PDA

View Full Version : Bought socketset for $15

Jon K
05-01-2006, 03:13 PM
I had a $45 gift card to Autozone and just sold my old intercooler so I had a couple dollars laying around. I wanted to pick up another toolset because I don't have one at the house and the one at the garage stays there. I didn't really want to spend a large amount on another craftsman set so I checked out the Duralast brand. They were fairly nice and I like the handles much better than craftsman, but they are still pretty expensive. So I wandered the aisles looking for something to blow $45 on, and came across a "Great Neck" tool kit. The first one I looked at priced at $35 was so-so. The ratched looked the same shape as the duralast one so I decided to go to the shelf where they have individual tools and compared the Duralast 3/8" to the Great Neck 3/8"... absolutely identical.

They ratched the same, sounded the same, same weight, everything. But the $35 kit was a little to sparce. I found a 82 pc socket kit with sparkplug socket, etc., which comes with a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" ratched. At $60, I figured I can't go wrong. It also has a lifetime warranty. I picked it up hoping the pictures on the box that looked exactly like the Duralast pieces were accurate and drove home. Popped it open, and for a total of $15 I feel this was a great purchase - even if it had cost me the retail $60 I would have purchased it. Great quality and feel with a lifetime warranty... can't go wrong!

http://e34.digital7.com/MotorBuild/toolkit1.jpg

http://e34.digital7.com/MotorBuild/toolkit2.jpg

Oh also, the box it comes with doesn't let the sockets all fly around at all. Before I opened it I figured they stuffed it with cardboard to keep everything place - not the case. Everything stays put perfectly. Really glad I picked this up!

Dave M
05-01-2006, 03:36 PM
8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, plus a set of open ends, spare hoses and some duct tape:

All you need on the road ;) I have a similar set for long road trips.

Oh, and a dremel with kevlar cut-off wheels.

Good find Jon,

Dave M

kyleN20
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
i have a box cutter razor knofe i carry everywhere that is made by greatneck, its awsome, all aluminum, tohugh i looked at my friends husky razor knife, EXACTLY the same, but still, greatneck is good by me so far, and that looks like a nice set, and lifetime warrenty is good if they stay in business. i found that the problems with the cheap rachets my dad has is the gears inside give out, only working ones we have are a crafstman, snap-on, and a s-k.

Jon K
05-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Well my car requires a slightly different set of road tools...
5mm hex socket, 7mm, 8mm hex socket, 1' of high temp 5/8" silicone hose, 10 hoseclamps, 1 2.5" silicone, 2 3.125" silicones, 1 94.5" Gatorback belt, 1 stock belt (just in case).. etc.

joshua43214
05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
The ratchet looks like it was modeled off the Snap On ratchet, wonder if you can put Snap On parts in it when it breaks. Of course, then the repair would have cost 1/2 of what you paid for the set.

Jon K
05-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Its got a lifetime warranty thru autozone... not worried about it.