PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak on the M50 12 qts/1000 miles

fujioko
04-28-2006, 03:38 PM
After 1000 + miles on the new/used M50 engine I have gone through 12 qt of oil. Yeah, I could have checked for the leak a long time ago… but I’m lazy.:D

Anyway today I spent some time investigating the leak and determined that the leak is coming from the aluminum oil filter bracket where it mounts to the cast iron engine block.

I pulled the assembly off my dead M50 engine to see what is involved in replacing the gasket. Looks like the gasket is actually a rubber thingy that fits into the grove on the aluminum oil filter bracket. I would imagine that this type of gasket shouldn’t ever go bad.

Has anyone else had an oil leak in this area? I suspect that something made this gasket go bad, unless it is a common problem.

Rigmaster
04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Can you say Exxon Valdez!!! Damn dude- you're polluting enough for everyone on the board!!!!!

Can't comment specifically on the seal, but it sounds like a typical BMW o-ring or rubber gasket- they can (and do) fail just like a paper, cork or rubber gasket. Shouldn't be too hard to fix with a new seal.

Bret.

fujioko
04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
My other toy car is a Triumph Spitfire.. ‘ya want to talk about an oil leak… Damn thing should be called a Spit-Oil.

In case some of you don’t know what a Spitfire is… Its an English car.. nuff said.

Paul in NZ
04-28-2006, 03:52 PM
sounds like a total loss oil sysem ,never needs changing....

632 Regal
04-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Like bret said, replace the rubber gasket, they harden over the years and when they should expand they tend to...well.. harden and sit there.

ryan roopnarine
04-28-2006, 06:20 PM
bill bass and another gentleman put some helpful pics into this thread
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17391&highlight=m50+oil+filter

fujioko
04-29-2006, 02:20 AM
Evidently this BMW and others are very predictable. I only need to access the forum and I’ll see someone posting the same problem that I have. The help is invaluable for new enthusiasts.

I have had many minor issues crop up during the first 1000 miles and posted some of them. The help I received was almost immediate on all occasions.

Thanks everyone!. Perhaps someday I’ll be able to post an answer to help someone in distress.

fujioko
05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
The Exxon Valdez type oil leak on my M50 was corrected today. The $9.00 gasket took less than an hour to install. The old gasket had hardened and was no longer able to make the seal. I'm sure most of 'ya don't care.. I just thought I would update the thread.