PDA

View Full Version : OT, rather than use the 55 million to lower prices , instead they

Bill R.
04-26-2006, 08:55 AM
use it for a campaign to tell us how they are doing everything thing that they can and that by taking away their freebies , tax credits etc, we'll be hurting ourselves? Here (http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/042606/news2.html)

onewhippedpuppy
04-26-2006, 09:06 AM
God bless the USA!

ThoreauHD
04-26-2006, 09:12 AM
That weblink is fubar Bill.

Since we're off topic here, by the way, I just figured out what OT means. You guys sound like homeys. Anyhow, I like how most of the cost of gas are taxes.. but the government would rather send the country back to 1929 than not have a federal/state gas tax.

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

I'm a libertarian, so this irks me quite a bit. Not as much as illegal invasion, imminent domain for walmart, or the Patriot act- but it's close.

It irks me even if it seems to be working, because eventually- this happens. Kinda like handing over printing money to a private company like the "Federal" Reserve. Then, here's a cool idea, take all that "federal" reserve fiat paper out of circulation so that no matter what you do you can't earn a dollar. And then welcome the great depression. Can't do that with gold/silver.

I really wish a open and free market existed. And that means that OPEC would not exist. But really, even if gasoline disappeared tommorrow, it would be better for everyone. We don't need oil to use hydrogen power. We don't need oil to use magnetism. We don't need oil to use solar heat. The only value that oil has is that is it cheap. When it's no longer cheap, it becomes as worthless as that 3.50 bottle of water.

Bill R.
04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
with IE rather than firefox or others.

Since we're off topic here, by the way, I just figured out what OT means. You guys sound like homeys. Anyhow, I like how most of the cost of gas are taxes.. but the government would rather send the country back to 1929 than not have a federal/state gas tax.

I'm a libertarian, so this irks me quite a bit. Not as much as illegal invasion, imminent domain for walmart, or the Patriot act- but it's close.

It irks me even if it seems to be working, because eventually- this happens. Kinda like handing over printing money to a private company like the "Federal" Reserve. Then, here's a cool idea, take all that "federal" reserve fiat paper out of circulation so that no matter what you do you can't earn a dollar. And then welcome the great depression. Can't do that with gold/silver.

I really wish a open and free market existed. And that means that OPEC would not exist. But really, even if gasoline disappeared tommorrow, it would be better for everyone. We don't need oil to use hydrogen power. We don't need oil to use magnetism. We don't need oil to use solar heat. The only value that oil has is that is it cheap. When it's no longer cheap, it becomes as worthless as that 3.50 bottle of water.

dacoyote
04-26-2006, 09:25 AM
The oil companies suck..... Peak Oil my ass...

ThoreauHD
04-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Ah, sorry. Yep, I'm mozilla/linux. Another reason why monopolies SUUUCK. ASP/.NET/MS-Java thanks you. Got damn Microsoft. Embrace, extend, and extinguish.

632 Regal
04-26-2006, 09:34 AM
with IE rather than firefox or others.
here for the firefox users, its in there vust all web page looking...

The oil industry is preparing a new, multimillion-dollar lobbying and educational campaign in response to growing political pressures brought on by rising gas prices, oil lobbyists said.</p>
<p>The American Petroleum Institute (API), the industry’s main trade group, plans a yearlong grassroots lobbying push that could cost in excess of $30 million to explain how the industry works and what has caused pump prices to jump.</p>
<p>The campaign would follow a national advertising effort that has cost around $25 million so far. The API launched it in October as companies began to report record revenues and members of both parties urged punitive measures, such as new taxes on what they saw as “windfall” profits.</p>
<p>Jim Craig, API vice president for communications, said the group is considering new ways to communicate with the public and politicians as it continues its advertising campaign.</p>
<p>He said no decisions have been made about the parameters of the new effort. He described it as a continued attempt at “educational outreach.”</p>
<p>One oil lobbyist described the new campaign as more focused on grassroots lobbying, with the API working with local groups to build support.</p>
<p>“The industry hopes to focus more intensely on the political and public audiences to better educate them on the issues,” one lobbyist familiar with the new effort said.</p>
<p>The effort could begin as early as June, one lobbyist said. The API is reviewing firms that specialize in grassroots efforts to help.</p>
<p>Among the points the API has made on Capitol Hill and elsewhere is that oil companies are spending more than ever on exploration to increase supply.</p>
<p>To counter punitive moves against the industry, the API also notes that pensions and retirement accounts hold 41 percent of big oil stocks.</p>
<p>Critics have recently pointed to outgoing ExxonMobil CEO Lee Raymond’s generous retirement package as further proof that oil companies are not working hard enough to reduce gas prices. The package includes nearly $400 million in pensions, stock options and other perks.</p>
<p>ExxonMobil made $36 billion in 2005, the largest profit ever recorded. Other oil companies also had record years.</p>
<p>As the summer driving season approaches and gasoline prices march upward, the political parties are laying blame.</p>
<p>Democrats increasingly mention the pocketbook issue on the campaign trail.</p>
<p>“While the do-nothing Republican Congress continues to sit by while gas prices skyrocket, we are encouraging Democratic candidates to talk about real reform initiatives that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil by reinvesting in renewable energy,” said Jen Psaki, a spokeswoman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.</p>
<p>In a news release, House Majority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) blamed Democrats for blocking pro-production policies that could have eased the supply crunch that some people say is behind the recent rise in prices.</p>
<p>But Republicans, traditionally an ally of the oil industry, have also recently sought to distance themselves from it.</p>
<p>House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) wrote the administration Monday urging an investigation into price gouging.</p>
<p>In a speech to the Renewable Fuels Association yesterday, President Bush said he would halt deposits in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve for the summer to increase supplies. And he said the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission would investigate whether there has been any price manipulation.</p>
<p>If the industry has few public friends, its critics have been unable so far to pass a number of bills designed to ease gas prices.</p>
<p>Plenty of threats remain, however. Members on both sides of the aisle have introduced a variety of bills the industry considers onerous. They include a tax on windfall profits. The industry has argued that such a tax would lead to less money spent on exploration, which could further constrain oil supplies.</p>
<p>A bill with bipartisan support among Senate Judiciary Committee members would direct antitrust enforcement agencies such as the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission to take a closer look at any proposed mergers in the industry.</p>
<p>Democrats are apparently preparing a new effort to charge the industry higher royalties, which already bring in billions of dollars a year to federal coffers, one oil lobbyist said.</p>
<p>Oversight committees have promised a series of meetings, some of which are likely to focus on efforts the industry favors, such as opening new areas to oil and gas drilling.</p>
<p>In addition, several House and Senate committees are promising to scrutinize the industry in hearings. Some are likely to call for pro-production policies, including opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.</p>
<p>President Bush also said he would seek to increase refining capacity by easing the permitting process for expanding refineries or building new ones.

DaCan23
04-26-2006, 09:38 AM
With all the gas price bitchen the past year or whatever, I totally agree... why doesnt the gov just lower the taxes on fuel temporarily....

People using less gas = less taxes
Lowering gas taxes = more gas use to offset tax reduction

But the biggest problem with the good ole USA is that most politicians are horrible business people.... Der the government is like a business... having a bunch of liars and crooks gets us nowhere...

Bill R.
04-26-2006, 09:51 AM
IE for all those pages that just won't open any other way..:)

Ah, sorry. Yep, I'm mozilla/linux. Another reason why monopolies SUUUCK. ASP/.NET/MS-Java thanks you. Got damn Microsoft. Embrace, extend, and extinguish.

ThoreauHD
04-26-2006, 09:58 AM
285 Miles per Gallon? Sounds like a plan.
http://www.jetcar.de/english/jetcar_eng.htm

I firmly believe that politicians will cause 3 Billion people to die before it's over. I also think that control of weapon(s) that can destroy all life on earth should be managed by at least 5 Presidents. Having one guy/gal in control of that is insane. The guy chokes on a corn chip, has a partial brain aneurism, and decides the turn Canada into a permanent s'mores roastin summer resort. It's just bad.

But, yea, gas won't be coming down. Once OPEC was formed and they got organized the prices have increased at 45 degrees. We'll be even with Europe in about 2 years. 5-7 dollars a gallon.

Now you know why the cars in europe look like sardine cans. And that one car, I forgot the name(Citreon HE somethin).. hot yellow/green/red plastic bubble car I saw some guy on the autobahn with.

Wasn't a mini, but a 3 wheel 1 1/2 seat efficiency car. I was scared for the guy. They were trying hard to pimp those cars in germany when I was there in 2000. I don't know if it worked, but damn they looked unsafe. Hate to see an 18-wheeler say howdy to one of those things.

In any event, we'll get used to the high prices. What people don't realize is that everything you now buy just went up. Which means everyone's salary just went down. Which means recession. That bag of coffee just went up 3 dollars at the grocery. That's the real pisser.

dacoyote
04-26-2006, 10:09 AM
IE for all those pages that just won't open any other way..:)

It's a good one to have...