PDA

View Full Version : In dash head unit

bbig119
05-01-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm starting to look to upgrade the head unit in my '94 540. I've read some older threads on the subject, and it seems many people like clarion.

Well I was just browsing around Crutchfield and found the Clarion DB365USB (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dayHWwt35wg/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=020DB365US). According to crutchfield it won't fit, but it seems no other clarion units will either. I really like the idea of a front usb port to hook up an mp3 player.

What do you guys think? Anyone know of another good head unit that has auxillary or USB inputs that'll fit and e34?

Bryan

ThoreauHD
05-01-2006, 05:19 PM
My opinion. If you could get the Alpine CDA-9856 to mount in there, that would be a better option. Pretty cheap and has excellent uptime and can read everything.

Clarion may have this quality now, but I haven't tested it. So I can't speak for clarion. I've tested pioneer, alpine, blaupunkt, and jvc. For mp3 stuff, the alpine seems to just work and not break.

I don't see your car listed at all on crutchfields site. Are you sure your car exists? :) Just kidding.

Give sales a call tonight and ask what model will fit with usb port and mp3 playback-1-888-955-6000 If they don't know, then call installation at the main store and ask them-434-817-1000. They are open 9-5 and they get yelled at all day by snobby jerkweeds so please be nice.

I live a few miles from crutchfield, by happenstance. Every 5th car here is a BMW. They will know what fits and how. They installed my radio in 5 minutes flat. I've waited longer for hamburgers.

SchnellE34
05-01-2006, 05:43 PM
I went with the Sony CDX-FW570. I believe it's discontinued but you can find it cheap on eBay. It has a red and white RCA input jack. I ran an RCA to earphone jack up through the dash and out the large dash vent. The cable can be pulled out or tucked in. I also use it to plug in the DVD player I put up there. I then put once of those sticky pads to set the iPod on and plug it into the aux port. The setup plays the iPod through the car stereo with great sound quality. Plus this Sony model can change display colors, the red matches the rest of the dash very well, check the the pics:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/cpurcell34/stereo.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/cpurcell34/auxplug.jpg

snavemit
05-01-2006, 05:55 PM
I put in an Alpine 9852 because it is Ipod cable ready instead of the AI interface. It works great. The Alpine 9856 is Ipod cable ready and Satellite radio and it a great unit.

Have always had good equipment from Alpine.

snavemit
05-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Also go to Proclipusa.com for great mounting clips for an Ipod.

bbig119
05-01-2006, 06:32 PM
No offense to those who have ipods, but I don't and at this point have no intention of getting an ipod. I realize that eliminates many potential head units, but that's why I'm looking at the alternatives.

Head units that have auxillary inputs, front or rear. I don't know much about them, but some of these units with usb inputs may prove very flexible and fit the bill.

If it turns out ipod connection is the best way to do things, then I may rethink my stance, but for now I like Thoreau's idea and I'll call Crutchfield tomorrow and get their opinion instead of relying on their computer to say what will and won't fit.

shanek
05-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I have last years Clarion installed in mine and it fit no problem. I remember someone posting a while ago that according to crutchfield the clarion model I have wouldn't fit. I am not that impressed with my Clarion, I do like it but its had a couple issues. Its a dxz845 or something like that. I only got it because it matches the interior. The problems I've had is that it doesn't work when its cold, below 0 celsius, the CD skips until it warms up. Also with some MP3 cds on certain songs it pauses and jams up for a minute or so. I think it may have been a problem with the cds because it hasn't done it in a while. I've had a couple panasonic units and I really liked them. The one I had in my 325 always worked well, even when it was -30, and the one I had before that was installed in 3 different cars before it went into my Mom's truck. She is still using it with no problems. Its like 6 years old.

BillionPa
05-01-2006, 09:18 PM
The Alpine units have an optional hard disk that you can load the crap out of with music. Oh, and bluetooth models too.

Nick.Hay
05-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Mine is a year old VDO (hmm still not back from warranty repairs... better get onto that) CD2203. The headunit is THE most suited aftermarket I could find coz its black, with no chrome bits, and orange illumination. It suits the E34 dash PERFECTLY, has pre-outs and 4x45w channels, so its not too bad power wise either.

It did however overheat (hence repairs needed)... So my .02c says put in a cooling fan too!!

not da best pics.. but you get the idea. Sorry if this is a huge pic too :( :(
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/stnick/Image077.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/stnick/b8708167.jpg