PDA

View Full Version : Chalkboard like scratching sound near my feet when steering!?

Jzza4
04-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Picked up my car from the auto shop, had the Sachs kit installed, new brakes and rotors, upper/lower control arms, idler arm, front sway bar links, center/R/L tie rods, motor mounts, and wheel bearings.

Now, when I steer, usually when going slow or at a standstill, it makes a chalkboard like scratching sound near my feet. It only seems to occur during the initial turn of the wheel.

Anyone else experience this? Is this a case of "tighten the nut behind the wheel"?

Thanks for any help.

Jzza4
04-26-2006, 02:13 AM
BMWP....er BUMP^

pingu
04-26-2006, 03:17 AM
I don't know about the screetching noise, but I'm thinking of getting the idler arm and the centre tie rod replaced next time my car (similar mileage to yours) goes in for a service. Have you noticed much improvement in steering response? - mine seems a big soggy (maybe I'll get the steering box adusted too)

Jzza4
04-26-2006, 06:25 AM
I haven't really driven the car much with the new stuff (waiting to put on rims and get an alignment).

The steering feels much improved with the limited driving, It was like driving without power steering before! Shocks and springs feel smooth over bumps as well (mechanic said my front shocks were destroyed). Springs lowered the car about 1.5" in the front and less than an inch in the rear.