PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Sell

athflying79
05-02-2006, 02:16 AM
I have to part ways with my E34 for now. It's a 91 535 with about 120,000 miles and in relatively good shape for it's age. I hate to put it in the Auto Trader and have someone buy it and just destroy her. I would like to pass it on to someone I know will continue to at the very least maintain her. Any other enthusiast websites I can post at or better yet is there somewhere that I can post by region??

If anyone here is interested, PM me.

Nick.Hay
05-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Best place to sell??

An E34 enthusiasts convention!!

2nd Best??

A BMW enthusiasts convention!!

onewhippedpuppy
05-02-2006, 02:31 AM
Other free places here in the US are Craiglist, Pelican Parts, and Bimmerforums.

Gayle
05-02-2006, 03:06 AM
We sold our 90 525 by putting it out on the corner of a busy street, unlocked (with the code on) with a write-up about e34s in it. It educated potential buyers about the uniqueness of the e34, its good features, and the ease of dyi wrenching a e34. The guy who bought it works on it and maintains it and loves it.

Besides the brochure and think the other key was I detailed that car within an inch of its life. I even detailed the engine. It gave it a well cared for appearance and in turn attracted people who would care for it.

Here is the thread that has our "sales brochure". Even if you don't use our technique, the brochure will give you some sales points in talking with people.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13864

onewhippedpuppy
05-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Gayle, great idea, but you have more guts than I do leaving it unlocked. I know that no one can steal it with the code on, but with all the a-holes in this world I would worry about easy access to the interior. Otherwise I totally agree, don't post pics without it being spotless, and don't show it to anyone dirty. Dirty cars are a huge turn-off, it just screams neglect. The brochure is a nice idea, I typically just put an info sheet in the window, as well as a KBB print-out showing the value as being higher than my asking price.:D

liquidtiger720
05-02-2006, 04:20 AM
Yea, I don't think I could do that unlocked door thing here in the bay area.

VentoGT
05-02-2006, 04:58 AM
I would think all of the enthusiast boards would be a good place--bimmerforums, bimmerfest.com, maybe even post on m5board.com and just have the heading as the type of car you have to sell [although a lot of those guys are over in Europe]...

If you aren't in a hurry then the sites and bmwcca, etc are great places to sell. I have sold all of my Porsches through rennlist.com and PCA, as I don't want to deal with A-holes tire kicking on Autotrader, and eBay is a last resort-type thing for me. That said, if you get to the point where you really need the $$, put her on eBay with no reserve and you might be surprised by what you get for the car--e34s are rare on eBay from what I have seen.

Good luck!

athflying79
05-02-2006, 05:12 AM
All good ideas...thanks. I definitely need to detail her. The hard part is I was going to leave it parked at work with a sign since we are on a major highway, but there is a pre-cast concrete plant about a block away that constantly covers the area in dust. I guess I could just rinse her off every morning. Probably detail this weekend and throw a sign in on Monday.

Antrieb
05-02-2006, 06:32 AM
All good ideas...thanks. I definitely need to detail her. The hard part is I was going to leave it parked at work with a sign since we are on a major highway, but there is a pre-cast concrete plant about a block away that constantly covers the area in dust. I guess I could just rinse her off every morning. Probably detail this weekend and throw a sign in on Monday.
Where are you located?

Rustam
05-02-2006, 07:18 AM
I have to part ways with my E34 for now. It's a 91 535 with about 120,000 miles and in relatively good shape for it's age. I hate to put it in the Auto Trader and have someone buy it and just destroy her. I would like to pass it on to someone I know will continue to at the very least maintain her. Any other enthusiast websites I can post at or better yet is there somewhere that I can post by region??

you can try "Roundel" - BMWCCA magazine...

Gayle
05-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Gayle, great idea, but you have more guts than I do leaving it unlocked. I know that no one can steal it with the code on, but with all the a-holes in this world I would worry about easy access to the interior.

If I didn't live in a laid back beach town, I wouldn't do that. And it was a half block from our house on the corner of a school playground. And we brought it home at night. The greatest danger was someone would ding it with a surfboard on the way to the beach. :)

TV Tom
05-06-2006, 03:33 PM

I saw your post on the BMW E34 website...have you sold it yet? I'm sure you have, but if not, either reply to me in your post, or directly at TVVVV@aol.com
Thanks,
Tom