PDA

View Full Version : AC Issue Maybe

snavemit
04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
Here is my issue, AC will blow cold then there is a cycle of not so cold air, then the cold air comes back, then not so cold. Not uncomfortable now, but my concern is that come summer the AC will struggle. By the way today was about 74 and I had it set to 68 in the car.

Is the compressor going? Or Do I just need a recharge?

Also anyone have experience with R12a as a replacement for R12?

Thanks

Tim

Paul in NZ
04-28-2006, 06:28 PM
depending on the temperature the a/c does cycle.......it isnt on all the time afaik

///Mink
04-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Air conditioning cycling off and on is totally normal. As a matter of fact, it's a good thing - you should be concerned about your charge level, compressor, etc if it didn't cycle off and on in relatively cool weather.

joshua43214
04-28-2006, 07:48 PM
get it charged, this is normal behavior for an undercharged system

Alexlind123
04-28-2006, 09:03 PM
My original r12 spouts copious amounts of ice cold air (i would be surprised to see icicles haning from the vents) with no real indication of cycling, other than a *swihsshhss* sound everyone once in awhile. I dunno whats up with that.

bbig119
05-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar issue. Over the weekend in the 80-90 degree heat, I noticed the car would get nice and cool if I had the blower on the highest setting. However at anything lower, especially setting 2, I noticed a cycle of cold air followed by either no air out of the blower or if it was blowing it wasn't noticeable by force or temperature.

I tried to determine if the cold air was cyclic in temperature at the highest blower setting. It might have been, but not very apparent. My question is, do I have a problem with the blower or the AC or both.

Qube
05-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Mine just blows barely cool air :) We're going to see these questions start pouring out. I'll have to check the charge before the drive to the meet...

genphreak
05-31-2006, 07:47 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar issue. Over the weekend in the 80-90 degree heat, I noticed the car would get nice and cool if I had the blower on the highest setting. However at anything lower, especially setting 2, I noticed a cycle of cold air followed by either no air out of the blower or if it was blowing it wasn't noticeable by force or temperature.

I tried to determine if the cold air was cyclic in temperature at the highest blower setting. It might have been, but not very apparent. My question is, do I have a problem with the blower or the AC or both.Check your thermo cooling fan works on both high and low settings, and that its radiator mounted thermatic switch is working okay. If the fast speed was dead this will cause erratic operation of the AC. Hint: If driving at speed the AC works, check the fan, it is of less importance at speed.