PDA

View Full Version : Floppy arm rest

Ross
05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm new to your forum and posted a cooling question a while back that garnered intelligent responses that happened to concur with my own astute diagnosis. Another plastic wasserpumpen impeller failure. This one just had a radial crack that caused it to slip on the shaft.

Before I tear apart about a hundred times more stuff than I need to as to learn how it's built, who will share with me what breaks in the armrests to make them fall down? And where did Fritz hide the fasteners?

Also I just replaced my aux. cooling fan as it was seized, I've saved the fan blade and it's shroud because I thought some one could use it if theirs was collission damaged but with a good motor. It's free so speak up if you can use it.

Thanks

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2006, 02:27 PM
on the inside of the seat.

remove the back panel..it un clips and you should be able the access the bolt that holds the armrest on.

winfred
05-03-2006, 03:33 PM
double check that the pin hasn't started to slip out that holds the arm rest to the bracket, you can see it at the crack between the seat and arm rest and when it backs about half way out it can get floppy

genphreak
05-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Welcome aboard Ross!

The plastic impellor proly went as the cooling system got hotter than normal over quite a few cycles due to the thermo fan being dead... funny how one thing leads to another... one learns to take care of such dependencies on these cars- not doing so can be costly.

You did do the thermostat and use BMW coolblue (OE) coolant as well didn't you? It is an absolute must, jic you don't know. Post some pics when you can and let us know how you go with your new friend... :) Nick

Ross
05-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Welcome aboard Ross!

The plastic impellor proly went as the cooling system got hotter than normal over quite a few cycles due to the thermo fan being dead... funny how one thing leads to another... one learns to take care of such dependencies on these cars- not doing so can be costly.

You did do the thermostat and use BMW coolblue (OE) coolant as well didn't you? It is an absolute must, jic you don't know. Post some pics when you can and let us know how you go with your new friend... :) Nick
why is this coolant so special?

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2006, 05:05 PM
and it's one of few that won't dissolve the head gasket or corrode the mixed metal cooling system.

Ross
05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
By mixed metal do you mean ferrous and aluminum or some friggin' exotic stuff. So what are the head gaskets made of,marzipan? Is there really something special. I've used the nice green stuff the neighbors dog likes to lick from the driveway forever including lots of BMWs without ill effect. This'95 m50 is the most current of the bunch. Has something changed? I can certainly change it out but would like to understand why.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2006, 05:39 PM
ferrous and aluminum metals

and yes the head gaskets are made of that nasty almond butter crap.

Ross
05-03-2006, 05:41 PM
So what's wrong with the green stuff?

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
whole heard of posts now.

Coolant and oil threads turn nasty sooner or later.

It has to do with phosphate, and silica content.

Alexlind123
05-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Where do you purchase this "BLUE" coolant?

Ross
05-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Of course the coolant bottle claims to be for all cooling systems. I'm no chemist but am a skeptic. Do you know what is different about this motor?
Now I'm concerned about this.

Ross
05-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I'ts not blue it's the regular sickly green/yellow stuff. Bought it at Wal-Mart. The cars owners book states to use nitrite and amino free. There is no mention of these on the bottle. The bottle is blue.

ThoreauHD
05-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Armrest replacement with pictures. I like pictures.
I have no idea what the topic is now so I'll just answer your original question.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_34.htm

Ross
05-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks, it may turn out to be just the pin. Nah, this is my car now so nothing will be easy. The topic has turned somewhat to coolant.I've used non BMW discount store stuff and now am concerned by what many have said here about using the BMW blue stuff only. I don't mind(********) paying for it but would like to understand why.

joshua43214
05-03-2006, 06:47 PM
The BMW stuff is known to be the right stuff for us. As near as I can tell, the VW stuff is the same. The blue stuff doensit react with any part of the engine. As folks have already stated, it has to do with the phosfates and silicates and how they interact with the aluminum of the engine. The wrong coolant can cause premature gasket failure in theory, and it seems to be in practice as well.

Also, the BMW coolant has a roundel on it that you can cut out and use as a coaster or carpet tape to doorknobs. The VW stuff has a VW logo on it, so its worthless.

Ross
05-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Looks like I'll be draining it out. And I just put a radiator in my POS old Jeep and wasted fresh coolant on it!