PDA

View Full Version : Fake E-Bay Warning! Just an FYI folks.....

Brian C.
03-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone.....I received an e-mail today at the address that I use for my E-Bay dealings. It had as a return address, "suspension@ebay.com", and the subject line was my address and a Suspension of Account Notice. It puzzled me a bit since I've got a perfect feedback rating and such but I hit the link that was enclosed in the body of the message. It took me to a login page where I tried to login. That took me to another login page that took me to a page that asked me to re-enter all sorts of personal information. Name, address, E-Bay account # and pin, bank and credit card account #'s and pin's, PayPal account # and pin, SSN(!)........at this point I started to smell a rat. I forwarded the entire e-mail to spoof@ebay.com and just received a reply telling me that the entire e-mail is bogus and didn't come from E-Bay at all. SO BEWARE!!! I'm only telling you all what has happened to me so far, but I feel that the info that I received back from E-Bay is legit and the original e-mail is a scam. I haven't checked any news websites about this yet, but a co-worker said she heard that this has just started today.

So, as we in the Cop business say......B.O.L.O!...Be On the Look Out!

Brian C.

Brian C.
03-24-2004, 06:13 PM
....all the bogus E-Bay pages all looked VERY official, with logos and the correct links and all, so be careful.

Brian C.

AZ_Jason_S
03-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Yeah I got a similar email once about ebay account verification. It looked real official, and asked for ssn, credit card, all kinds of stuff.

Tiger
03-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Since you entered your password... you better change it again.

Brian C.
03-24-2004, 06:38 PM
...in fact that's the first way that I realized that it was bogus. After I had already logged in with my correct password and checked a bit, I went back and logged in with my real username, but just a made up password and it logged me in anyway.
Thanks though...

Brian C.

Bill R.
03-24-2004, 06:55 PM
the ebay heading and at least one a week with the paypal, similar warning wanting you to log into your paypal account.. I also get at least one virus a day now... All started about 3 or 4 weeks ago.. I can alway tell when i get one because the user name spelling isn't correct.

Hi everyone.....I received an e-mail today at the address that I use for my E-Bay dealings. It had as a return address, "suspension@ebay.com", and the subject line was my address and a Suspension of Account Notice. It puzzled me a bit since I've got a perfect feedback rating and such but I hit the link that was enclosed in the body of the message. It took me to a login page where I tried to login. That took me to another login page that took me to a page that asked me to re-enter all sorts of personal information. Name, address, E-Bay account # and pin, bank and credit card account #'s and pin's, PayPal account # and pin, SSN(!)........at this point I started to smell a rat. I forwarded the entire e-mail to spoof@ebay.com and just received a reply telling me that the entire e-mail is bogus and didn't come from E-Bay at all. SO BEWARE!!! I'm only telling you all what has happened to me so far, but I feel that the info that I received back from E-Bay is legit and the original e-mail is a scam. I haven't checked any news websites about this yet, but a co-worker said she heard that this has just started today.

So, as we in the Cop business say......B.O.L.O!...Be On the Look Out!

Brian C.