PDA

View Full Version : OT-What's wrong with this car

eggdog23
04-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Saw this on ebay--I've been thinking about getting an E28

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Needs-some-work-see-description-come-see-it-in-person_W0QQitemZ4633870964QQcategoryZ6008QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Bodywork aside, any guesses on what is wrong and the cost to repair? I also like how they drive it on the highway, even though the back tire looks flat--but still "speedy"!

McWatters
04-27-2006, 02:30 PM
lol wow those seats are in amazing condition.
i really dislike that body style tho ionno.

cheers

J.McWatters

ThoreauHD
04-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Yea, I noticed the seats too. They look brand new. The rest though.. ouch. Looks like a frat guys ride for 7 years. Unless you have 5K and lots of love to drop into it, it may not be worth it. Those seats have to be new... it's almost bizarre looking.

joshua43214
04-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Needs radiator hoses, bet the radiator is ready to go as well. Coolant apears low, but that could be lighting. the lower dash has been riped out and not put back in properly. the upholstery over the tunnel is water damaged, possible heater core. the rear got banged hard enough that I bet you can't just pop a new lense assembly in. steering wheel is shreded.

and of course the trick question, why no reverse gear on a manual transmission? not too many options there.

seats look awsome, I always loved the down tilting grill on older BMW's.

aside from the trans question, could be turned into a nice first car for your kid cheap enough.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Needs radiator hoses, bet the radiator is ready to go as well. Coolant apears low, but that could be lighting. the lower dash has been riped out and not put back in properly. the upholstery over the tunnel is water damaged, possible heater core. the rear got banged hard enough that I bet you can't just pop a new lense assembly in. steering wheel is shreded.

and of course the trick question, why no reverse gear on a manual transmission? not too many options there.

seats look awsome, I always loved the down tilting grill on older BMW's.

aside from the trans question, could be turned into a nice first car for your kid cheap enough.

Could be so much slop in the shifter linkage that the shift lever hits the side of the transmission tunnel before it can get into the reverse gate. Seen it before. Bad trans mounts and/or console bushings can aggravate.

Once the shift bushes get really worn, gear changing is not unlike stirring a bucket of golf balls with a broom handle.

wingman
04-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Power seats! Probably worth more than the car if they work?!?! If they don't forget it. Aren't those wheels of the E30? The OZ E28 535i got the Metric nightmares with extended wheel arches. Make sure those wheels work properly. They're a different offset aren't they?