PDA

View Full Version : PS hose questions

onewhippedpuppy
04-26-2006, 05:58 AM
My hoses are leaking right at the reservoir where they connect, can I just replace the rubber parts with standard PS hose?

Jzza4
04-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Not sure about the hose but I had a leak that was leaking onto the air filter box between the PS reservior. Just had to tighten the clamps and no more leak.

onewhippedpuppy
04-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Already tried that, no go. The ends of the hose are splitting, so I think it's seeping around the clamp.

onewhippedpuppy
04-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Anybody?

athflying79
04-26-2006, 04:03 PM
I don't know how different the 540 is, but mine had banjo fittings at the other end so I ordered it from BMA. If yours is just regular hose from the reservoir to the pump, don't see why you couldn't use it.

onewhippedpuppy
04-26-2006, 05:26 PM
That's my question, I have heat shielding down there so I can't see the ends. I wanted to know if it was a connector I could tie into with a regular PS hose.

shogun
04-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Why do you not look into the online parts catalog?
I can tell you that the high pressure hoses have special bended pipes for BMW and are connected with hollow bolts. And that on both sides. Because the hoses are layed out for 200 bar!!!
The return lines from for example the power steering pump has such a connection on one side and on the other side on the reservoir just a normal hose clamp.
So you have to find out first if it is the high or the low pressure line.

yaofeng
04-26-2006, 05:43 PM
That's my question, I have heat shielding down there so I can't see the ends. I wanted to know if it was a connector I could tie into with a regular PS hose.

Can you see the hose from the pile? There is a banjo bolt connection on the other end (the PS pump end). But the reservoir end is not pressurized. If you can trim the top end off and still make connection, you can save yourself some money. Otherwise you need to get one new.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_2793.jpg

yaofeng
04-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Oh no..The hose (item #15)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&btnr=32_0680&hg=32&fg=20

costs $153 and change from the following link,

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=26

If you are cheap like me and if you are reasonably handy, let me give you the following suggestion. The top connection is easy. It is just a hose clamp. The bottom connection is also not that hard. Remove the front plastic pan (four plastic nuts, 10 mm socket). Loosen and remove the banjo bolt to pull the hose (22mm or 23 mm wrench, IIRC). Bring it to a hydraulic shop (check Yahoo yellow pages for a hose shop near you). They'll scrap the rubber part, keep the metal part and make a new hose for you for under $40.

One way or another, there is no getting around draining the Pentosin.

onewhippedpuppy
04-27-2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks guys. No idea how old the Pentosin is, so it may not hurt to change it anyway. Shogun, realoem is the first place I check, but on the diagram it looks as if one hose is only connected by hose clamps at both ends, I assume it's the return. Also, I've seen banjo connections with a barbed end that clamp on, I didn't know it was a crimped on one. Another project to add to the list.

genphreak
04-28-2006, 04:00 AM
My hoses are leaking right at the reservoir where they connect, can I just replace the rubber parts with standard PS hose?Mine is older than yours; I changed the resovoir (a lot of them leak discretely around the middle (perhaps from being overfilled. It is easy to incorrectly measure as it the system has to be warm).

Cost only $25 with a new filter (original ZF part).

I cut 10mm off the ends of the hoses and used new stainless clamps, changedfrom Dexron to synthetic fluid. All good. The hoses are braided high pressure oil+heat resisitant. If changing you must maintain same properties...

:) Nick