PDA

View Full Version : is the audio feed from the oem pioneer head unit pre-amp or amplified???

tim s
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
i am intending to install a new & use the existing head unit, cd changer, crossover, & speakers.
thanks
tim s.

onewhippedpuppy
04-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Speaker level outputs are amplified by the head unit. The RCA plugs on the back are pre-amp.

tim s
04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
thanks
tim s.

pundit
04-25-2006, 01:25 PM
so basically the bmw amp is just a booster of sorts???
Yes, but if using a head unit with line level pre-outs and a seperate amp you can bypass the booster section and feed the aftermarket amp directly into the factory crossover which will allow you to retain the factory wiring and speakers. Please note this upgrade only applies to cars fitted with factory premium sound.

Yes I agree it's time to fully document the whole E34 audio upgrade procedure!!

genphreak
04-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Yes, but if using a head unit with line level pre-outs and a seperate amp you can bypass the booster section and feed the aftermarket amp directly into the factory crossover which will allow you to retain the factory wiring and speakers. Please note this upgrade only applies to cars fitted with factory premium sound.

Yes I agree it's time to fully document the whole E34 audio upgrade procedure!!Documentation is being worked on over here (thanks Anthony in Calgary for the pic links) . I already posted the diagram on the premium sound upgrade. It was the first pass, I will improve it to make it more clear as to what one has to do...

I agree its long overdue- I've been on this board for ages and altho I knew how it all was connected I could never verify that weird **** was going on in the wiring as done by the PO- and no one ever discussed the damned amplifier/crossover in the back as a wretched BOOSTER amp. That would have made my life so much easier. That A/D/S document doesn;t even do that, they shoudl really know better... what a PITA the stereo has been until now... Nick