PDA

View Full Version : High performance water pump

liquidtiger720
04-25-2006, 08:51 PM
So, i keep seeing this thing in the roundel and wondered what you guys thought of it for the e34 when the pump needs replacement.

Good for the money?

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/4231/category_id/48/search_year/1995/search_model/48

BigKriss
04-25-2006, 10:24 PM
4 to 5 times more expensive than normal = Expensive.

Rustam
04-26-2006, 12:13 AM
So, i keep seeing this thing in the roundel and wondered what you guys thought of it for the e34 when the pump needs replacement.

Good for the money?

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/4231/category_id/48/search_year/1995/search_model/48

side issue: I don't do business with bmpdesign.

I ordered a set of intake manifold gaskets for m30 enigne. Simple statement so what went wrong?

1 - they sent me exhaust gaskets instead
2 - the gaskets were for m50 engine instead
3 - kept insisting to me that those gaskets were "for my car" - apparently they know better than the person who can actively hold them up to the manifold for comparison.

My advice - stay away from bmpdesign unless you care to buy something trivial - their polyurethane ball joint boots are ok...

and besides - don't buy high volume water pump unless you've calculated speed of water passage, cross sectional area of the radiator surface, radiation power, etc. and came to conclusion that you need a pump capable of that delivery rate. otherwise you will be wasting your money...

Johntee540
04-26-2006, 12:50 AM
That is the stewart pump. Its not so much high performance as it is a better designed higher quality pump that wont disintergrate over time like the OEM pumps do. I wouldve spent the money for my 540 if they made one for the 540. Another place to source them is: www.zionsvilleautosport.com.

That is where they also sell the all aluminum radiator that wont fail as well for $500. Ask me why I have cooling systems on the mind! - JT

winfred
04-26-2006, 04:06 AM
you can buy 3 to 4 regular aftermarket metal impeller pumps for what that thing costs, chances are one may out live the car unless you are unlucky and get a hunk of **** like a geba pump where the bearings fall out in a year or two

Tiger
04-26-2006, 05:02 AM
For up to 5 extra gallon per minutes performance? You gotta be kidding. If you really want to improve your cooling performance... then get a larger radiator.

granit_silber
04-26-2006, 06:14 AM

Good for the money?

Rebuildable, no cavitation at high rpm's
-ashley

granit_silber
04-26-2006, 06:14 AM
If you really want to improve your cooling performance... then get a larger radiator.

$110 vs. $400+
-ashley

Bill R.
04-26-2006, 06:42 AM
flow and pressure of the pump can just cause more heating problems rather than less. You want the water to flow through the radiator at a certain speed allowing it to transfer as much heat as possible while its in the radiator. Frequently higher volume pumps move the water through the radiator too fast , not allowing enough time to pull as much heat away from the coolant as possible. Not to mention that the more pressure and volume the pump puts out ,the more horsepower it steals from the engine to do so.
I've never had any problems here in arizona running the stock pumps and stock radiators on bmw's

Good for the money?

fkong777
04-26-2006, 07:15 AM
I dont think it will help to have higher water pump pressure. The flow of water will still need to go thru the restriction of the termostat. Unless you have a larger radiator and running without a termostat. It would be useless.

Can be useful for Race tuned M50 but not really so much for a street driven M50.

granit_silber
04-26-2006, 07:27 AM
flow and pressure of the pump can just cause more heating problems rather than less. You want the water to flow through the radiator at a certain speed allowing it to transfer as much heat as possible while its in the radiator. Frequently higher volume pumps move the water through the radiator too fast , not allowing enough time to pull as much heat away from the coolant as possible. Not to mention that the more pressure and volume the pump puts out ,the more horsepower it steals from the engine to do so.
I've never had any problems here in arizona running the stock pumps and stock radiators on bmw's
Bill,

That makes a ton of sense. I was planning to purchase that pump when my current pump's time is up. Thanks for saving me the cash!

-ashley

Anton CH.
04-26-2006, 10:43 AM
I believe current Roundell has a review of this thing. I was kind of thinking about this thing too. The pump does look like it was built to last.

Bill: I was taught slightly differently. The greater the coolant velocity, the greater heat flux.