PDA

View Full Version : Severed radiator bleeder screw

yaofeng
04-30-2006, 03:27 AM
The 525 over heated. I opened the hood. Coolant is leaking from the vent screw. The screw head is gone. The shank is left in the hole. Can I get a replacement bleeder screw?

joshua43214
04-30-2006, 03:45 AM
yes, you can.

use a smaller screw driver, it only needs to be just snuged in a bit since it seals with an o-ring and not a gasket. Very common to see these overtightened.

You can get the old piece out with a small screwdriver pushed into the groove in the threads.

632 Regal
04-30-2006, 07:13 AM
heat the screwdriver and make a slot first.

yaofeng
05-01-2006, 03:46 AM
I drilled two tiny holes so my needle nose pliers can grab on to the plastic shank and removed it. The new plug will take a few days to come. Is there an o-ring in there? I didn't see one. After topping up coolant, I drove around. But the shank doesn't seal well. Steam is coming out of the hole when the system gets hot and becomes pressurized.

Dave M
05-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Are you driving it with just the threaded portion in the hole? There IS an O-ring and if its missing, you won't get a seal.

I have made bleed screw in the past with a fine pitch metric bolt. ake a dremmel or hacksaw and create the angled slot in the bolt as per the stck plastic bit. Use an O-ring and you're off to the races. Just don'tovertighten or you're looking at a new expanson tank :(

Good luck and no more overheating,

Dave M

yaofeng
05-01-2006, 05:11 AM
Yes I was, or rather my son was, driving with the shank in the hole. I figured I had two tiny holes on the shank I can remove and install it so it will tide me over until the vent screw on order comes in the mail. I need to find an appropriately sized o-ring to put in there to seal.

joshua43214
05-01-2006, 06:03 AM
The o-ring goes under the screw cap, since the cap is broken off, you can't install the o-ring. the new part will come with a new o-ring.

Park the car unless you enjoy removeing cylinder heads, its not safe to drive. or follow the above instructions on making a new bolt to hold you over. remember, only tighten it enough to compress the o-ring a little bit, if you crush the o-ring, it will split and get spit out. The new part can be tightened with thumb and 2 fingers on the tip of the screwdriver handle, any tighter and its too tight.

yaofeng
05-01-2006, 07:26 AM
The shank is slotted for venting, obviously. But I think the bottom of the shank maybe big enough to fit a small o-ring to go over the hole on top of the expansion tank to seal, maybe not. I'll give it try before the new screw comes in the mail.

yaofeng
05-02-2006, 01:20 AM
I tried removing the bleeder screw shank again. Guess I tightened it too much it wouldn't come out with my needle nose pliers. I have to find some other way to get the shank out.

My question now is I will be travelling out of town this weekend. I'd like to get it fixed before I leave. I am concerned the parts on order may not come in time. I don't want to leave the car in the driveway immobilsed no one can drive it during this period. Is the dealer the only option for this tiny parts for immediate purchase?