PDA

View Full Version : BMWalarm.com/BMWsecuritysystems.com

VentoGT
04-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Hello all--

I have read just about everything about keyless entry here and I still haven't seen a consensus on whether these systems are good or not...I have seen one or 2 posters that didn't get it to work, and a few that say it is great...Any feedback out there?

Also, I am kind of confused as well since I have a 1991 M5 [build date 04/91] that has the logo in the trunk for "prewired for BMW Alarm". Most of what I have read says that the 1992s were the first ones prewired, but since I have a late 1991, it looks like my car my be like a 92.

Anyway, I only have one key to the car, and no remotes, so if I can get the switchblade keys to work and the system really is plug and play, I would be thrilled to buy it.

Any opinions, comments, etc are more than welcomed in this matter.

Thanks!

BlackOnBlack
04-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Check under the rear seat for the pre-wired box. I didn't get the remotes when I got my 05/92 525 in Feb '05. I knew I had the pre-wired box under the seat so I went to keylessride.com and found a remote. Got the remote, chip and instructions and now I have remote !!!

VentoGT
04-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Thanks Steve--I am waiting for my car to get back from the paint shop as we speak so I can't take a look yet. I will take a look at that keylessride.com option as well. Any other comments on the other systems out there [specifically the bmwalarm.com option--I really like the idea of having a switchblade with all of the remote buttons already on it]

VentoGT
04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
So I guess no one has these systems in their e34?

nhoj007
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Hello all--

I have read just about everything about keyless entry here and I still haven't seen a consensus on whether these systems are good or not...I have seen one or 2 posters that didn't get it to work, and a few that say it is great...Any feedback out there?

Also, I am kind of confused as well since I have a 1991 M5 [build date 04/91] that has the logo in the trunk for "prewired for BMW Alarm". Most of what I have read says that the 1992s were the first ones prewired, but since I have a late 1991, it looks like my car my be like a 92.

Anyway, I only have one key to the car, and no remotes, so if I can get the switchblade keys to work and the system really is plug and play, I would be thrilled to buy it.

Any opinions, comments, etc are more than welcomed in this matter.

Thanks!
I have a 1994 540i and replace the factory unit when it failed with one of the BMWSecuritysystems.com units for my year BMW and works great. Instructions were very easy to follow and only took a few minutes to install. If your vehicle is prewired the connector will be next to the battery under the rear passenger side. Just follow the pinouts on the installation instructions. Finding someone to cut the switchblade key was difficult at least around where I live but if you email them at BMWSecuritySystems.com they will make you a fob instead of the switchblade key remote.
Good luck.

Tiger
04-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Which kit did you buy? How much did you pay for it? How is the remote control range? Any trouble locking and unlocking car? Original BMW remote sucks... at some places with strong interference... you can't even unlock the car... New or old remotes made no difference...

This alarm kit has all the modern features that I'd want. The price is very fair as it is fully compatible and plug-n-play setup.

ra_pro
04-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Make sure you buy it through eBay so that if it doesn't work you have a chance of getting your money back. I bought it off their website, it doesn't work in my car and the a**holes now don't bother to answer the emails. All in all I would have been better off going to the stealer and buying their overpriced remote.

Tiger
04-29-2006, 04:33 AM
If you paid via credit card, why didn't your CC company reverse the charge?

ra_pro
04-29-2006, 08:54 AM
I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying that since I bought a product that didn't work I should ask the credit card company to reverse the charges? Is that possible?

Tiger
04-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Yep... that is what I am saying... because you have hard time dealing with the seller... you are entitled for refund... chargeback. Most credit card also double the warranty too...

VentoGT
04-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Bump

Jay 535i
04-30-2006, 09:56 AM
I bought one of those systems and it arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. After I install it I'll post a short report detailing how it went and how it works. Sit tight. :)

AllGo'n'Show
04-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Also looking at getting one for my old 7, switchblade style.

One thing I am wondering is if someone lost my FOB's. I got the flashing light in my vent by the window and also right beisde the sun roof got some sort of IR reciever/sender I believe is what it is, wondering if I can jsut order a replacement Switchblade unit and set it to my current alarm? Or is that IR thingy something else?

VentoGT
04-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks Jay--looking forward to your experience with the install--is your car prewired for BMW alarm or no? I have read that the company makes 2 different alarms depending on if the car is prewired or not.

Jon K
04-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Can someone take a photo of what we should look for under the seat to determine if we can use this kit or not?

VentoGT
04-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Jon--I miss your old signature pic of the guy with the Mullet and the ad asking about time travel.

Jay 535i
05-01-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks Jay--looking forward to your experience with the install--is your car prewired for BMW alarm or no? I have read that the company makes 2 different alarms depending on if the car is prewired or not.

My car is not pre-wired, and I bought the appropriate kit for my car. They do make another kit for pre-wired cars.