PDA

View Full Version : Valve check

2fast
05-02-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking of checking my valves,have had the car a year now and have not checked them,I've only changed fluids and filters.

I've never "opened" her up before,have read the Haynes,E34 site,searched and the bible (Bentley)

Few things to buy:

Torque wrench
Lock tight glue
Feeler gauge
Gasket
6 pack:)

Can I use a 32mm wrench on the fan to move the crankshaft,Is this ok?

When I get the first cylinder at TDC do I adjust both sides at the same time?
Is it easy to tell when its at TDC?

Sorry for the lame question's, I have never done this before trying to get as much info as I can so I don't mess things up.

I want to make her purr:D

joshua43214
05-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Use the 32mm wrench to remove the fan and turn the engine with a wrench on the crank bolt, this takes what? 3 minutes? Turning the engine with the fan nut is just asking for trouble.

There is a pointer on the front of the engine and a notch on the crank, it will be clearly visable with the fan removed. Yours may even have degrees marked on the crank, either way just like up the 0 on the crank with the line on the front of the engine.

Use whatever method of adjusting the valves that makes the most sense to you, every ones system works. just make sure they are consistent.

2fast
05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
So I remove the fan and there should be a crank bolt thats 36mm is that right?

So will need to add a 36mm socket to my list?

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-02-2006, 09:30 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/valve_adjust.htm

2fast
05-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Already have that's why I asked about using the fan bolt,was checking if that's the way most people do it.

2fast
05-02-2006, 09:37 PM
A trick from Brent Berger:
There is no need to use a 36mm socket on the counter balancer to rotate the camshaft, which first requires removing the radiator fan and housing to gain access. All that is needed is a 32mm open end wrench on the radiator fan nut. With all the spark plugs removed, and the fan belt tight, it was very easy to turn the counter balancer and camshaft via the fan nut (clockwise) to set all the valves. This would have helped me greatly if I would have known ahead of time ( I spent a couple days rounding up the very large socket I thought was needed). I hope others will benifit from my experience.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-02-2006, 09:44 PM
old film can and some wire, and your can bump the starter to do it electrically through the big black plug.

2fast
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Thank's But I will stick to doing it by hand the first time around.

So I should use a 36mm socket on the counter balancer (Whatever that is)

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I used a big adjustable wrench from under the car on the crank bolt.

Too lazy to take the fan stuff all off.

turn 1/3 and check the cam lobes to make sure they are pointing down in relation to the block, and adjust.

2x for good luck.

joshua43214
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Sorry, I wasn't thinking clearly when I made my first post. I kinda tired. You will have some trouble finding a 36mm socket, and when yu do it may be very expensive. though Harbor Freight does pop these odd goodies from time to time.

The problem with using the fan nut, is that even with the plugs removed, you need more torque than is required to torque the nut to turn over the engine. But on the other hand, its probably already overtightened, people get neurotic about the fan nut and worry it will spin off and eat the radiator. So, no damage done right? You can crank the engine with the alternater nut with out harming anything.

really, once you use a remote starter, you won't use anything else. Get the kind that has a button(not a paddle) and remove the sheild so you can bang it on the engine to bump it over.

2fast
05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Thank's all

Alexlind123
05-03-2006, 07:33 PM
i managed to fit a socket and ratchet in without removing the fan shroud.

Bill R.
05-03-2006, 07:57 PM
starter switch and inspection light reset tool i made a few years back.
Herehttp://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11234

I'm thinking of checking my valves,have had the car a year now and have not checked them,I've only changed fluids and filters.

I've never "opened" her up before,have read the Haynes,E34 site,searched and the bible (Bentley)

Few things to buy:

Torque wrench
Lock tight glue
Feeler gauge
Gasket
6 pack:)

Can I use a 32mm wrench on the fan to move the crankshaft,Is this ok?

When I get the first cylinder at TDC do I adjust both sides at the same time?
Is it easy to tell when its at TDC?

Sorry for the lame question's, I have never done this before trying to get as much info as I can so I don't mess things up.

I want to make her purr:D

2fast
05-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I just had ago with the remote starter,I grounded two bits of old wire on the engine,then put one wire on the number 14 BIG BLUE spark jumped out I **** myself.

Turn on my car to make sure it still worked ,yip seem's fine.
What happend?

2fast
05-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Did I do this wrong??

I went to the parts store and they don't stock BMW gaskets,told me to try somewere else so I did, but they would have to order it in:( ,So got home got on the phone rang up another parts store they said they would have to order it in and they only sell complete sets which means$$$ told me my best bet was to go to BMW parts,by this time they were shut for the weekend.

Should I risk opening her up and reusing the gasket?
I would like to have a go this weekend but no biggie.

Thank for reading my rant

Robin-535im
05-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Gaskets can be reused for a while. I try to get 2-3 openings-up out of mine, and when they leak I get a new one. Don't be tempted to use RTV to fix the leaks though, that's a messy solution in itself! And don't tighten it down a bunch to stop a leak; it will never seal if the cover is warped.

Just order one from BMA next time you put in an order, that way you don't have to fork up shipping twice. Install is pretty easy, just a dozen 10mm bolts and few screw clamps to get the AFM out of the way and you're all set. I.e., no need to worry about doing it right now, it's not much trouble to do it later.

As for the blue spark that soiled your undies :) You had the wrong pin or didn't have the new bump switch in the off position. Should be no current flow until you hit the switch! That would probably make me wet myself too.