PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber work

1995 525i
05-03-2006, 03:27 AM
Does anyone here know of a place I could send all of my wood trim pieces to and have them covered in carbon fibre? I want it done well and I want it to match the color of my car.

Thanks,

Michael

Nick.Hay
05-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Blue carbon fibre??

Im in australia, so I can't help. sorry :(

1995 525i
05-04-2006, 04:28 AM
Blue carbon fibre??

Im in australia, so I can't help. sorry :(

My car is closer to black than blue...I thought it would look nice with my grey interior. Just a thought.

Dr. evil
05-04-2006, 04:36 AM
it's really not that hard to do you just need to get the fabric, resine and time

Rob
05-04-2006, 04:36 AM
Personally, I wouldn't. I think it may be too much in side that car. However, you know your car better then I do. ;)

Dr. evil
05-04-2006, 04:43 AM
you can get the stuff from aircraft spruce .com

1995 525i
05-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Personally, I wouldn't. I think it may be too much in side that car. However, you know your car better then I do. ;)

You may be right. It was an idea I had. Black would look better but wouldn't match the car. I'm just not very fond of the wood I have. Doesn't seem to fit the appearence as well as it does with black/tan interiors.

Michael

NH004
05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Does anyone here know of a place I could send all of my wood trim pieces to and have them covered in carbon fibre? I want it done well and I want it to match the color of my car.

Thanks,

Michael

Here`s something that might look good:D
http://www.euromcars.com/parts/e34m5/int/balc1.htm

onewhippedpuppy
05-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Ever thought of having it done in gloss black like a grand piano? I've seen it before, with the lighter colored interiors it looks quite good. A good body shop could easily prep and paint them, probably wouldn't be much more than $100 or so.

As for the CF, give me a month or so and I may know what I'm doing with it. I'm going to work at the National Institute for Aviation Research in their composites research lab, probably start out doing lay-up.

KGB_SSSR
05-05-2006, 03:08 AM
My car is closer to black than blue...I thought it would look nice with my grey interior. Just a thought.

Make a picture of your interior and try it in Adobe Photoshop)

1995 525i
05-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Ever thought of having it done in gloss black like a grand piano? I've seen it before, with the lighter colored interiors it looks quite good. A good body shop could easily prep and paint them, probably wouldn't be much more than $100 or so.

As for the CF, give me a month or so and I may know what I'm doing with it. I'm going to work at the National Institute for Aviation Research in their composites research lab, probably start out doing lay-up.

Good suggestions! Perhaps I could get a body shop to paint it for me although i'm afraid it might hurt the re-sale value if it looks to ghetto.
let me know how it oes with the CF work.

Cheers,

Michael

ILoveMPower
05-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Here`s something that might look good:D
http://www.euromcars.com/parts/e34m5/int/balc1.htm

*drools*

Ever thought of having it done in gloss black like a grand piano?

I've seen this on an E39, and it looked AWESOME! He had his wood trim painted in the same color as his car, which happened to be schwarz. I think this would look much better than carbon fiber, as it keeps the classy look.

Jon K
05-05-2006, 05:24 AM
Alcantara for the win

Rustam
05-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Good suggestions! Perhaps I could get a body shop to paint it for me although i'm afraid it might hurt the re-sale value if it looks to ghetto.
let me know how it oes with the CF work.

Cheers,

Michael

perhaps you can look into colorful alternative to carbon fiber - kevlar...

Jon K
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
They make carbon fiber colored. I can get red, blue, green, yellow... but they don't have too many shades... just light or dark of each shade. I have a BUNCH of carbon fiber cloth that is excess right now.

http://e34.digital7.com/MegaSquirt/cf1.jpg

Andrea K
05-05-2006, 12:36 PM
They make carbon fiber colored. I can get red, blue, green, yellow... but they don't have too many shades... just light or dark of each shade. I have a BUNCH of carbon fiber cloth that is excess right now.

http://e34.digital7.com/MegaSquirt/cf1.jpg

No it's not.

Jon K
05-05-2006, 12:51 PM
No it's not.

LOL - not the material at home andrea - josh smith, friend, has about 5 yards hes trying to sell.

Rustam
05-06-2006, 02:12 AM
They make carbon fiber colored.

Carbon fiber can never be colored... Carbon is graphite, loosely speaking... Pencils are made using graphite - pull out a regular number 2 for example pencil - what color do you see?

No, colored pencils are not made of graphite...

If the fiber has color then it's KEVLAR, and anyone who believes that (s)he is buying colored carbon fiber paying carbon fiber price is taken for a big ride...

Booster
05-06-2006, 02:14 PM
While this is true, There are varieties of CF/Kevlar blends or Hybrids somewhat available that do come in color hues such as blue,red,orage etc. Kevlar in its self is a dark yellow....for those that didn't already know.
You could indeed do a wet lay-up overlay on the parts once removed from the car and then wetsand and spray with automotive Eurothane clears.....then wetsand some more and polish. Alot of work for the "LOOK", but still miles less work than doing it right as in making molds and doing resin Infusion as a replacement part.
.............V'

Rustam
05-06-2006, 04:29 PM
While this is true, There are varieties of CF/Kevlar blends or Hybrids somewhat available that do come in color hues such as blue,red,orage etc. Kevlar in its self is a dark yellow....for those that didn't already know.
You could indeed do a wet lay-up overlay on the parts once removed from the car and then wetsand and spray with automotive Eurothane clears.....then wetsand some more and polish. Alot of work for the "LOOK", but still miles less work than doing it right as in making molds and doing resin Infusion as a replacement part.
.............V'

very good, I am glad you can support in provsion of some info to those who may think that they are buying "colored carbon fiber"...

Jon K
05-06-2006, 09:55 PM
very good, I am glad you can support in provsion of some info to those who may think that they are buying "colored carbon fiber"...

Actually - you're wrong. The "carbon" in the carbon fiber accounts for the black twill in the run. The grey is actually a high strength rayon/nylon/glass/sometimes polyester. The black part is available in different colors.

"These filaments are stranded into a thread. Carbon fiber thread is rated by the number of filaments per thread, in thousands. For example, 3K (3,000 filament) carbon fiber is 3 times as strong as 1K carbon fiber, but is also 3 times as heavy. This thread can then be used to weave a carbon fiber cloth. The appearance of this cloth generally depends on the size of thread and the weave chosen. Carbon fiber is naturally a glossy black but recently colored carbon fiber has become available."