PDA

View Full Version : Don't think my heater is working?

Rob
04-28-2006, 02:25 AM
Howzit Guys,

I don't think my heater is working too well. Last night I had it on, and it blew hot air like it should. This was for a few minutes while going to pick my sister up from work. Then it went cool and only luke warm-ish air came out. Any idea what this could be? My blower only works on the 4th setting, I know this is the 'sword' issue I prsume. Just it's hard to find a replacment here.

Anyone know how to fix the heating issue though?

Many thanks!

winfred
04-28-2006, 03:59 AM
the electric pump under the heater valves may be dead, easy to test with a couple wires

Rob
04-28-2006, 04:07 AM
Thanks, Winfred.

Any idea on where it is and how to test it?

Many thanks. :)

winfred
04-28-2006, 06:18 AM
it's mounted under the heater valves and has a 2 wire plug, hook it to the battery and it should run, not positive if it's in the same place on your car but on usa cars it's right next to the fuse box, the heater valves have a 3 wire plug for the left and right sides of the car and usually fail in the full heat position

genphreak
04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
it's mounted under the heater valves and has a 2 wire plug, hook it to the battery and it should run, not positive if it's in the same place on your car but on usa cars it's right next to the fuse box, the heater valves have a 3 wire plug for the left and right sides of the car and usually fail in the full heat positionIf your car did not have separate passenger and driver heat controls it could be a valve actually is stuck.

They are very unlikely to both stick at the same time...

Paul in NZ
04-28-2006, 03:27 PM
in a rhd dr car the pump is in the same place,directly under the valves,which are under a plastic cover next to the fuse box

Rob
04-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Well I took a look there and it seems to be working now. :)

Rob
04-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Okay, now it's not working. Seems to only work when it feels like it. Is this a case of it being the heart is getting stuck or what? :(
Also I can't seem to get the A/C working. I might be doing something wrong. I press the A/C button in and turn fan on which only works on the 4th setting due to the sword being broken i think and i get warmish air though. How can i tell is a/c is actually turning on or off?

genphreak
05-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Okay, now it's not working. Seems to only work when it feels like it. Is this a case of it being the heart is getting stuck or what? :(
Also I can't seem to get the A/C working. I might be doing something wrong. I press the A/C button in and turn fan on which only works on the 4th setting due to the sword being broken i think and i get warmish air though. How can i tell is a/c is actually turning on or off?Pull the sword and try the re-soldering trick that many people have posted about... pending your best inspection of the transistors/circuit board first.

Rob
05-01-2006, 12:28 AM
What's the re soldering trick you're talkingh about? first I've heard of it?

Thanks a lot for the help!

genphreak
05-01-2006, 12:48 AM
What's the re soldering trick you're talkingh about? first I've heard of it? Thanks a lot for the help!You need to use the Search function Rob. You can find links to threads like this one... (beware tho, www.bimmerboard.com is down at present) http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17134&highlight=sword+repair

Cheers, Nick

Rob
05-01-2006, 01:06 AM
I did try searching. Obviously didn't do a good job of it. Thanks a lot bru.

danzee
05-01-2006, 08:02 AM
You should be able to hear/see compressor clutch under the hood engage when you turn on the A/C. If not, it can be a sign that the pressure switch is preventing it due to low A/C coolant (leak), a bad pressure switch, or a bad contol. As I recall, the A/C is inhibited if the fan is off too.
If you want to see if the clutch itself is OK, it's smarter to measure the voltage to it at the connector rather than forcing on the clutch with 12V.
Both work, but the latter can be harmful if the coolant is indeed low.
Z