PDA

View Full Version : transmission

wang540
05-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Well i had a stroke of bad luck, my transmission(manual) blew while i was on the highway. I tell ya, it is a pretty crappy sound to hear while going 70 mph. How much am i looking at for a new tranny if i do ther repairs myself.

joshua43214
05-04-2006, 12:13 PM
What do you mean blew? I have seen clutch's self destruct with alot of drama. Did the gearbox actualy break open? if so, you need a new reman or used one. Lots of special tools in rebuilding a trans.

Normaly a manual will give alot of warning before it fails unless it is overstressed really hard doing drop shifts or craming it in reverse while moving forward. I saw a manual that the guy managed to get it into reverse at 65MPH, was a real mess.

wang540
05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Well i was just cruising along and all of sudden i heard this terrible crunching sound so i pulled over. At first i thought my tire blew and the scraping/crunching was my rim on the highway but my tires were fine. So i figured i just ran over something and i got back into my car and turned it on and put it in gear and when i let off the clutch and gave it some gas it makes a sound like metal rattleing around and everything. It does it in every gear. When the guy was taking it off the tow truck and we were pushing the car down the driveway you can hear rattling and scrapping/grinding. My dad who grew up working on cars said its deffinetly the transmission.

joshua43214
05-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Ouch, sounds bad. Do yourself a favor, look in the bellhousing for exploded clutch and cover, I really hope you are lucky.

I agrre, it does sound like the trans though if it was making ugly noises in neutral when rolling it. Unfortunately, there is very little wasted space inside the gearbox, when parts break off, they as often as not break other parts.

Not really possible to make a estimate on cost since you could need anything from a handful of gears to a new case. I would tear it appart and see what you have, then decide whether to fix or replace.

wang540
05-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Alright, thanks for the advice. The clutch didn't feel any different.

But thank you im gonna go into mourning now i loved my car.

jjdickm
05-04-2006, 01:31 PM
I had something similar happen but it ended up to be the flex disk on the drive shaft. but if it is the transmission I have one with 53k on it that im looking to sell let me know.

Robin-535im
05-04-2006, 06:41 PM
I had something similar happen but it ended up to be the flex disk on the drive shaft. but if it is the transmission I have one with 53k on it that im looking to sell let me know.
Second that on the Guibo. If your driveshaft gets loose it whips all around and bangs the crap out of the undercarriage. Cheaper than a tranny!

jjdickm
05-04-2006, 07:55 PM
my car was grinding and also popping out of gear i was told it was the tranny so I bought one and it ended up to be a cheap part. I hope its not your tranny let me know if you need one I can sell this pretty cheap I paid 800(not so smart) I am willing to sell around 400 I guess I can work with you if you really need it.

ThoreauHD
05-04-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm going thirds on the guibo. It's a bit of work but it's just a rubber transmission spacer. Not costly at all. Just get it done at an independent BMW shop, if you don't do it yourself.