PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking sound in steering ???

Russell
03-24-2004, 08:38 PM
I have a squeaking sound in the steering column(?) on the first start on a cold day. It does sound as if it is in the interior. It usually goes away during the day. I thought it might have been the front sway bar links. Replaced but no change. Looking for help.

Thanks in advance?

KenB
03-25-2004, 06:07 AM
Mine has a very slight squeak on cold days too. It's coming from the steering wheel. I read somewhere there is a slip disc under the wheel on the steering column that needs a special lubricant. Since it involves removing the airbag assembly and all to get to it, I have decided to live with the squeak. It goes away when the weather gets warmer...or I drown it out with the CD player.

Russell
03-25-2004, 07:10 AM
I will discuss with my indy next time I am in for something. I was hoping it was something else.

Mine has a very slight squeak on cold days too. It's coming from the steering wheel. I read somewhere there is a slip disc under the wheel on the steering column that needs a special lubricant. Since it involves removing the airbag assembly and all to get to it, I have decided to live with the squeak. It goes away when the weather gets warmer...or I drown it out with the CD player.

Bill R.
03-25-2004, 10:13 AM
a conductive lubricant has gotten pushed out of the way and now you're hearing the carbon contact squeak, in which case you remove the wheel and resmear the copper paste around, there's usually plenty of it there you just have to spread it around again.. the other thing is that sometimes the black plastic on the column warps from age and heat I guess, anyway as soon as you remove the wheel you see black plastic filings or flakes, the solution here is to take a small file and file away the area where its contacting the wheel, its usually pretty obvious.

I have a squeaking sound in the steering column(?) on the first start on a cold day. It does sound as if it is in the interior. It usually goes away during the day. I thought it might have been the front sway bar links. Replaced but no change. Looking for help.

Thanks in advance?

Helm
03-25-2004, 01:30 PM

Thanks in advance?

I have had this issue for some time too! It may be related to my SRS warning light being on. Bill R. brought to my attention that the "loop contact ring" (Part No. 32341160901, for a 91 525i) assembly that provides a contact for the Air Bag sensor may have a loose wire or has become defective.
I understand it is an expensive part and not readily available in the aftermarket world. But I have to do some more homework!!
Regards,
helm

Russell
03-25-2004, 08:18 PM
a conductive lubricant has gotten pushed out of the way and now you're hearing the carbon contact squeak, in which case you remove the wheel and resmear the copper paste around, there's usually plenty of it there you just have to spread it around again.. the other thing is that sometimes the black plastic on the column warps from age and heat I guess, anyway as soon as you remove the wheel you see black plastic filings or flakes, the solution here is to take a small file and file away the area where its contacting the wheel, its usually pretty obvious.

Warren N.CA
03-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Or some say you can squirt silicone lube into the crack and maybe stop the squeek.

632 Regal
03-26-2004, 01:28 PM
nt