PDA

View Full Version : anyone who has done a manual conversion please help!!!

bullyd
05-03-2006, 07:30 AM
i found a e34 530i m30 manual breaking!! can anyone help by listing the parts i gotta get him to ship to convert my 535i auto to manual? thanks in advance, daemon

joshua43214
05-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Best thing would be to have them remove any body panels, glass, the engine, and then buy whats left. its easy to list the major components, but you will nickle and dime yourself into the poorhouse.

Flywheel
Clutch assy
Trans
Drivshaft
Clutch master and slave
Clutch resavoir
Clutch hydrolic tubing
All clips for mounting hydrolics
Shifter
Shifter consol
Shifter rod
All clips that mount the shifter and consol and rod
Clutch pedal and pushrod

Johntee540
05-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Dont forget the Manual Pedal Cluster; and the Instrument Panel from the car that has the coding chip in it to tell the ECU that its no longer a manual car. - JT

gale
05-03-2006, 12:13 PM
i found a e34 530i m30 manual breaking!! can anyone help by listing the parts i gotta get him to ship to convert my 535i auto to manual? thanks in advance, daemon

I don't have an itemized list per se, but if you read between the lines, this link covers most of it. I did mine from scratch with a mix of used parts and dealer items. No need to bring home a complete donor car but if you do and have room to store it & piece it out afterwards on ebay, it will help recover some expense and might even come out to the good.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm

Feel free to e-mail me for more details.

Kalevera
05-03-2006, 02:47 PM
The flywheel, clutch, most of the clutch hydraulics and shifter are probably not worth keeping. Get them if you'll need them to figure out how to put the car together. A donor with any kind of mileage on it will probably also have a driveshaft in need of a rebuild.

You do NOT need the manual pedal bracket on early E32/E34 cars, the spring perch is already there and the pedals can be bolted in to place (but get the clutch switch bracket). New pedals are inexpensive. Simple wiring can also defeat the need for a coding chip.

The other item is trans bolts: they're unique to M30/S38 cars and are hardly generic in BMW's part system.

One final caveat is the crossmember: 9/89 and earlier cars use a different part that can be adapted to later cars, but I wouldn't do it.

Expect to spend a grand beyond what it costs to acquire the used stuff in new parts, unless the car's been impeccably maintained and has had all of the typical stuff replaced already.

best, whit

Johntee540
05-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Better Idea yet! Take your car out to Koala Motorsports like I did and have Brett and Lowell do the conversion for you. Fly into Cleveland Airport to pick it up and drive it home.

Couldn't have been easier and they have already cracked the code on doing these types of conversions. They have already performed them on dozens of cars including 7 Series; 5 Series Tourings; and my favorite the e34 m5 with the v-12 Engine in it! - JT

bullyd
05-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Better Idea yet! Take your car out to Koala Motorsports like I did and have Brett and Lowell do the conversion for you. Fly into Cleveland Airport to pick it up and drive it home.

Couldn't have been easier and they have already cracked the code on doing these types of conversions. They have already performed them on dozens of cars including 7 Series; 5 Series Tourings; and my favorite the e34 m5 with the v-12 Engine in it! - JT
only 1 problem with your suggestion john, if i try to drive home from koala motorsports i might get a little wet as im in the uk! thanks to everyone else as well, im gonna look at this car in detail before deciding to take the plunge, im not sure its not worth selling mine and buying a manual now, argghhh, decisions decisions:p

Johntee540
05-04-2006, 01:12 AM
only 1 problem with your suggestion john, if i try to drive home from koala motorsports i might get a little wet as im in the uk! thanks to everyone else as well, im gonna look at this car in detail before deciding to take the plunge, im not sure its not worth selling mine and buying a manual now, argghhh, decisions decisions:p

Having driven an automatic version of these cars for the last 3 years - all I can say is: the Manual is worth every penny. So much so that I just added an EAT Chip last night for a whole nother dimension of fun! good look thinking this through - JT

Omega
05-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi Daemon.

In a nut shell, sell what you have and buy a manual....

At present in the UK, e34's are worth the square root of naff all. I have seen plenty of auto and manual 535's going for sub £1000 in the AutoTrader. If only 540i (or M5) tourings were the same....... Fingers crossed.

My recommendation is buy a manual car and swap over the bits you want to keep from your current car, then sell it. It would be easier and far cheaper in the long run.