PDA

View Full Version : Turbo m30 anyone?

Antrieb
05-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm thinking of ideas for my powerplant and after doing some research the TCD m30 sounds like a great plan.

Firstly, Where can I get a good used m30 and transmission? What other parts will I need?

Second, I would love to see some pictures of your m30 turbo setup.

Thanks!

Antrieb
05-01-2006, 12:09 PM
anyone?

Jay 535i
05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I've got my eye on that kit as well. As soon as I win the lotto...

Antrieb
05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
I've got my eye on that kit as well. As soon as I win the lotto...
Oh its not that much especially the stage 1.

BillionPa
05-01-2006, 01:41 PM
for transmission i would get one from an M5, upgrade the clutch, and get a quaife rear diff.

I have no idea where to get used ones, and no idea where to get the engine, but check http://www.bmrparts.com/

AllGo'n'Show
05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm also looking at the TCD kit for M30's, trying to find a 5/6spd for m30's first to buy then rebuild, then throw it in the car along with a rebuilt m30 engine.

jjdickm
05-01-2006, 06:26 PM
I am currently building a turbo m30 but I didn't like the tcd setup. I am setting up forged pistons forged rod and crank with the e23 745i head and turbo also 46 or 42lb injectors and standalone megasquirt system built by jon k. im projecting this summer but i never know.

Antrieb
05-01-2006, 07:00 PM
I am currently building a turbo m30 but I didn't like the tcd setup. I am setting up forged pistons forged rod and crank with the e23 745i head and turbo also 46 or 42lb injectors and standalone megasquirt system built by jon k. im projecting this summer but i never know.
What manifold are you using? I see that as the only object, everything else can be found seperately. I estimate that I could piece together a complete turbo system for less than $3500.

Jon K
05-01-2006, 07:42 PM
speakin of which Jonathon, did you get the money out yet?

AllGo'n'Show
05-01-2006, 08:21 PM
jj isn't a 745i a 4.5l v8? How do you put that on an inline 6? Or do I have the 745i engine specs messed up?

Definatly interested in your build jj, been following Jon's and was very excited, the Bimmer is my daily right now, need to finish my project Regal and get it road stable for a few months then rip into the bimmer.

Jon K
05-01-2006, 08:24 PM
its an M102 i believe, which is a 3.4 or 3.5L inline 6 with factory turbo

Jose
05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Cheapest and easiest way would be to get hold of a M102 engine, rebuild it , change the wastegate to an electronic one ( replace the M102 loom with one from std M30 and remap the ECU) and run it on 14-17psi. With a larger front mounted intercooler, reaching 380-395 bhp at the crank should be no problem.

genphreak
05-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Cheapest and easiest way would be to get hold of a M102 engine, rebuild it , change the wastegate to an electronic one ( replace the M102 loom with one from std M30 and remap the ECU) and run it on 14-17psi. With a larger front mounted intercooler, reaching 380-395 bhp at the crank should be no problem.You'd need to replace the whole ECU otherwise the Motronic goes wrong once the manifold pressure goes positive. ECU on the 745i is quite different to standard stock M30's v1.3.

Might as well use the old loom and redo most the injector and sensor wiring anew. It shouldn't be that hard- one just has to identify all the wires in the loom and splice in, then run a few new ones.

I'd replace the wiring in the engine bay due to the age of it all- and to ensure a nice job :)

Alan_525i
05-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Antrieb, you know you can get 290+ at the rear wheels with the TCD M20 tubro Stage II setup. I know it won't be as fast as a 350+ hp m30 setup but it sure is a lot cheaper and less trouble in the long run. That's my plan for when I get another car to serve as a daily driver.

jjdickm
05-02-2006, 05:33 AM
hey sorry I haven't written back i've been out of town. but to answer questions I am building my own manifold out of 2" stainless steel and I do have the original 745i manifold I will be selling after I build that. It is a inline 6 cylinder 3.5l stock turbo setup I am rebuilding the engine to ensure I can run it properly but with the tear down everything is verywell maintained so I am actually keeping the head stock and building the bottom end with je forged pistons and such which will give me a 9:1 on the head in doing that I am going to switch to head studs so I can torque the head more and in doing so will allow me to not blow so many head gaskets. I am going to run a water to air intercooler and possibly a alchol injection setup mixed with pump gas. I haven't decided what to do with the exhaust but I will figure it out (I don't want to sound like a civic) so I don't wan to go to big I was thinking of running a bypass right before the cat. O yeah and also Jon k. I am sending the money today I had a little dalay yesterday but its on its way. rymes also I need to send you extra for the harness.

Antrieb
05-02-2006, 06:12 AM
Antrieb, you know you can get 290+ at the rear wheels with the TCD M20 tubro Stage II setup. I know it won't be as fast as a 350+ hp m30 setup but it sure is a lot cheaper and less trouble in the long run. That's my plan for when I get another car to serve as a daily driver.
Thats true, and it would be hella easier than swapping in a different engine and cheaper too.

All I was really looking for anyway was 300wrhp and with the weight I'd save having the m20 instead of the m30 would get me a little closer to that mark.

jjdickm
05-02-2006, 06:33 AM
go buy a bottomend from the turbo desiel 5 series and and forged pistons and head studs and then build your own kit ditch that tcd crap it nice they have kits but you can do much better. its more money of course to build your own but the componets will be much better and you need to have a forged bottom end for longevity if you strap on a turbo to any engine it will work but eventually get worst and worst. build your own with a nice garret ball bearing turbo and your set the gt series is great for our application.

Tiger
05-02-2006, 06:55 AM
745 was not a V8... it was a turbocharged inline 6... I guess with the turbo... the displacement is 4.5L instead... something like that.

Jon K
05-02-2006, 06:57 AM
hey sorry I haven't written back i've been out of town. but to answer questions I am building my own manifold out of 2" stainless steel and I do have the original 745i manifold I will be selling after I build that. It is a inline 6 cylinder 3.5l stock turbo setup I am rebuilding the engine to ensure I can run it properly but with the tear down everything is verywell maintained so I am actually keeping the head stock and building the bottom end with je forged pistons and such which will give me a 9:1 on the head in doing that I am going to switch to head studs so I can torque the head more and in doing so will allow me to not blow so many head gaskets. I am going to run a water to air intercooler and possibly a alchol injection setup mixed with pump gas. I haven't decided what to do with the exhaust but I will figure it out (I don't want to sound like a civic) so I don't wan to go to big I was thinking of running a bypass right before the cat. O yeah and also Jon k. I am sending the money today I had a little dalay yesterday but its on its way. rymes also I need to send you extra for the harness.

JJ, the harness is ~$70

Jon K
05-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Turbo does not add displacement... its just a model #

Guys there are tons of M20 running the megasquirt ecu in full standalone. The TCD is good for the manifold but not much else - I feel that todd is taking advantage of Mark D somewhat... besides a lot of people switch to MS or another ECU and ditch the motronic all together

When tuning a car that is fed positive manifold pressure, the correct way to do it is use an ECU that knows what positive pressure is - none of the bmw Motronics can do this.

jjdickm
05-02-2006, 07:02 AM
alright so i will just add 70 on to the agreed price or isd it more because of shipping.

Jon K
05-02-2006, 07:06 AM
it should fit in the box, $70 will do

jjdickm
05-02-2006, 07:07 AM
I will send it out shortly

Antrieb
05-02-2006, 09:26 AM
The horsepower equals that of what a 4.5L would so thats why they called it the 745i.

ILoveMPower
05-02-2006, 12:38 PM

Yes but they designated it the 745 because they figured the forced induction made up approximately 1 liters worth of additional power.

MarkD
05-13-2006, 07:41 PM

When tuning a car that is fed positive manifold pressure, the correct way to do it is use an ECU that knows what positive pressure is - none of the bmw Motronics can do this.

You can use the Motronic, just nobody has done it properly.

If I had access to a turbocharged BMW I'd develop chips based on one of these options:

1) Remove the AFM and install a MAF or MAP sensor and re-tune the maps.

A MAF can be used since you don't have to know what the pressure in the manifold is, just accurately measure the air mass entering it. I've been considering using a MAP sensor recently and that can be made to work quite easily and are relatively cheap, but the MAP sensor method will be more sensitive to any mods that will affect the VQ of the motor.

MarkD