my post! weird

joshua43214
05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
A Fulda is a german made tire, they are owned by goodyear.

No problem on old tire, big problem on new tire=something wrong with tire.

Did you buy directional tires? makes sure the little arrow is pointing in the correct direction.

Would not surprise me if they sold you a bad tire,

Isolate the tire by rotating it to the rear or the opposite side, do this even if they are directional or they are different front and back. This is only for testing purposes, you can put every thing back afterwards. Since the problem appeared after the tires where replaced, they are the first things I would suspect. Rotating them arround will verify if the the problem is related to the tire or rim.

theurig
05-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes they are directional tires and now that you mentioned it, I think two of them are not mounted in the correct direction, I kind of noted that but didn't pay any attention to it!!! I won't even go back to that shop!! Screw them!!! I'll take your advice, hopefully it will be riding like a true e-34 by Saturday, will let you all know my findings.

SharkmanBMW
05-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes they are directional tires and now that you mentioned it, I think two of them are not mounted in the correct direction, I kind of noted that but didn't pay any attention to it!!! I won't even go back to that shop!! Screw them!!! I'll take your advice, hopefully it will be riding like a true e-34 by Saturday, will let you all know my findings.

you should go back and show them they ****ed up, that is very uncool.
My friends brother had a brand new accord, they put on winters (backwards on one side) and he lost it stopping, the car spun and was totalled!

Robin-535im
05-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Forgot to point out that entire front end was redone by PO.
Hubcentric rings are my vote. Are the rims stock or aftermarket? Tire guys NEVER get it when it comes to hubcentric rings... not too common I guess for non e34 cars.

Otherwise I agree with Joshua90210 ;) , rotate the tires to see what you can deduce about which tires are bad.

Could also be the hub if they torqued the crud out of them when putting the tires back on. A dial indicator can tell you if it's out of round, and a good straight edge can help to see if it's warped at the bolt holes. Bill R had some real nice pictures up once upon a time, maybe he'll repost them.

MBXB
05-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Also check for rust, crap, etc, between the hub and the wheel. They should have cleaned it before mounting but most places just slap the wheel on.
Bottom line: clean the hub and wheel before you mount.

wierd.

I wish I had something meaningful to say, but all I can think is that an already worn front end component has found a friend in the new tires. These cars are really picky in the front end. I can drive around with clay packed into my work trucks wheels and barely feel a thing (greater rolling mass), where as dog **** on my old Fuldas would cause a shimmy.

I dunno if an alignment would help. Someone will hlep :)

Dave M

632 Regal
05-05-2006, 08:26 AM
I wouldnt chance going back, they could **** up a rim or something.

Make sure you have hubcentric rings!
Spin the tires on the front and see if any are out of round.

you should go back and show them they ****ed up, that is very uncool.
My friends brother had a brand new accord, they put on winters (backwards on one side) and he lost it stopping, the car spun and was totalled!