PDA

View Full Version : Torque wrenches on sale in Sears

Alpinewhite
04-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi All,

Are these good deals?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944593000

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944595000&tab=des#tab

I am planning to do complex things ( for me :) ) things like head gasket replacement in the long run. Will these torque wrenches stand up to it?

Thanks
Arun

dacoyote
04-26-2006, 03:52 AM
I have a craftsman one that does 5 to like 75.... it has yet to let me down....

DaCan23
04-26-2006, 04:01 AM
Does anyone know if Sears recalibrates torque wrenches? What if its a husky one from HD... I know HD & Lowes dont recalibrate.

DaCan23
04-26-2006, 04:02 AM
So how do you torque the lugs? Give it the ole Ohio yank on the breaker bar for the extra 10-15lbs?

I have a craftsman one that does 5 to like 75.... it has yet to let me down....

Rigmaster
04-26-2006, 04:29 AM
Craftsman torque wrenches are fine for head gasket, etc. Keep in mind that they are NOT covered by the normal "lifetime" hand tool warranty that covers other Craftsman tools. Not sure, but I think it's either 6 months or 1 year.

Sears around here does not calibrate torque wrenches. This topic comes up periodically, and no one seems to have a good answer. The only calibration service I've been able to find costs more than buying a new wrench.

I figure the main thing a torque wrench is good for, even if it does get out of calibration, is EVEN tightening of fasteners.

Bret.

Qube
04-26-2006, 06:48 AM
Craftsman torque wrenches are fine for head gasket, etc. Keep in mind that they are NOT covered by the normal "lifetime" hand tool warranty that covers other Craftsman tools. Not sure, but I think it's either 6 months or 1 year.

Sears around here does not calibrate torque wrenches. This topic comes up periodically, and no one seems to have a good answer. The only calibration service I've been able to find costs more than buying a new wrench.

I figure the main thing a torque wrench is good for, even if it does get out of calibration, is EVEN tightening of fasteners.

Bret.

Ohhhh really? I thought all hand tools were covered. I've had to 'recore' my sockets so many times they have it ready when I walk in :)

Bill R.
04-26-2006, 06:55 AM
90 days not 6 months

Bret.

Gearhead
04-26-2006, 07:07 AM
These torque wrenches will outlast you and stay in calibration so long as you take care of them properly. Every time you use it, you have got to be sure to back the setting back down to zero when you're done. Even if you're going to use it again in a half hour or so and especially when you're putting them away, you have to back it off to zero. It's all about that internal spring keeping it's original tension.

dacoyote
04-26-2006, 08:09 AM
So how do you torque the lugs? Give it the ole Ohio yank on the breaker bar for the extra 10-15lbs?

LOL... I guess at how tight.... :-)

Alpinewhite
04-26-2006, 08:59 AM
From web on Torque wrench care

Causes For Failures In Torque Wrenches

Use: The more often a wrench is used the faster it will wear.

Misuse: Any measuring instrument that is used for any purpose other than what it was designed for usually will experience premature failure or become suspect in its accuracy (i.e. dropping or using it as a pry bar or a hammer).

Improper Maintenance: Failure to inspect, lubricate, adjust, replace worn parts and failure to recertify to a known traceable standard causes the instrument to become suspect.

Improper Storage: Storing any instrument in a location that has high temperatures, humidity or in a corrosive atmosphere may cause failures. Storing adjustable click style wrenches above the lowest setting will cause premature main spring wear.

Torque Wrench Care

Wrenches should be stored in cases if equipped. Do not store in areas of high temperatures, humidity or in areas where corrosive vapors are present.
Adjustable "Click Style" wrenches should be stored set to the lowest setting on the scale.
Ratchets should be inspected for wear and cleaned and lubricated often.
Handle "Pivot Pins" should be inspected to ensure free movement of the handle.
Beam style wrenches should never be etched on their beam or have labels placed on the beam.
Keep moisture, paint, solvents from entering the inside of all wrenches. Wipe wrench often.
Have wrench repaired as needed and recertified yearly at a minimum. Recertification should be determined by usage. Wrenches should be calibrated at 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100% of Full Scale or as instructed by the manufacturer. If a wrench is ever dropped it should be recertified prior to use.
Wrenches should be calibrated and certified yearly at a maximum. Depending on usage, a torque wrench may require more frequent calibration. Selection of calibration standards or calibration vendor should be done with caution. Not all standards can certify all tools. The same is true of calibration labortories. Even though a vendor may be accredited the scope of accreditation should be read and understood. Many accredited laboratories have a limited scope of accreditation. These limitations may be due to accuracy, range technical competence, etc. If you are shopping for an accredited laboratory please compare our scope with a vendor that you are now using or are thinking of using.

liquidtiger720
04-26-2006, 10:44 AM
so for the average home mechanic like myself, do you guys think the $50 1/2in drive be good enough?

Rigmaster
04-26-2006, 02:25 PM
so for the average home mechanic like myself, do you guys think the $50 1/2in drive be good enough?

Absolutely. From what I've seen, accuracy for most of the cheaper click-type wrenches is about the same- until you get up to ~$200 or more, even then, the difference is usually small. I have a ~$50 1/2" drive Craftsman clicker type, as well as a couple of the el-cheapo ~$20 1/2" Harbor Freight/Autozone type. I use them as breaker bars once they break, and then buy another for torque use.

Bret.

Chris'91'525i
04-27-2006, 11:46 AM

The more cumbersome "beam' type torque wrench have a 'lifetime' warranty, but as stated by others the 'clickers' have a very short warranty period.