PDA

View Full Version : Inspection II parts list (am I good?)

granit_silber
04-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Hey Everyone,

I'm planning to do my Inspection II in the coming weeks and wanted your input about the parts I'll be purchasing and their brands. All of this I've gotten off the BMA site just now (except for the fluids).

I've already done the coolant flush/water pump/t-stat replacement and the hoses look great.

Belts
Continental
Alternator Belt 6PK1555
A/C Belt 5PK906 (there was a note that the org belt was a 5PK890 but BMW changed it)

Filters
Mann Fuel Filter
Mann Air Filter
Mahle Oil Filter

O2 Sensor
Bosch (no brainer)

Fluids
Red Line (75w90) for the rear diff
ATE SuperBlue or SuperGold for the brakes
P/S ????? (I'm pretty sure that I need ATF in there, I'll double check. brand suggestions?)
ATF Fluid - Bentley says Dexron II? I thought it was that Shell stuff.

Minus the fluids the total for parts comes to 140.89, I figure another $60 in fluids and I'm good to go.

I've never heard of CRP and I wasn't sure if Mann or Meyle or Mahle was the filter maker to go with.

Thanks,
Ashley

Bill R.
04-26-2006, 07:48 AM
trans and the power steering ,assuming that your power steering doesn't have any chf 7 or 11 labels on it. Castrol is also one of the approved fluids for your transhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transfluid1.jpg

Hey Everyone,

I'm planning to do my Inspection II in the coming weeks and wanted your input about the parts I'll be purchasing and their brands. All of this I've gotten off the BMA site just now (except for the fluids).

I've already done the coolant flush/water pump/t-stat replacement and the hoses look great.

Belts
Continental
Alternator Belt 6PK1555
A/C Belt 5PK906 (there was a note that the org belt was a 5PK890 but BMW changed it)

Filters
Mann Fuel Filter
Mann Air Filter
Mahle Oil Filter

O2 Sensor
Bosch (no brainer)

Fluids
Red Line (75w90) for the rear diff
ATE SuperBlue or SuperGold for the brakes
P/S ????? (I'm pretty sure that I need ATF in there, I'll double check. brand suggestions?)
ATF Fluid - Bentley says Dexron II? I thought it was that Shell stuff.

Minus the fluids the total for parts comes to 140.89, I figure another $60 in fluids and I'm good to go.

I've never heard of CRP and I wasn't sure if Mann or Meyle or Mahle was the filter maker to go with.

Thanks,
Ashley

DaCan23
04-26-2006, 07:51 AM
I'd suggest quickly inspecting your pulleys, last time I did my belts one of them had a chunk missing and had to be replaced.

JD525IA
04-26-2006, 08:15 AM
I have found that Dexron II was replace by Dexron III.

If your p/s resevoir says ATF on the cap, then use the Dexron in it. If not, use the specific power steering fluid that your manual calls for.

Your parts list looks pretty complete to me. Is the O2 sensor part of the Insp.II ?

JD

granit_silber
04-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Is the O2 sensor part of the Insp.II ?

JD

Thanks!

About the o2 sensor. It's supossed to be changed every 60k and I think I'm still running on the original.
-ashley

granit_silber
04-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks Bill!
-ashley

BillionPa
04-26-2006, 06:11 PM
for ATF use a 50/50 mix of Redline D4 and B&M sythetic TrickShift. it runs like butter.

Dont forget the ATF filter kit.

The PS fluid may be CHF 11 or 71.

Coolant flush!

how many miles on the spark plugs? how many miles on the ignition coil and distributor rotor? you changed the air cabin microfilter in the last 10K? every change your wiper blades?

Dont forget some Redline 10W40 for the engine.

Run techron fuel system cleaner in your gas for the next 2 weeks to get the injectors nice and clean, that way when all the other stuff is done they will pump fuel more evenly.

Also check the brake pads thickness and the rotors for lips, i would also get some permatex brake guide pin lube, and a set of guide pin replacement kits for each rotor.

dont forget to wax the paint and rainx the windows when you are done!!

Alexlind123
04-26-2006, 07:14 PM

Ashley

Isnt the oxygen sensor alone $141.32?

granit_silber
04-27-2006, 03:50 AM
Isnt the oxygen sensor alone $141.32?
Alex,
Nope BMA's got 'em for $74 and change

-ashley

granit_silber
04-27-2006, 03:59 AM
for ATF use a 50/50 mix of Redline D4 and B&M sythetic TrickShift. it runs like butter.

Dont forget the ATF filter kit.
I'm going to let my indy do that. I don't like the thought of lying on the ground underneath a running car.

The PS fluid may be CHF 11 or 71.
Yeah, I'll check (it's been raining solid since Monday)

Coolant flush!
It was done several times :) (who knew you had to sand the block to remove old fragments of a paper gasket?)

how many miles on the spark plugs? how many miles on the ignition coil and distributor rotor?
less than 12k on the plugs. 7k on one coil, all the others are original (planned replacement in late summer)

you changed the air cabin microfilter in the last 10K?
Crap! forgot about that.

every change your wiper blades?
Nope and they need it.

Dont forget some Redline 10W40 for the engine.
I run Castrol GTX High Mileage (dino) or Valvoline MaxLife (dino) both at 20w50.

Also check the brake pads thickness and the rotors for lips, i would also get some permatex brake guide pin lube, and a set of guide pin replacement kits for each rotor.
Hmmm....maybe some 540 calipers and rotors :D

Thanks!
-ashley

Alexlind123
04-27-2006, 05:08 AM
This is what i get.

1 Results Found. Please scroll to see all matches.
Part Number
Brand Description Stock Core Price
BSH006698

BOSCH Oxygen Sensor
Available 0.00 141.32

granit_silber
04-27-2006, 06:22 AM
This is what i get.

1 Results Found. Please scroll to see all matches.
Part Number
Brand Description Stock Core Price
BSH006698

BOSCH Oxygen Sensor
Available 0.00 141.32

That seems weird. Does the M30 use a different sensor. The part number for mine is BSH006716

Russell
04-27-2006, 07:31 AM
BMW OE ox sensors last longer per my local indpendent BMW shop. They have no real reason why, except they have noted fewer failures with ox sensors from the dealer vs Bosch sensors.

Russell
04-27-2006, 07:33 AM
I like Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. I am 12,000 miles into my most recent fluid filter change. I do it every 30,000 miles. It works well in the cold and heat with no apparent difference in performance. My local indy does it for me.

BillionPa
04-27-2006, 04:10 PM
I run Castrol GTX High Mileage (dino) or Valvoline MaxLife (dino) both at 20w50.

better change the oil every 5K then.

and 20W50? thats only lowering your gas mileage, and VERY BAD for your engine when starting if you havent ran the engine for 2 days.

consider a pre-oiler system and maybe a bypass filter