PDA

View Full Version : KYBs - whats the real story

derick
04-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Well i did a bunch of searching all over diffrent BMW threads and it seems to be inconclusive. Some people bought them and say great value for the dollar. Some people seem to hate them but don't ever say anything about using the product (only - THEY SUCK). I wanted to hear from people that have bought them, used them, had friends that use/d them.

perhaps some more objective oppions. Maybe even a better descriptive comparision between the diffrent shock companies, like which company did you compare it too. Or is your car lowered. do you live on a smooth frozen lake or do your roads look like bagdad's.

thanks guys.

ArtemLepilov
04-27-2006, 03:53 PM
I bought KYBs for my front, they last pretty well so far (~7k miles) and I dont know what to compare them to, but they are a hell of a lot better than riding without shock on the front... haha

-Artem

ThoreauHD
04-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I have KYB's on my front at the moment. On my previous car I had them on all 4 wheels. Well, with KYB's you have to give it about 3 months or so to break in. They are pretty tight at first. They loosen up over time.

The quality in regards to leaking or bleeding is very good. They don't break or fail. Overall it's a pretty decent shock. I know it's better than monroe, but I can't compare it to sachs or bilstein just yet because I've not installed them.

My car is stock, not lowered. I am installing sachs shocks though because it's the most comfortable shock. If I were to go racing or had lots of money/time I'd install bilstein shocks... maybe.

Bill R.
04-27-2006, 04:02 PM
1974 and have installed hundreds of pairs if not thousands of pairs of kyb's since then. I have had virtually no complaints regarding them and i can not say the same thing about bilsteins. As far as bang for the buck i feel they are unbeatable. Then only shock that i think is better is Koni and its very hard to justify the price of the koni's in my mind . I also like the Boge/sachs turbo gas shocks about on an equal par with the kyb. They are the single largest supplier of shocks and struts to new car manufacturers of anybody. Period.

Well i did a bunch of searching all over diffrent BMW threads and it seems to be inconclusive. Some people bought them and say great value for the dollar. Some people seem to hate them but don't ever say anything about using the product (only - THEY SUCK). I wanted to hear from people that have bought them, used them, had friends that use/d them.

perhaps some more objective oppions. Maybe even a better descriptive comparision between the diffrent shock companies, like which company did you compare it too. Or is your car lowered. do you live on a smooth frozen lake or do your roads look like bagdad's.

thanks guys.

jjdickm
04-27-2006, 07:11 PM
I have kybs on 1990 525 and the feel very nice the are a little sportier than stock but not too sporty. I have also had driven a e34 with konis and those are some great shocks fully adjustable very nice.

Montreal525
04-28-2006, 05:01 AM
I've been looking at the KYB application guide and there are none for anything above 9/92. My 525 has a build date of 10/95. Anybody know otherwise?

http://www.kyb.com/catalog/index.php?Action=Submit&MakeID=BMW&ModelID=59&x=40&y=9

Jeff

Bill R.
04-28-2006, 05:19 AM
other kayaba sites you'll see them such as the uk site. Here's a pdf catalog that lists them
(http://www.kayabaeurope.com/cgi-bin/kyb/kybdata.pl?next=catalogtop)

I've been looking at the KYB application guide and there are none for anything above 9/92. My 525 has a build date of 10/95. Anybody know otherwise?

http://www.kyb.com/catalog/index.php?Action=Submit&MakeID=BMW&ModelID=59&x=40&y=9

Jeff

derick
04-28-2006, 07:31 AM
so where is all this negitive feedback about KYBs coming from. It seems that everyone who has replied so far is happy with their shocks. Where are all the people that have such negitive oppions?

You'd be hard pressed to find any good reviews about them on this board.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-28-2006, 07:45 AM
so where is all this negitive feedback about KYBs coming from. It seems that everyone who has replied so far is happy with their shocks. Where are all the people that have such negitive oppions?

You'd be hard pressed to find any good reviews about them on this board.

Had a set on a '76 2002. The fronts were fine, rears rusted out at the bottom (!) where the bulgy part was. Despite the rusted out bulge, they still worked OK. Changed to Bilsteins...

derick
04-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Had a set on a '76 2002. The fronts were fine, rears rusted out at the bottom (!) where the bulgy part was. Despite the rusted out bulge, they still worked OK. Changed to Bilsteins...

and how did you find the diffrence between blistens and KYB. KYBs are 400 here and blisteins are 1200. would you say that there was a 800 dollar diffrence in qualitity.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-28-2006, 09:47 AM
and how did you find the diffrence between blistens and KYB. KYBs are 400 here and blisteins are 1200. would you say that there was a 800 dollar diffrence in qualitity.

The Bilsteins were firmer but more supple if that makes any sense. Memory faded - was many years ago.

derick
04-28-2006, 09:58 AM
yeah definitely, your saying that it soaked up the bumbs better but still were firmer for hard cornering.

I think i might go with the KYBs. the roads here are very well matianed and pot holes are few and far between. I hope my kidneys will forgive me :P.

ThoreauHD
04-28-2006, 11:43 AM

Jeff

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1012059&parttype=7556&partGroup=27&EPImodelID=1528&EPIengineID=2800
KYB Part # 341081
GR-2; REAR; (Exc.Self-Leveling & M-Tronic);To 9/92; (E34); (Exc. M-Technik Susp.) {SHOCK ABSORBER} More Info
$62.99

5% off coupon code: 402749374898

ajt3nc
04-28-2006, 05:09 PM
I have a set on all 4 corners and have 20k over rural NC/SC roads. They have held up great. A lot of ricers do run down KYBs because they drop their cars and use a stock heighth insert or shock causing the seals to blow and they leak.

Karl
04-28-2006, 06:48 PM
There's different model KYB shocks. I got KYB Gas Adjust shocks for my 81 528i and used it for autocross as well as daily driver and a few driver schools. Liked them well enough to get another set for a 320i when it was due for shocks. They're firm, but not too harsh for daily use. Then I bought KYB shocks for the El Camino, and the shop gave me KYB GR2 shocks--the El Camino definitely feels underdamped with the GR2, probably close to stock Chevy. I'll be more picky next time.

Jon K
04-28-2006, 09:09 PM
i just put KYB shocks on Saj3ns car, he likes them so far.

derick
04-29-2006, 08:18 AM
i just put KYB shocks on Saj3ns car, he likes them so far.

so what type of car does Saj3ns have john?h

Jon K
04-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Its an E34 530i

wingman
07-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Any new shock will feel better than the worn out ones that are being replaced. Has anyone done any long term study on these things? I ran Bilsteins for well over 100,000kms and found them fantastic. Then again Monroes, Sachs or KYB might have been good too!?!?!

s_ribbens
07-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I have experience with KYB's on two cars, but not a comparison between KYB and anything but stock on each of those cars. 1970 2002 with H&R Sports and KYB's and a 1997 Lexus LS400 with KYB AGX and H&R Sports. In each case I would describe the KYB's as overly harsh for the level of compression and rebound they have.

The issue with KYB's is that they set up rebound and compression at the same force. That isn't how it should properly be done.

In both of the cars I mentioned, I can compare them to the Tein Basic coilovers on my M3. Sure, they are entirely different cars. But... the suspension on my M3 is significantly firmer than either of those cars with KYB's yet it is more compliant than either of them.

I just picked up Bilstein Sports for my 535i (arrived yesterday) for what it's worth. I will get some Eibach or H&R's springs before I install them later this week. Do I expect the car to be as smooth and comfortable as it would be with a fresh stock set up? Nope. But, it should be decently compliant. Roads are not great around here but I'm not concerned about it even with the 18" wheels on the car.

KYB isn't bad, but Bilstein and Koni are better.

HDhandyman
07-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Why don't you just go with Sachs? Bavauto is the largest distributor of Sachs, and they seem to get better feedback about them then any other brand that they sell. I have the newly designed ones (on for about 3 months or something) and I'm crazy about them. Not that they are better than KYBs or anything, but the suspension package includes springs for about the same price and Sachs are the only shocks designed for the springs included in the package. They are road and track tested for added performace and a little more softness than the other guys. Bills and Konis are great too, but they are more expensive and are not specialy designed to work with H&R springs or whatever. JMHO:)

saj3n
07-09-2006, 10:51 AM
...Roads are not great around here but I'm not concerned about it even with the 18" wheels on the car.

I have been running with KYB's for about 3 months now. Much better ride than what I had (no shocks :-P) however, I do remember when I first picked up the car, the ride was a bit smoother, and not as harsh. But then again, it was on stock 15's, and regular springs. Now with 18's, Eibach's, I feel a bit more of the road, but in regards to handling gain vs comfort, I'd give 50% more comfort away for the handling received. The roads here in Philly are TERRIBLE! I must say out of all confidence, the WORST in the road. They have huge sink holes, were walking, one may shorten themselves by 2 feet if they stepped in one. I've, unfortunately, ran into a few of these, not so deep, but came out fine. Hit the hole, kept rolling. I believe that they are definitely worth the money.

shuriken
07-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Which ever way way you go, try sports dampers with standard springs. The dampers will give a slower return(rebound) rate ( slightly more controled feel) but the springs will give the same smoothness. Boge, Sachs Bils all do them for the E34 and E28's. Euro Car Parts and German and Swedish do them here in the UK. They export too.

Robert K
07-09-2006, 08:33 PM
About 3-1/2 years and 30,000 miles ago, I put M-Technic springs and standard Boge gas struts on my 1991 535i. I've been very pleased with them. I also run 17" style 5 wheels with Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z's. Overall, the ride is firm, but not punishing. I think a lot of it depends on what size wheels/tires you run. The larger diameter wheels you run, the softer you might want to go on your struts.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

fkong777
07-09-2006, 09:25 PM
from the KYB website KYB's only comes in GR-2 type inserts and struts. I thought GR-2 are stock like calibrations. Yet www.bmwe34.net stated that the KYB's are stiffer than the springs..

Anyone have a comment on Bilstein TC or aka Bilstein Econo Touring Class struts?

SC David
07-10-2006, 02:07 AM
This thread is making me want to go with the KYB's with my H&R's, instead of the Bilstein Sports I had planned on buying. The Koni's are just too expensive for me to justify.

wingman
07-10-2006, 05:09 AM
I contacted BMA and was told that Bilstein Sports are best for lowered springs whereas touring (TC) are for standard springs. I'm going for a 'factory' ride and don't intend buying sports springs so I'm looking at TC.

R1daveg
07-10-2006, 07:17 AM
I have KYB in my Liberty(Legacy) RX wagon. Sorry to say but on Great Ocean road it will easily outrun my 525. In fact i tailed (not too close) a GSXR600 enough that he pulled over..

I have Bilstein TC with King lows in the 5. I find they are about 10mm too low in the front for me. It does look good tho! The ride is very good with 17's, but is a little too fast on rebound over bumpy ground. I dont have a lot of road like that, so im happy to have the car drive nice for the 99%.

pundit
07-10-2006, 07:24 AM
This thread is making me want to go with the KYB's with my H&R's, instead of the Bilstein Sports I had planned on buying. The Koni's are just too expensive for me to justify.
How much were you quoted for Koni's in the US?
Here in Oz I got mine for around $1,000.00 AUD ($750.00 USD) for a set of Koni Sports plus another $400.00 AUD ($300.00 USD) for a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs.
I was originally going to bring the Koni's in from the US but by the time I paid freight (and possibly import tax) I would have been worse off!

SC David
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
How much were you quoted for Koni's in the US?
Here in Oz I got mine for around $1,000.00 AUD ($750.00 USD) for a set of Koni Sports plus another $400.00 AUD ($300.00 USD) for a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs.
I was originally going to bring the Koni's in from the US but by the time I paid freight (and possibly import tax) I would have been worse off!
$655.20 shipped, on shox.com. So not too much different from what you paid. I'd love to have them for the adjustability, but I'm impatient and don't want to save up extra to have this car lowered. Bilsteins or KYBs...........I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.