PDA

View Full Version : transmission issues

Incantation
04-26-2006, 10:56 AM
so i had my tranny rebuilt last year (1990 auto).. the gears were fine.. i inspected them myself, but the clutch pack and the torque converter needed replacing..

2 months later my car is pissing tranny oil because of a broken seal (either they used the same old one or pinched the new one.. who knows) had it towed.. fixed for free

however, off idle, when i get on the gas.. there is a little bit of a shudder.. especially if the car has been sitting in one spot for 2-3 mins. it's as though something is slipping inside and catching.. maybe slippiny briefly for an instant and then catching.. one guy at the shop tried to tell me it was a driveshaft issue so i figured i would just drive it a bit until it got worse (back then it only happened once in a blue moon)

so over the last week something is slipping inside.. the shudder happens more often, it feels like the car is pulling/engaging in higher rpm, and i also could not get into 2nd gear at one point.. although in manual mode i could shift up to third.. i pulled over, sat a bit, restarted the car and i was able to get into second but after a bit i lost 2nd again

so i'll be taking it in monday.. until then it sits.

anyone have a clue as to what might be goin on in there?

dacoyote
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Call Kirk..... :-)

JD525IA
04-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Before the tranny overhaul, I felt nothing coming from under my ass but the road vibrations. After the overhaul, from a dead stop up to about 25 mph, I feel something vibrating or feeling rough. It's almost audible.

I told my mech and he said its probably a drivetrain issue. WTF?

Maybe a rebuilt tranny is so smooth that you feel other, previously unnoticed, vibrations.

Incantation
04-26-2006, 12:49 PM
who is kirk?

Incantation
04-26-2006, 12:50 PM
nah.. cuz i'm missing second. i wish it were that.. they fuked up the work once i don't really have confidence that they will do it right the second time, really

and this is supposed to be the best auto tranny shop in my city too.. wtf

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Kurt Kohller the ZF transmission guy can be reached @
(800)624-3876 ext 5735
or direct at (616)748-5735

James Tibirius Kirk can be reached @
The starship Enterprise via communicator or wait for a trekkie convention

Incantation
04-26-2006, 01:37 PM
lol thanks man.. much appreciated

632 Regal
04-26-2006, 01:45 PM
loss of oil pressure, led to further clutch pack wear and slippage, they will just have to pay for more parts instead of fixing it when you were in there.

Incantation
04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
does it make sense that i would lose 2nd gear tho? and i drove it today around the block.. 2nd was back..

wtf

632 Regal
04-26-2006, 03:38 PM
tons of **** in the pan clogging the filter maybe. motre you drive the more its fukt