PDA

View Full Version : New Fog lights, wrong plug

pgrindstaff
05-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, I ordered a pair of new fog lights saturday off of ebay. Apparently they are OEM lights so I figured what the hell, the wires I have ought to work...wrong. I went out to check the plug that goes into the current light bulb and it is an elliptical type plug. The picture of the connection on these new lights is quite a bit different. Can some one please point me in the right direction as to where to get plugs for these lights?

I don't have them yet so theres no rush, I guess I'll think twice before ordering parts again.

http://69.36.72.119/pictures/6/e34fog7.JPG
New Lights

http://69.36.72.119/pictures/6/e34fog9.JPG
Plug

I currently have these fog lights:
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/P804839446HEL.JPG

liquidtiger720
05-01-2006, 12:24 PM
you need to get h1 female plugs and 9006 mle plugs...just like how one would do for using h1 euro epec ellipsoids. If you search, you should be able to find them.

Rustam
05-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Can some one please point me in the right direction as to where to get plugs for these lights?

A dealer? realoem.com has various plug part numbers...

You live in Georgia, call bavauto.com and speak to their representative about this, they should be able to take care of you...

pgrindstaff
05-02-2006, 10:08 AM
I talked to Bavauto today and the sales rep I talked to could not gaurantee that the part number I asked about was correct. Does anyone know if part number 61131378417 (#5) (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=61_0543&hg=61&fg=15) is the correct part? Also, I'm sure there are ends for the wires that I will need, just don't know which.

liquidtiger720: I searched all over the place for what you suggested and nothing I found looked right.

If any one can confirm this part number then I can call Bavauto back and order it, don't see any reason to order it and not have any idea if it is the right part and to not get all of the parts I need.

Thanks for your input

Speeder 553
05-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Well, I ordered a pair of new fog lights saturday off of ebay. Apparently they are OEM lights so I figured what the hell, the wires I have ought to work...wrong. I went out to check the plug that goes into the current light bulb and it is an elliptical type plug. The picture of the connection on these new lights is quite a bit different. Can some one please point me in the right direction as to where to get plugs for these lights?

I don't have them yet so theres no rush, I guess I'll think twice before ordering parts again.

http://69.36.72.119/pictures/6/e34fog7.JPG
New Lights

http://69.36.72.119/pictures/6/e34fog9.JPG
Plug

I currently have these fog lights:
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/P804839446HEL.JPG

I got those same fog lights off ebay. I took mine to my indy and he found the part for me.

liquidtiger720
05-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Mr. Grind. The p/n he gave you is correct, here is what I have saved.

Circular wiring connectors- (green wire sections about 12 inches long) (x4) = 61-13-0-007-445 {US retail $3.00 /each}
White connector plugs (x2) = 61-13-1-378-417 {US retail $1.45/ each

for the 9005/6 connectors, I'll point you towards www.rallylights.com

Qube
05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Strange... I have the same fogs and got new OE connectors from stealer, and wires from BMA. They fit just fine...

liquidtiger720
05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
how did you connect the wires on the car to the wires from bma?! haha

Qube
05-02-2006, 07:23 PM
how did you connect the wires on the car to the wires from bma?! haha

What do you mean? The connector consists of three parts... two wires with female ends, and the... erm 'holder' which holds the two wires and plugs into the light. It's just a matter of snip and splice.

liquidtiger720
05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
well, the 9006 plug must connect into something, unless you cut that off. =x.

Qube
05-03-2006, 05:54 AM
well, the 9006 plug must connect into something, unless you cut that off. =x.

? We're still talking about the fogs right? My fogs are H1..

pgrindstaff
05-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, its been about 2 weeks and just got the wires and ends today. Unfortunately the ends are the wrong part number and do not fit into the fog light. So, about 15 or 20 minutes with a utility knife got the ends to a point where they would fit snugly into the light fixture. I guess the next special order part I need won't be comming from bavauto but will come from the dealership. Don't get me wrong, I don't place bavauto at any fault at all, would be nice if I could have returned them though ;). So back to my original question, as if it really matters at this point, does anyone know the right part number? I am just curious and I'm sure others are as well.

Thanks for all of your support

Qube
05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Don't forget to seal all around the foglight (lens and all connecting points around the metal band) BEFORE you install and find moisture! :)

632 Regal
05-17-2006, 12:36 AM
there is no exact part number, you can get close but even with the assortment of ones available they are not exact. I ordered 4 difft part numbers and nothing was exact. I used the close one, sanded/ground it to fit and sealed it with silicone grease to keep moisture away. As long as you get them to work and protect the splice (shrink tube) your good to go.

pgrindstaff
05-17-2006, 06:14 AM
there is no exact part number, you can get close but even with the assortment of ones available they are not exact. I ordered 4 difft part numbers and nothing was exact. I used the close one, sanded/ground it to fit and sealed it with silicone grease to keep moisture away. As long as you get them to work and protect the splice (shrink tube) your good to go.

Thanks Jeff

I got these installed lastnight and like I said, did exactly like you did, triming and sanding. It is a snug fit so I didn't seal the plug with silicone grease but I did use shrink tube over the splice. They work great and are very bright, as expected.

Qube
05-17-2006, 08:58 AM
Only reason I say seal ANYWAY is because I've had two pairs of fogs now and they get moisture in. One pair is just like yours above. It leaked around the metal band. Better to seal it now and not need it than have to take it apart... dry... seal... AND deal with possible projector lens crack / bulb crack from the moisture.

pgrindstaff
05-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Only reason I say seal ANYWAY is because I've had two pairs of fogs now and they get moisture in. One pair is just like yours above. It leaked around the metal band. Better to seal it now and not need it than have to take it apart... dry... seal... AND deal with possible projector lens crack / bulb crack from the moisture.

Does your pair not have a rubber seal around the metal ring? I notice yesturday that mine has rubber seals on both, so I guess it should be fine. As for sealing around the plug, I didn't mess with it.

Thanks for the advice

Qube
05-17-2006, 12:22 PM
It does. There is sealing 'stuff' around everything but even so there was moisture until I resealed. At best, it'll be fine, at worse, it'll be an "I told ya so" :)