PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake problems

SRR2
04-27-2006, 04:58 AM
There are a few known problems with the 325iX, one of which is the parking brakes. They've never been serviced properly and now fail to retract as they should. The consequence is that they won't hold properly and they've worn a deep groove into the hub. So deep that I can't get the rotors off. I have new rotors and brake shoes on order, but it looks like getting the old ones off is going to be difficult. Last time I tried, just to have a look at them, they wouldn't come off.

How do you get those shoes to retract when they're hanging up? Or is there some other trick to get the rotor off when the shoes are sticking up into a groove?

JonE
05-03-2006, 07:26 AM
My '89 325iC has a "star" wheel that you needed to turn with a screwdriver one way or the other to "loosen" those small parking brake shoes. Perhaps the wheel just needs to be lubricated. I'd be inclined to spray some kind of lubricant in that hole through the rotor in order to see if you can free the star adjuster up. As long as you're not trying to save any of the old shoes, etc. might as well spray away and see if it loosens. The parking brake cable could also be binding, spray that as well.
Good luck!

SRR2
05-03-2006, 11:02 AM
The problem is that the shoes are hanging up. I haven't tried cranking the star wheel because I wasn't in a position (with new parts) to follow through, and I dind't want to risk pushing the shoes out farther and not have them retract. The new parts are on the way, so maybe a shot of WD40 would free things up enough to clear the ridge on the drum. I think the cables are free, it's the shoes themselves that don't retract properly.

The lesson here for others is that the parking brake requires periodic service whenever the rotors are replaced. Like cleaning and some lube on the sliding parts. The problem I'm having is because no one who's serviced these brakes (and this is the main reason I'm going to DIY from now on) bothered to do a complete job. They just slapped the new rotors and pads on and that was that.

Thanks for the reply.

joshua43214
05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Checking the e-brake adjustment is part of the service. Since you will be handling this from now on, this should be a one time problem. Not useing the e-brakes causes them to slowly fall appart. the friction material will fall off and drag causeing deep scoring of the rotor. The shoes and hardware are cheap. I ordered a set with my new rear pads and rotors because I assume that with nearly 200k on them, they need replaced.

If it is all stuck together, and you cant get the rotor off, turn the rotor so you can see the hold downs, insert a 5mm(i think) allen wrench into it and push it in and turn it 90 degrees. then you can remove the rotor and shoes all in one package and jimmy them out while it is stil attached to the cable. You will have to kind of rip the rotor off to get the shoes to come out of their slots.

Plan on the hardware breaking in the process. A good local import parts dealer should be able to get them the same day. Free up the adjuster and antiseize the moving parts. Install the e-brake shoes like any other drum brake. Loosen the cable, and adjust the e-brake shoes, then the cable.

SRR2
05-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. I've done drum brake jobs before, (yes, it was a long time ago) so I know the basic drum brake drill. Your description of taking the whole assembly off may well come in handy if things go badly. I can see a bit of the interior through the lug holes, and it doesn't look too good in there, dirty and rusty. I'm still hoping that once I have the new parts ready to go, I can use some WD40 or PBBlaster to free things up.

FWinNH
06-07-2006, 06:56 AM
There are a few known problems with the 325iX, one of which is the parking brakes. They've never been serviced properly and now fail to retract as they should. The consequence is that they won't hold properly and they've worn a deep groove into the hub. So deep that I can't get the rotors off. I have new rotors and brake shoes on order, but it looks like getting the old ones off is going to be difficult. Last time I tried, just to have a look at them, they wouldn't come off.

How do you get those shoes to retract when they're hanging up? Or is there some other trick to get the rotor off when the shoes are sticking up into a groove?

The only real "trick" is that the star wheel for the p-brake has to be accessed through one of the road wheel bolt-holes. Just remove one of the bolts and shine a small flash through the hole as you rotate the wheel. You;ll find the adjuster in the 1 o'clock position on the left rear wheel and the 11 oclock on the right side.