PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the Shogun reset process to me?

E34 530
05-03-2006, 04:13 PM
As the title states, I want to try this out. I understand unhooking the + and - cables, but what does it mean to "short them" (just touch them to each other?) Thanks for your help and sorry for the dumb question.

SchnellE34
05-03-2006, 04:21 PM
There's no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers

Short out - means all of the capacitors in the computers loose their charge and therefore memory. Yes, the cables won't reach each other so just use a long metal pole (screw driver) and make sure nothing touches the battery during the process. I used a couple of pieces of carpet on top of the battery to make sure that didn't happen. Do a search for the procedure, or his website...

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
It's that simple.

Disconnect battery, and cross the leads and sing a few bars of Deutschland Uber Alles.

It clears the memory of most of the systems, with the exception of the dreaded SRS warning light.

E34 530
05-03-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks for your help guys, but I'm still not understanding this 100%. I did search beofre posting the question and these are the steps I'm going by.

1. disconnect battery cables, first -, then +
2. turn ignition on position II
3. connect both battery cables ("short") for at least 10 minutes for drain of remaining power out of the system
4. ignition off
5. connect battery cables again to battery, first +, then -

I still don't fully understand step # 3 though.

joshua43214
05-03-2006, 04:29 PM
After discharging, turn the lever above the stock and remove the spent shells. Install new shells, close the breach and press the hammers down with your thumb.

SchnellE34
05-03-2006, 04:32 PM
...riiiiiiiiiight Josh

Anyways, step three means connect the cables together. Like I said I used a screwdriver and put it through both holes of the battery cables (thus completing the circuit. Does this answer your question?

I was hoping it would clear my SRS but I read that it wouldn't. I am not taking it to the stealership to clear either. I am finding a way to do it myself...

Gayle
05-03-2006, 04:51 PM
I appreciate your clarifying this. I have wondered the same thing.

E34 530
05-03-2006, 04:54 PM
...riiiiiiiiiight Josh

Anyways, step three means connect the cables together. Like I said I used a screwdriver and put it through both holes of the battery cables (thus completing the circuit. Does this answer your question?

I was hoping it would clear my SRS but I read that it wouldn't. I am not taking it to the stealership to clear either. I am finding a way to do it myself...

That helps. Obviously you have to connect both of the cables to the metal part of the screwdriver, correct??

SchnellE34
05-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Yes this in addition to the key in pos 2 will allow electrons to flow through the entire circuit thus 'shorting it out'

Wait until after you do it man you are gonna flip :D

E34 530
05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Yes this in addition to the key in pos 2 will allow electrons to flow through the entire circuit thus 'shorting it out'

Wait until after you do it man you are gonna flip :D

Alright thanks for your help man. I feel like such a dumbass asking such a basic question lol.

E34 530
05-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Also, did you get any sparking or anything?? When I used to have to cross the terminals in my old job to trickle charge car's batteries, I used to get a preety good amount of sparks going.

SchnellE34
05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
No, you shouldn't get anything like that during the reset process (connecting the terminals together) If you do thats very bad. It may spark when reconnecting the second (neg) battery cable back onto the battery, but thats ok. Remember, very important to cover the battery during the process!

-cP

Spasso
05-03-2006, 06:24 PM
So here is another dumb question, what is the purpose of this procedure? Is it just to "baseline" everything for reprograming or is this correcting a specific problem?
Thanks, DJ

Alexlind123
05-03-2006, 06:31 PM
You dont need to short the leads, just leave them unhooked for a respectable amount of time.

SchnellE34
05-03-2006, 06:32 PM
It's not used for one specific problem as far as I know. After a while the engine and trans will learn how it's owner drives and compensates or adjusts for those activities. All of this information is stored and constantly used during operation. The reset will take the engine and trans basically back to "baseline" thus reprograming everything.

KenB
05-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Just wondering about this reset topic, more dumbass questions.

Does this reset do anything for a manual tranny car? It would seem to re- map the trans program in an automatic and the ECU for the motor, (I guess like changing to an EAT chip) it has to re-learn the new mapping or start over from baseline.

I removed my EAT chip last summer thinking I could go to regular gas. It ran like a POS with the stock chip. Worse than I ever remember it running before I changed to the EAT chip. I put the EAT chip back in the next day, I guess I didn't give the stock chip enough of a chance to get it's groove back. I dunno.

Does it disable the radio requiring the code or is that only if the radio is removed?

liquidtiger720
05-03-2006, 06:59 PM
you'll need the code for the radio.

SchnellE34
05-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't know about a manual trans. Give it a shot and let us know.

Spasso
05-03-2006, 08:40 PM
It's not used for one specific problem as far as I know. After a while the engine and trans will learn how it's owner drives and compensates or adjusts for those activities. All of this information is stored and constantly used during operation. The reset will take the engine and trans basically back to "baseline" thus reprograming everything.
Thanks for the info. I may do this to the Touring I just bought. I'm so used to my sedan that when I drive the Touring it feels like somebody elses car (obviously).

SRR2
05-04-2006, 12:00 AM
I hate to disappoint you, but this "Shogun Reset" is your basic urban legend. "Shogun" himself has said many times that he's no electrical expert. The short story here is that you can achieve the same result, without the mysticism, by simply disconnecting the battery ground terminal for a couple minutes. Yep, that's right. That's all you need to do. There's no circuit that uses battery keep-alive that can hold up even a minute. Waiting five is serious overkill.

zmuff
05-04-2006, 01:26 AM
I hate to disappoint you, but this "Shogun Reset" is your basic urban legend.

Let's call the Mythbusters! They can find out out if it is "plausible" or "busted"!

E34 530
05-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Alright I am currently doing this right now. Do you think this is a good enough contact to drain the capacitators??

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/ripcurl530/2006_0504Image0003.jpg

Bill R.
05-04-2006, 11:35 AM
tell you outright to wait five minutes to allow the caps to drain before working on them. If the reset makes a difference then you have a problem with your car anyway and it will be back the way it was within minutes.

I hate to disappoint you, but this "Shogun Reset" is your basic urban legend. "Shogun" himself has said many times that he's no electrical expert. The short story here is that you can achieve the same result, without the mysticism, by simply disconnecting the battery ground terminal for a couple minutes. Yep, that's right. That's all you need to do. There's no circuit that uses battery keep-alive that can hold up even a minute. Waiting five is serious overkill.

E34 530
05-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Alright, I didn't really notice a difference in anything, but it didn't hurt to try. The only thing I did notice was that I can now lock the doors once again from the trunk. It stopped working about 2 months ago, but now it works, so I guess it wasn't a total loss lol.