PDA

View Full Version : OBC outside temp. warning. How to shut it off...

Montreal525
04-26-2006, 06:36 AM
My OBC warning chimes in everytime the outside temp. hits 3 degrees Celcius. Can you change it or is it a factory setting. With all that's happened in the last 2 months, every time I hear the warning chime, my heart stops....:p

I don't have an owner's manual and it's not covered in the Bentley. I've played with it to see if I could be so lucky as to turn it off but no luck...Since the outside temp. this time of year is around 3, espicially in the evening, the damn thing keeps going off and it's getting a bit annoying...

Jeff

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-26-2006, 06:42 AM
My OBC warning chimes in everytime the outside temp. hits 3 degrees Celcius. Can you change it or is it a factory setting. With all that's happened in the last 2 months, every time I hear the warning chime, my heart stops....:p

I don't have an owner's manual and it's not covered in the Bentley. I've played with it to see if I could be so lucky as to turn it off but no luck...Since the outside temp. this time of year is around 3, espicially in the evening, the damn thing keeps going off and it's getting a bit annoying...

Jeff

The gong is quite loud and cannot be "programmed" away. You could just un-plug the gong but I wouldn't. I muffled mine using some of the ex's makeup removing pads cut to fit between the gong module and its grille. 3 thick works pretty well - you can still hear it, but it doesn't give you a heart attack.

Javier
04-26-2006, 06:51 AM
No resetting nor disabling function that I know off.

If you don't care to loose that feature, I can suggest you a switch-resistor array to fool the temperature probe, and rise the temperature reading.

But you will be loosing this safety warning, if switch left in bypass mode.

Javier

Robin-535im
04-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Move to Florida? :)

Montreal525
04-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys... I want to keep the warning chime, it probably saved my engine when when the W/P blew up, but the first time it wnet off after the repairs, I almost had a heart attack... but why 3 degrees...? I wanted to set it at -30 degrees, now there's a temp. worthy of a warning...

Jeff

Qube
04-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Heh. I can't count all the times one of my passengers have said "WHAT'S WRONG?!" in panic when it goes off ;) Of course that's followed with a WOW! after I explain the reason behind it.

Montreal525
04-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Move to Florida? :)

No snowboarding down there.... I don't want to be cheesy, but I'd go California, you can have both... Sun and snow...:D

Jeff

Black 535i
04-26-2006, 08:07 AM
...that this is the temperature at whick black ice seems to form so it is just giving you a warning regarding your driving skills or style. I would leave it as it is a good wake up reminder to watch the roads and overpasses and since it is going off wherever you are it appears that there is a chance of black ice there.